Обсуждение: Re: [HACKERS] proposal: session server side variables (fwd)

Re: [HACKERS] proposal: session server side variables (fwd)

От
Fabien COELHO
Дата:
<Argh, wrong sender again, sorry [again] for the repost. I must tweak my mail client configuration...>

>>> Good. So we seem to agree that GUCS are transactional?
>
> I'm surprised, I never knew this.

I must admit that it was also a (good) surprise for me.

The documentation says it:

"""
If SET (or equivalently SET SESSION) is issued within a transaction that is
later aborted, the effects of the SET command disappear when the transaction is
rolled back. Once the surrounding transaction is committed, the effects will
persist until the end of the session, unless overridden by another SET.
"""

But I have not found anything clear about user-defined parameters.

--
Fabien.

Re: [HACKERS] proposal: session server side variables (fwd)

Дата:
On Thu, Jan  5, 2017 at 11:45:24AM +0100, Fabien COELHO wrote:

> <Argh, wrong sender again, sorry [again] for the repost.
>  I must tweak my mail client configuration...>

> >I'm surprised, I never knew this.
>
> I must admit that it was also a (good) surprise for me.
>
> The documentation says it:
>
> """
> If SET (or equivalently SET SESSION) is issued within a transaction that is
> later aborted, the effects of the SET command disappear when the transaction
> is rolled back. Once the surrounding transaction is committed, the effects
> will persist until the end of the session, unless overridden by another SET.
> """
>
> But I have not found anything clear about user-defined parameters.

Uh, I think it is a missing feature, i.e.:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo#AdministrationHave custom variables be transaction-safe
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/4B577E9F.8000505@dunslane.net

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] proposal: session server side variables (fwd)

От
Fabien COELHO
Дата:
Hello Bruce,

> Uh, I think it is a missing feature, i.e.:
>
>     https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo#Administration
>     Have custom variables be transaction-safe
>     https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/4B577E9F.8000505@dunslane.net

Hmmm, that is a subtle one:-)

After more testing, the current status is that the values of existing
user-defined parameters is cleanly transactional, as already tested:
 fabien=# SET x.x = 'before'; fabien=# BEGIN; fabien=# SET x.x = 'inside'; fabien=# ROLLBACK; fabien=# SHOW x.x; --
'before'

This is what I meant by "GUCs are transactional".

However, as you point out, the existence of the parameter is not: If it is
created within an aborted transaction then it still exists afterwards:
 fabien=# SHOW z.z; ERROR:  unrecognized configuration parameter "z.z" fabien=# BEGIN; fabien=# SET z.z = 'yep';
fabien=#ROLLBACK; fabien=# SHOW z.z; -- no error, empty string shown

So GUCs are... half-transactional? :-)

From the security-related use case perspective, this half transactionality
is enough, but it is not very clean. Does not look like a very big issue
to fix, it just seems that nobody bothered in the last 6 years...

--
Fabien.