Обсуждение: [GENERAL] Plpgsql - Custom fields Postgres 9.5

[GENERAL] Plpgsql - Custom fields Postgres 9.5

От
Patrick B
Дата:
Hi,

I've got this query, that I manually run it once a month:

SELECT
    uuid,
    clientid),
    *
FROM
    logging
WHERE
    logtime
BETWEEN
    '201611015'
AND
    '201612015'

As you can see, I select a date. So in December, the date will be: BETWEEN '201612015' AND '201601015', for example.

I always need to run this on the 15th of each month.
I was thinking about creating a PLPGSQL function and a Cron task, so this task can be automated.

Also, the file must be saved with the date+.csv. Example:

CREATE or REPLACE FUNCTION logextract(date_start integer, date_end integer)
    RETURNS void AS $$
    begin
      execute '
      COPY
          (
          SELECT
              uuid,
              clientid),
              *
          FROM
              logging
          WHERE
              logtime
          BETWEEN
             ' || date_start || '
          AND
              ' || date_end || '
          )
      TO ''/var/lib/postgresql/'|| date_start ||'_logs.csv''';
    end
    $$ language 'plpgsql';

Questions:

1. Why when I run the function manually I get this error?
select logextract(201612015, 201612015);
ERROR:  operator does not exist: timestamp without time zone >= integer
LINE 13:                 BETWEEN

 I presume this is wrong: CREATE or REPLACE FUNCTION logextract(date_start integer, date_end integer) - But what should I use instead?

2. To call the function, I have to login to postgres and then run: select logextract(201612015, 201612015);
How can I do it on cron? because the dates will be different every time.

Thanks
Patrick

Re: [GENERAL] Plpgsql - Custom fields Postgres 9.5

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 12/14/2016 01:17 PM, Patrick B wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got this query, that I manually run it once a month:
>
>     SELECT
>         uuid,
>         clientid),
>         *
>     FROM
>         logging
>     WHERE
>         logtime
>     BETWEEN
>         '201611015'
>     AND
>         '201612015'
>

> As you can see, I select a date. So in December, the date will be:
> *BETWEEN '201612015' AND '201601015'*, for example.
>
> I always need to run this on the 15th of each month.
> I was thinking about creating a PLPGSQL function and a Cron task, so
> this task can be automated.
>
> Also, the file must be saved with the date+.csv. Example:
>
>         CREATE or REPLACE FUNCTION logextract(date_start integer,
>         date_end integer)
>
>             RETURNS void AS $$
>
>             begin
>
>               execute '
>
>               COPY
>
>                   (
>
>                   SELECT
>
>                       uuid,
>
>                       clientid),
>
>                       *
>
>                   FROM
>
>                       logging
>
>                   WHERE
>
>                       logtime
>
>                   BETWEEN
>
>                      ' || date_start || '
>
>                   AND
>
>                       ' || date_end || '
>
>                   )
>
>               TO ''/var/lib/postgresql/'|| date_start ||'_logs.csv''';
>
>             end
>
>             $$ language 'plpgsql';
>

> *Questions:*
>
> 1. Why when I run the function manually I get this error?
>
>         select logextract(201612015, 201612015);
>
>         ERROR:  operator does not exist: timestamp without time zone >=
>         integer
>
>         LINE 13:                 BETWEEN

The answer is above. Look at your original query at the top of the post.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Plpgsql - Custom fields Postgres 9.5

От
Patrick B
Дата:
1. Why when I run the function manually I get this error?

        select logextract(201612015, 201612015);

        ERROR:  operator does not exist: timestamp without time zone >=
        integer

        LINE 13:                 BETWEEN

The answer is above. Look at your original query at the top of the post.

 I presume this is wrong: _CREATE or REPLACE FUNCTION
logextract(date_start integer, date_end integer) _- But what should I
use instead?

You mean the error would be:
select logextract(201612015, 201612015);

When it was supposed to be: select logextract(201611015, 201612015);???

This is not the cause, because it was a mistake when I typed the email.
Even doing:

select logextract(20161115,20161215);

I get same error.

Re: [GENERAL] Plpgsql - Custom fields Postgres 9.5

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
As you can see, I select a date. So in December, the date will be: BETWEEN '201612015' AND '201601015', for example.

​That is an unusual timestamp value...what's the 5 for?​ (I've figured this out...but its still unusual)

1. Why when I run the function manually I get this error?
select logextract(201612015, 201612015);
ERROR:  operator does not exist: timestamp without time zone >= integer
LINE 13:                 BETWEEN

 I presume this is wrong: CREATE or REPLACE FUNCTION logextract(date_start integer, date_end integer) - But what should I use instead?

I don't understand why "date" wouldn't be your first choice here.​  Or, better yet, a single argument of type daterange.

2. To call the function, I have to login to postgres and then run: select logextract(201612015, 201612015);
How can I do it on cron? because the dates will be different every time.

​PostgreSQL knows what the current date is so describe how to compute your desired boundaries given a single date.
Dates and times are their own types in PostgreSQL.  They are incompatible with integers.  You either to convert one or the other if you want to perform a comparison.

David J.

Re: [GENERAL] Plpgsql - Custom fields Postgres 9.5

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 12/14/2016 01:30 PM, Patrick B wrote:
>         1. Why when I run the function manually I get this error?
>
>                 select logextract(201612015, 201612015);
>
>                 ERROR:  operator does not exist: timestamp without time
>         zone >=
>                 integer
>
>                 LINE 13:                 BETWEEN
>

>     The answer is above. Look at your original query at the top of the post.
>

>          I presume this is wrong: _CREATE or REPLACE FUNCTION
>         logextract(date_start integer, date_end integer) _- But what
>         should I
>         use instead?
>

>         <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>
>

> You mean the error would be:
> select logextract(201612015, 201612015);
>
> When it was supposed to be: select logextract(201611015, 201612015);???
>
> This is not the cause, because it was a mistake when I typed the email.
> Even doing:
>
> select logextract(20161115,20161215);
>

> I get same error.

You would. The error is:

ERROR:  operator does not exist: timestamp without time zone >= integer

Change this:

     BETWEEN

                  ' || date_start || '

               AND

                   ' || date_end || '

     BETWEEN

        date_start::text

     AND

        date_end::text

Or change the argument types to text and then:

BETWEEN

        date_start

     AND

        date_end

In either case you will have your original query.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

[...]

I tried either changing the argument types:

logextract(date_start text, date_end text)

and also the Between:
 BETWEEN

       date_start::text

    AND

       date_end::text

None of those worked:

ERROR:  function logextract(integer, integer) does not exist

LINE 1: select logextract(20160901,20161001);

Re: [GENERAL] Plpgsql - Custom fields Postgres 9.5

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
ERROR:  function logextract(integer, integer) does not exist

LINE 1: select logextract(20160901,20161001);

So change the constants you are passing into your function to text (i.e., surrounding them with single quotes) so it matches the new function signature.

There exists an element of understanding the options you are being given and adapting if something basic like this is overlooked.

David J.

Re: [GENERAL] Plpgsql - Custom fields Postgres 9.5

От
rob stone
On Wed, 2016-12-14 at 17:00 -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Patrick B <patrickbakerbr@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > ERROR:  function logextract(integer, integer) does not exist
> > LINE 1: select logextract(20160901,20161001);
> >

> So change the constants you are passing into your function to text
> (i.e., surrounding them with single quotes) so it matches the new
> function signature.
>
> There exists an element of understanding the options you are being
> given and adapting if something basic like this is overlooked.
>
> David J.

1) Have you run a \df+ and made sure the function has been created
correctly?

2) In your first post there is a single apostrophe after the execute
instruction. Can't see the closing apostrophe but then my eyesight is
not the best.

3) I've always found it easier to TO_CHAR a date column when using it
for comparison purposes.

HTH.
Rob

Re: [GENERAL] Plpgsql - Custom fields Postgres 9.5

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 5:12 PM, rob stone <floriparob@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, 2016-12-14 at 17:00 -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Patrick B <patrickbakerbr@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > ERROR:  function logextract(integer, integer) does not exist
> > LINE 1: select logextract(20160901,20161001);
> >

> So change the constants you are passing into your function to text
> (i.e., surrounding them with single quotes) so it matches the new
> function signature.
>
> There exists an element of understanding the options you are being
> given and adapting if something basic like this is overlooked.
>
> David J.

1) Have you run a \df+ and made sure the function has been created
correctly?

​It was created originally using integer arguments - and thus was being called that way.  It was intentionally changed to use "text" arguments per a suggestion but without any recognition that the call site needed to change as well - hence the error.​  Running \df+ would give the expected output.  What could be a problem is if the original function wasn't dropped so while the text arg'd one was created the actual call would still reference the old int arg'd version and any changes would not appear to have been made.

2) In your first post there is a single apostrophe after the execute
instruction. Can't see the closing apostrophe but then my eyesight is
not the best.

​I'd recommend using the "format" function but last time I did that the person I way trying to help got mad...​

3) I've always found it easier to TO_CHAR a date column when using it
for comparison purposes.

​I'm not following this "use text" approach at all...​I get the logistics but PostgreSQL allows for comparison of date typed data...

David J.

Re: [GENERAL] Plpgsql - Custom fields Postgres 9.5

От
Patrick B

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 5:12 PM, rob stone <floriparob@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, 2016-12-14 at 17:00 -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Patrick B <patrickbakerbr@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > ERROR:  function logextract(integer, integer) does not exist
> > LINE 1: select logextract(20160901,20161001);
> >

> So change the constants you are passing into your function to text
> (i.e., surrounding them with single quotes) so it matches the new
> function signature.
>
> There exists an element of understanding the options you are being
> given and adapting if something basic like this is overlooked.
>
> David J.

1) Have you run a \df+ and made sure the function has been created
correctly?

​It was created originally using integer arguments - and thus was being called that way.  It was intentionally changed to use "text" arguments per a suggestion but without any recognition that the call site needed to change as well - hence the error.​  Running \df+ would give the expected output.  What could be a problem is if the original function wasn't dropped so while the text arg'd one was created the actual call would still reference the old int arg'd version and any changes would not appear to have been made.

2) In your first post there is a single apostrophe after the execute
instruction. Can't see the closing apostrophe but then my eyesight is
not the best.

​I'd recommend using the "format" function but last time I did that the person I way trying to help got mad...​

3) I've always found it easier to TO_CHAR a date column when using it
for comparison purposes.

​I'm not following this "use text" approach at all...​I get the logistics but PostgreSQL allows for comparison of date typed data...

David J.

I've done:

1. Deleted all the functions;
2. Created a new function:

 CREATE or REPLACE FUNCTION l_extract(date_end text))
RETURNS void AS $$

DECLARE
date_start date := CURRENT_DATE;

begin
  execute '
  COPY
      (
      SELECT
          uuid,
          clientid,
          *
      FROM
          logging
      WHERE
          logtime
      BETWEEN
         ' || date_start || '
      AND
          ' || date_end || '
      )
  TO ''/var/lib/postgresql/'|| date_start ||'_logs.csv''';
end
$$ language 'plpgsql';

3. Calling the function:

select l_extract('20160901');

select l_extract('2016-09-01'); --> doesn't work either

4. Error:

ERROR:  operator does not exist: timestamp without time zone >= integer

LINE 13:                 BETWEEN

                         ^

HINT:  No operator matches the given name and argument type(s). You might need to add explicit type casts.

QUERY:

  COPY
      (
      SELECT
          uuid,
          clientid,
          *
      FROM
          logging
      WHERE
          logtime
      BETWEEN
        2016-12-15
      AND
          20160901

      )

  TO '/var/lib/postgresql/2016-12-15_logs.csv'

CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function iknock_log_extract(text) line 7 at EXECUTE

5. \d+ logging:

log_time           | timestamp(3) without time zone

6. Query below works:

      SELECT

          uuid,

          clientid,

          *

      FROM

          logging

      WHERE

          logtime

      BETWEEN

         '2016-12-15'

      AND

          '20160901'

Still can't understand what's going on =\

Re: [GENERAL] Plpgsql - Custom fields Postgres 9.5

От
armand pirvu
Дата:
I presume you point at me. Keep the record straight. I got mad not for the help but for the high horse attitude.
We all have good and bad. No one is perfect and no one deserves this crap

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]

          20160901

      )

  TO '/var/lib/postgresql/2016-12-15_logs.csv'

CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function iknock_log_extract(text) line 7 at EXECUTE

5. \d+ logging:

log_time           | timestamp(3) without time zone

6. Query below works:

      SELECT

          uuid,

          clientid,

          *

      FROM

          logging

      WHERE

          logtime

      BETWEEN

         '2016-12-15'

      AND

          '20160901'

Still can't understand what's going on =\

Re: [GENERAL] Plpgsql - Custom fields Postgres 9.5

Дата:
On 12/14/2016 05:19 PM, Patrick B wrote:

> [...]
>
>                           AND
>
>                               20160901
>
>                   )
>
>               TO '/var/lib/postgresql/2016-12-15_logs.csv'
>
>             CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function iknock_log_extract(text) line 7
>             at EXECUTE
>

> 5. \d+ logging:
>
>             log_time           | timestamp(3) without time zone
>

> 6. Query below works:
>
>                   SELECT
>
>                       uuid,
>
>                       clientid,
>
>                       *
>
>                   FROM
>
>                       logging
>
>                   WHERE
>
>                       logtime
>
>                   BETWEEN
>
>                      '2016-12-15'
>
>                   AND
>
>                       '20160901'
>

> Still can't understand what's going on =\

Reading the suggestions might help:)

Another try:

CREATE or REPLACE FUNCTION l_extract(date_start text, date_end text))

         RETURNS void AS $$

         begin

           execute '

           COPY

               (

               SELECT

                   uuid,

                   clientid,

                   *

               FROM

                   logging

               WHERE

                   logtime

               BETWEEN

                  date_start

               AND

                  date_end

               )

           TO ''/var/lib/postgresql/'|| date_start ||'_logs.csv''';

         end

         $$ language 'plpgsql';

select l_extract('201611015', '201612015');

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Plpgsql - Custom fields Postgres 9.5

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
Your query has single quotes surrounding the values in the between.  In the the error output they don't.  You need to modify the dynamic SQL so that they do.

David J.

Re: [GENERAL] Plpgsql - Custom fields Postgres 9.5

От
Lucas Possamai

[...]

ERROR:  column "date_start" does not exist

Patrick

Re: [GENERAL] Plpgsql - Custom fields Postgres 9.5

От
Lucas Possamai
ERROR:  column "date_start" does not exist

Patrick

Patrick*** - trying on SQL fiddle i got that error when executing what  Adrian suggested.

[...]

worked!

Thanks David.

Re: [GENERAL] Plpgsql - Custom fields Postgres 9.5

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 12/14/2016 05:56 PM, Lucas Possamai wrote:
>     ERROR:  column "date_start" does not exist
>

>     Patrick
>

> Patrick*** - trying on SQL fiddle i got that error when executing what
>  Adrian suggested.

Yeah, it was my turn not to be paying attention. It has been that sort
of day and I guess I could not expect the end of day to get better.

So something that might actually work;

CREATE or REPLACE FUNCTION l_extract(date_start date, date_end date))

         RETURNS void AS $$

         begin

           execute '

           COPY

               (

               SELECT

                   uuid,

                   clientid,

                   *

               FROM

                   logging

               WHERE

                   logtime

               BETWEEN

                  $1

               AND

                  $2

               )

           TO ''/var/lib/postgresql/'|| date_start ||'_logs.csv'''
      USING date_start, date_end;

         end

         $$ language 'plpgsql';

select l_extract('20161115'::date, '20161215'::date);

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Plpgsql - Custom fields Postgres 9.5

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
2. To call the function, I have to login to postgres and then run: select logextract(201612015, 201612015);
How can I do it on cron? because the dates will be different every time.

PostgreSQL already knows what date today is.  Why does cron have to tell it?  Just do 'select logextract()' and let Postgresql compute the dates for itself.

Cheers,

Jeff