Обсуждение: [GENERAL] Replication between différent versions of the same OS.

[GENERAL] Replication between différent versions of the same OS.

От
Benoit Lobréau
Дата:
Hi,

Is it possible to use the built in replication to replicate between two PostgreSQL in the same version but in different version of the same OS (Say Pg 9.1 Ubuntu 12 to Pg 9.1 Ubuntu 14)

I think I read in Hackers that since PostgreSQL uses the OS libraries for encoding. It could cause silent corruption because the encoding might be different between versions of the OS. But I cant find the email again so I can't find the exact context ... maybe I dreamed it ..

We would like to replicate to the other server then upgrade to a newer version. (the import is too long)

Thanks
Benoit

Re: [GENERAL] Replication between différent versions of the same OS.

От
Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
Дата:
On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 20:11:06 +0100
Benoit Lobréau <benoit.lobreau@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to use the built in replication to replicate between two
> PostgreSQL in the same version but in different version of the same OS (Say
> Pg 9.1 Ubuntu 12 to Pg 9.1 Ubuntu 14)
>
> I think I read in Hackers that since PostgreSQL uses the OS libraries for
> encoding. It could cause silent corruption because the encoding might be
> different between versions of the OS. But I cant find the email again so I
> can't find the exact context ... maybe I dreamed it ..

No, you did not. See:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/BA6132ED-1F6B-4A0B-AC22-81278F5AB81E%40tripadvisor.com#BA6132ED-1F6B-4A0B-AC22-81278F5AB81E@tripadvisor.com

> We would like to replicate to the other server then upgrade to a newer
> version. (the import is too long)

Use logical replication. You could use Slony for example.

Regards,

Re: [GENERAL] [GENERAL] Replication between différent versions of the same OS.

От
Benoit Lobréau

Thanks a lot. That s what I was looking for ;)

Yes, I was trying to avoid logical replication. I guess it s time for me to delve into it...