Обсуждение: Turning slave into a master - PostgreSQL 9.2

Turning slave into a master - PostgreSQL 9.2

От
Patrick B
Дата:
Hi guys,

I got a test server, let's call it test01.

The test01 has a basebackup from the master.
I want to turn test01 into a master. It doesn't need to catch up with the wal_files, because I don't need it to be up-to-date.

So what I did is:

- Replaced /var/lib/pgsql/9.2/data/ with the basebackup
- Created recovery.conf:
restore_command = 'cp /var/lib/pgsql/wal_archive/%f %p'
recovery_target_timeline = 'latest'
standby_mode = off
trigger_file = '/tmp/pg_failover_trigger'
- touch /tmp/pg_failover_trigger
- service postgresql start

And then postgres starts recovering the wal_files. But I don't want that.. as I don't need a up-to-date

Is the wal_files required anyway?
Patrick

Re: Turning slave into a master - PostgreSQL 9.2

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
I got a test server, let's call it test01.

The test01 has a basebackup from the master.
I want to turn test01 into a master. It doesn't need to catch up with the wal_files, because I don't need it to be up-to-date.

So what I did is:

- Replaced /var/lib/pgsql/9.2/data/ with the basebackup
- Created recovery.conf:
restore_command = 'cp /var/lib/pgsql/wal_archive/%f %p'
recovery_target_timeline = 'latest'
standby_mode = off
trigger_file = '/tmp/pg_failover_trigger'
- touch /tmp/pg_failover_trigger
- service postgresql start

And then postgres starts recovering the wal_files. But I don't want that.. as I don't need a up-to-date

Is the wal_files required anyway?

​"...has a basebackup from the master" - the answer to your question depends greatly on the detail behind that sentence.

IIRC, unless you know that the data directory is consistent - because the database was offline at the time of the backup - at least some WAL will probably be required to bring the inconsistent backup data directory to a known good state (i.e., post-checkpoint).

David J.

[...]

I see...

as I'm recovering a slave and then turning it into a master, that's why the wal_files are required.

Thanks!
Patrick

Re: Turning slave into a master - PostgreSQL 9.2

От
Patrick B
Дата:
I actually want to restore in a point of time.

Don't want to recovery_target_timeline = 'latest'

How can I stipulate a date?

Thanks

[...]

Дата:
If I change recovery.conf:

recovery_target_time = '2016-10-30 02:24:40'

I get error:

FATAL:  requested recovery stop point is before consistent recovery point

Re: Turning slave into a master - PostgreSQL 9.2

От
Francisco Olarte
Hi:

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 3:01 AM, Patrick B <patrickbakerbr@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I change recovery.conf:
> recovery_target_time = '2016-10-30 02:24:40'
> I get error:
> FATAL:  requested recovery stop point is before consistent recovery point

It looks clear. When you take a base backup from a running system some
recovery is needed to make it consistent. With the target time you can
limit how much is done. But there is a minimum. Think of it, if you
stated '1970-01-01' it would be clearly imposible, your date is
bigger, but still imposible, try raising it a bit.

Francisco Olarte.

Re: Turning slave into a master - PostgreSQL 9.2

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 8:01 PM, Patrick B <patrickbakerbr@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I change recovery.conf:
>
> recovery_target_time = '2016-10-30 02:24:40'
>

> I get error:
>
> FATAL:  requested recovery stop point is before consistent recovery point

You can try using pg_basebackup to get the replica setup. In 9.2 you
gotta make your own recovery.conf, but you already know how to do
that. Way easier than trying to rsync by hand etc.

Re: Turning slave into a master - PostgreSQL 9.2

От
Patrick B

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 8:01 PM, Patrick B <patrickbakerbr@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I change recovery.conf:
>
> recovery_target_time = '2016-10-30 02:24:40'
>

> I get error:
>
> FATAL:  requested recovery stop point is before consistent recovery point

You can try using pg_basebackup to get the replica setup. In 9.2 you
gotta make your own recovery.conf, but you already know how to do
that. Way easier than trying to rsync by hand etc.

I did a pg_basebackup!

Re: Turning slave into a master - PostgreSQL 9.2

От
Patrick B

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 8:01 PM, Patrick B <patrickbakerbr@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I change recovery.conf:
>
> recovery_target_time = '2016-10-30 02:24:40'
>

> I get error:
>
> FATAL:  requested recovery stop point is before consistent recovery point

You can try using pg_basebackup to get the replica setup. In 9.2 you
gotta make your own recovery.conf, but you already know how to do
that. Way easier than trying to rsync by hand etc.

I did a pg_basebackup!

Hi guys,

I was able to fix it doing:

recovery.conf:
restore_command = 'cp /var/lib/pgsql/archive/%f %p'
recovery_target_timeline = 'latest'
standby_mode = off
trigger_file = '/tmp/pg_failover_trigger'

Then, I got the error:
FATAL:  archive file "00000002000019D5000000EC" has wrong size: 0 instead of 16777216

To fix it:

rm 00000002000019D5000000EC

Restart postgres and then:
 LOG:  archive recovery complete
LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections

Re: Turning slave into a master - PostgreSQL 9.2

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 1:43 PM, Patrick B <patrickbakerbr@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 8:01 PM, Patrick B <patrickbakerbr@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > If I change recovery.conf:
>> >
>> > recovery_target_time = '2016-10-30 02:24:40'
>> >

>> > I get error:
>> >
>> > FATAL:  requested recovery stop point is before consistent recovery
>> > point
>>
>> You can try using pg_basebackup to get the replica setup. In 9.2 you
>> gotta make your own recovery.conf, but you already know how to do
>> that. Way easier than trying to rsync by hand etc.
>

> I did a pg_basebackup!

Huh, after a pg_basebackup all you should need is a recovery.conf in
place and a trigger file.