Обсуждение: pgsql: Properly indent postgresql.conf comments to align

pgsql: Properly indent postgresql.conf comments to align

Дата:
Properly indent postgresql.conf comments to align

A few comments were misaligned.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/586a46c22cea1526995195283fee0521fc6674b8

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/utils/misc/postgresql.conf.sample | 8 ++++----

Re: pgsql: Properly indent postgresql.conf comments to align

Дата:
> Properly indent postgresql.conf comments to align

I think "properly" here is very dependent on what you believe the
tab width is.  While most of us have our editors set up for 4-space
tabs in C files, I don't think all contributors do so for text files
(I don't, for one).  And the odds that the average user will be set up
to edit postgresql.conf with 4-space tabs are nil.

I suggest that the best way out of this might be to detab
postgresql.conf.sample entirely, and ditto for our other sample
config files.  We could probably set up .gitattributes to make
git complain if anyone re-introduces tabs into those files.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql: Properly indent postgresql.conf comments to align

Дата:
On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 10:23:56PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Properly indent postgresql.conf comments to align
>
> I think "properly" here is very dependent on what you believe the
> tab width is.  While most of us have our editors set up for 4-space
> tabs in C files, I don't think all contributors do so for text files
> (I don't, for one).  And the odds that the average user will be set up
> to edit postgresql.conf with 4-space tabs are nil.
>
> I suggest that the best way out of this might be to detab
> postgresql.conf.sample entirely, and ditto for our other sample
> config files.  We could probably set up .gitattributes to make
> git complain if anyone re-introduces tabs into those files.

Uh, the postgresql.conf file is full of tabs, and they all assume
8-space tabs.  I was just making those few lines consistent.

Not sure we want to remove all tabs though.

Re: pgsql: Properly indent postgresql.conf comments to align

Дата:
On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 08:37:59AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I suggest that the best way out of this might be to detab
> > postgresql.conf.sample entirely, and ditto for our other sample
> > config files.  We could probably set up .gitattributes to make
> > git complain if anyone re-introduces tabs into those files.
>
> Uh, the postgresql.conf file is full of tabs, and they all assume
> 8-space tabs.  I was just making those few lines consistent.
>
> Not sure we want to remove all tabs though.

One advantage of using tabs in postgresql.conf is that you can
add/remove comment markers on a key/value line, or add a few characters,
without causing the end-of-line comment to shift.