Обсуждение: How pg_dump works

How pg_dump works

От
Moreno Andreo
Дата:
Hi all,
     I need to pg_dump a database to another server.
The particularity is that the database is bigger than remaining space on
disk. Obviously, this is not a problem because i'm dumping to another
host, but I need to know if the procedure streams data to remote host or
the data itself is packed up in temporary file(s) that are sent to
remote host.
The former would be such a problem, because there are good chances I'll
have my disk filled up...

I've not found details on this in documentation.

Thanks
Moreno.

Re: How pg_dump works

От
Achilleas Mantzios
Дата:
On 10/10/2016 14:50, Moreno Andreo wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I need to pg_dump a database to another server.
> The particularity is that the database is bigger than remaining space on disk. Obviously, this is not a problem
becausei'm dumping to another host, but I need to know if the procedure streams data
> to remote host or the data itself is packed up in temporary file(s) that are sent to remote host.
> The former would be such a problem, because there are good chances I'll have my disk filled up...
>
> I've not found details on this in documentation.

In fact, in the docs there is all the info you might ever need. PostgreSQL project excels on that compared to *many*
free-softwareprojects. Now what you could do is something like :
createdb -h your_big_server your_database
pg_dump -h your_small_server your_database | psql -h your_big_server -f - your_database

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead

Re: How pg_dump works

От
hamann.w@t-online.de
Дата:
>> Hi all,
>>      I need to pg_dump a database to another server.
>> The particularity is that the database is bigger than remaining space on
>> disk. Obviously, this is not a problem because i'm dumping to another
>> host, but I need to know if the procedure streams data to remote host or
>> the data itself is packed up in temporary file(s) that are sent to
>> remote host.
>> The former would be such a problem, because there are good chances I'll
>> have my disk filled up...
>>
>> I've not found details on this in documentation.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Moreno.

Hi Moreno,

it is one big stream.
I am sending compressed pg_dump and can actually use
zcat dumpfile.gz | psql mydatabase
on the other end

Regards
Wolfgang

Re: How pg_dump works

От
Moreno Andreo
Дата:
Il 10/10/2016 14:16, Achilleas Mantzios ha scritto:
> On 10/10/2016 14:50, Moreno Andreo wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>     I need to pg_dump a database to another server.
>> The particularity is that the database is bigger than remaining space
>> on disk. Obviously, this is not a problem because i'm dumping to
>> another host, but I need to know if the procedure streams data to
>> remote host or the data itself is packed up in temporary file(s) that
>> are sent to remote host.
>> The former would be such a problem, because there are good chances
>> I'll have my disk filled up...
>>
>> I've not found details on this in documentation.
>>

> In fact, in the docs there is all the info you might ever need.
> PostgreSQL project excels on that compared to *many* free-software
> projects. Now what you could do is something like :
> createdb -h your_big_server your_database
> pg_dump -h your_small_server your_database | psql -h your_big_server
> -f - your_database

Thanks, I was aware of this usage. I just wanted to be sure no
additional disk space has to be used in "small_server".

>> Thanks
>> Moreno.

Re: How pg_dump works

От
Moreno Andreo
Дата:
Il 10/10/2016 14:16, hamann.w@t-online.de ha scritto:
>>> Hi all,
>>>       I need to pg_dump a database to another server.
>>> The particularity is that the database is bigger than remaining space on
>>> disk. Obviously, this is not a problem because i'm dumping to another
>>> host, but I need to know if the procedure streams data to remote host or
>>> the data itself is packed up in temporary file(s) that are sent to
>>> remote host.
>>> The former would be such a problem, because there are good chances I'll
>>> have my disk filled up...
>>>
>>> I've not found details on this in documentation.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Moreno.
>>>
> Hi Moreno,
>
> it is one big stream.