Re: How pg_dump works

От Achilleas Mantzios
Тема Re: How pg_dump works
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/10/2016 14:50, Moreno Andreo wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I need to pg_dump a database to another server.
> The particularity is that the database is bigger than remaining space on disk. Obviously, this is not a problem
becausei'm dumping to another host, but I need to know if the procedure streams data
> to remote host or the data itself is packed up in temporary file(s) that are sent to remote host.
> The former would be such a problem, because there are good chances I'll have my disk filled up...
>
> I've not found details on this in documentation.

In fact, in the docs there is all the info you might ever need. PostgreSQL project excels on that compared to *many*
free-softwareprojects. Now what you could do is something like :
createdb -h your_big_server your_database
pg_dump -h your_small_server your_database | psql -h your_big_server -f - your_database

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead