Обсуждение: searching for git commit hash

searching for git commit hash

Дата:
How do I search for a commit with a specific hash tag on our git web
site?
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=summary

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: searching for git commit hash

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 2:31 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> How do I search for a commit with a specific hash tag on our git web
> site?
>
>        http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=summary

I don't believe gitweb supports searching. You'll need to pick another
hash and then copy/paste on the URL.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: searching for git commit hash

Дата:
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 07:06:54AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 2:31 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > How do I search for a commit with a specific hash tag on our git web
> > site?
> >
> >        http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=summary
>
> I don't believe gitweb supports searching. You'll need to pick another
> hash and then copy/paste on the URL.

That's what I thought, but it seemed there must be a way.  Obviously
not.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: searching for git commit hash

От
Marti Raudsepp
Дата:
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 2:31 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> How do I search for a commit with a specific hash tag on our git web
>> site?

> I don't believe gitweb supports searching. You'll need to pick another
> hash and then copy/paste on the URL.

Well there is a "search" box in the upper right corner, but I think it
can only search for text, not commit hashes.

Regards,
Marti

Re: searching for git commit hash

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 1:31 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> How do I search for a commit with a specific hash tag on our git web
> site?

I just paste the hash into google and hit I'm Feeling Lucky.

Actually in reality I paste it into the omnibox in chrome so I then I
have to click the first search result.

--
greg

Re: searching for git commit hash

Дата:
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 01:54:17PM +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 1:31 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > How do I search for a commit with a specific hash tag on our git web
> > site?
>
> I just paste the hash into google and hit I'm Feeling Lucky.
>
> Actually in reality I paste it into the omnibox in chrome so I then I
> have to click the first search result.

Wow, having Google search for it works;  those hashes really are unique.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: searching for git commit hash

Дата:
Marti Raudsepp <marti@juffo.org> writes:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> I don't believe gitweb supports searching. You'll need to pick another
>> hash and then copy/paste on the URL.

> Well there is a "search" box in the upper right corner, but I think it
> can only search for text, not commit hashes.

I have a private page containing a text box I can type the hash into.
This is very fast and it works with hash prefixes too, which I bet
google would not.
    <form action="http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb"     method="get" id="goto-commit-id">     <input type="hidden"
name="p"value="postgresql.git" />     <input type="hidden" name="a" value="commitdiff" />     Git Commit Hash <input
type="text"name="h" size="60" />    </form>

Dunno if enough people would use this to justify putting it on a public
page.
        regards, tom lane

Re: searching for git commit hash

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Marti Raudsepp <marti@juffo.org> writes:
>> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>> I don't believe gitweb supports searching. You'll need to pick another
>>> hash and then copy/paste on the URL.
>
>> Well there is a "search" box in the upper right corner, but I think it
>> can only search for text, not commit hashes.
>
> I have a private page containing a text box I can type the hash into.
> This is very fast and it works with hash prefixes too, which I bet
> google would not.
>
>     <form action="http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb"
>      method="get" id="goto-commit-id">
>      <input type="hidden" name="p" value="postgresql.git" />
>      <input type="hidden" name="a" value="commitdiff" />
>      Git Commit Hash <input type="text" name="h" size="60" />
>     </form>
>
> Dunno if enough people would use this to justify putting it on a public
> page.

Should be easy enough to add if people want it - somewhere under
www.postgresql.org/developer/ i'd assume...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: searching for git commit hash

Дата:
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 04:34:27PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Marti Raudsepp <marti@juffo.org> writes:
> >
> >> Well there is a "search" box in the upper right corner, but I think it
> >> can only search for text, not commit hashes.
> >
> > I have a private page containing a text box I can type the hash into.
> > This is very fast and it works with hash prefixes too, which I bet
> > google would not.
> >
> >     <form action="http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb"
> >      method="get" id="goto-commit-id">
> >      <input type="hidden" name="p" value="postgresql.git" />
> >      <input type="hidden" name="a" value="commitdiff" />
> >      Git Commit Hash <input type="text" name="h" size="60" />
> >     </form>
> >
> > Dunno if enough people would use this to justify putting it on a public
> > page.
>
> Should be easy enough to add if people want it - somewhere under
> www.postgresql.org/developer/ i'd assume...

Yes, I think it would be very useful to have on our website.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: searching for git commit hash

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On 2 September 2012 13:54, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 04:34:27PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> > I have a private page containing a text box I can type the hash into.
>> > This is very fast and it works with hash prefixes too, which I bet
>> > google would not.
>> >
>> >     <form action="http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb"
>> >      method="get" id="goto-commit-id">
>> >      <input type="hidden" name="p" value="postgresql.git" />
>> >      <input type="hidden" name="a" value="commitdiff" />
>> >      Git Commit Hash <input type="text" name="h" size="60" />
>> >     </form>
>> >
>> > Dunno if enough people would use this to justify putting it on a public
>> > page.
>>
>> Should be easy enough to add if people want it - somewhere under
>> www.postgresql.org/developer/ i'd assume...
>
> Yes, I think it would be very useful to have on our website.

+1

I'd like to have a Google chrome extension that exposes it through a
right-click context menu. Do you know enough javascript to throw one
together, Magnus? :-)

--
Peter Geoghegan       http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: searching for git commit hash

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:

Added to http://www.postgresql.org/developer/coding/.

Re: searching for git commit hash

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Peter Geoghegan <peter@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 2 September 2012 13:54, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

>>> Should be easy enough to add if people want it - somewhere under
>>> www.postgresql.org/developer/ i'd assume...
>>
>> Yes, I think it would be very useful to have on our website.
>
> +1
>
> I'd like to have a Google chrome extension that exposes it through a
> right-click context menu. Do you know enough javascript to throw one
> together, Magnus? :-)

Funny guy... I can test it once you've written it though.

Re: searching for git commit hash

От
Dimitri Fontaine
Дата:
> Added to http://www.postgresql.org/developer/coding/.

What I would like to have is the result of whatever tool is used those
days to know which branches contain any given patch. I though that was
./src/tools/git_changelog but I can't seem to have that work here.

Dimitri Fontaine

Re: searching for git commit hash

Дата:
Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr> writes:
> What I would like to have is the result of whatever tool is used those
> days to know which branches contain any given patch. I though that was
> ./src/tools/git_changelog but I can't seem to have that work here.

That's what I use.  What about it doesn't work for you?
        regards, tom lane

Re: searching for git commit hash

От
Dimitri Fontaine
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> That's what I use.  What about it doesn't work for you?

I don't remember how to summon it properly so it keeps barking at me.
Mmmm, I did try to have the information reported for a single commit,
though.

./src/tools/git_changelog --since '2012-09-14 00:00:00' --oldest-first --details-after
fatal: ambiguous argument 'master..origin/REL9_2_STABLE': unknown revision or path not in the working tree.
Use '--' to separate paths from revisions
git log --format=fuller --date=iso --since=2012-09-14 00:00:00 --parents
master..origin/REL9_2_STABLE failed at ./src/tools/git_changelog line
141.

Well, I would like having the information on the web. Ideally at the
same place where we can browse the commit logs (gitweb), if not from
somewhere else where it's easy to grasp.

Dimitri Fontaine

Re: searching for git commit hash

Дата:
Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> That's what I use.  What about it doesn't work for you?

> I don't remember how to summon it properly so it keeps barking at me.

FWIW, I run it once a week or so without any parameters and keep the
results in a text file for quick reference.  I won't be answerable
for whether any of those options Bruce added work ;-)

> ./src/tools/git_changelog --since '2012-09-14 00:00:00' --oldest-first --details-after
> fatal: ambiguous argument 'master..origin/REL9_2_STABLE': unknown revision or path not in the working tree.
> Use '--' to separate paths from revisions
> git log --format=fuller --date=iso --since=2012-09-14 00:00:00 --parents
> master..origin/REL9_2_STABLE failed at ./src/tools/git_changelog line
> 141.

That is a bit odd though, since it seems to be failing in mainline code
that's not dependent on any options at all.  What version of git do you
have?
        regards, tom lane

Re: searching for git commit hash

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 11:34 PM, Dimitri Fontaine
<dimitri@2ndquadrant.fr> wrote:
>> Added to http://www.postgresql.org/developer/coding/.
>
> What I would like to have is the result of whatever tool is used those
> days to know which branches contain any given patch. I though that was
> ./src/tools/git_changelog but I can't seem to have that work here.

Are you talking about a simple "git branch -a --contains=<hash>"?

That only works if the hash is the same of course - not if the patch
was different in a back branch.

Re: searching for git commit hash

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of mar sep 25 19:10:09 -0300 2012:
> Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr> writes:

> > ./src/tools/git_changelog --since '2012-09-14 00:00:00' --oldest-first --details-after
> > fatal: ambiguous argument 'master..origin/REL9_2_STABLE': unknown revision or path not in the working tree.
> > Use '--' to separate paths from revisions
> > git log --format=fuller --date=iso --since=2012-09-14 00:00:00 --parents
> > master..origin/REL9_2_STABLE failed at ./src/tools/git_changelog line
> > 141.
>
> That is a bit odd though, since it seems to be failing in mainline code
> that's not dependent on any options at all.  What version of git do you
> have?

I remember having it fail in a similar way (don't really recall exactly)
when I tried to run it in a clone that didn't have all branches (I had
deleted them per the instructions in the wiki).  Once I restored them,
it started working.

Re: searching for git commit hash

От
Dimitri Fontaine
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> That is a bit odd though, since it seems to be failing in mainline code
> that's not dependent on any options at all.  What version of git do you
> have?

git version 1.7.3.1

That said, I'm realizing that on this development machine:

dim ~/dev/PostgreSQL/postgres git branch command_triggers event_triggers evt_trig_v1 evt_v1_diff
* master origin-utility_node_to_string

And of course my origin here is my own github fork, the real thing here
is called the postgres remote…

And now trying to get several branches exist in different subdirs… not
there yet exactly with git, which is why an online tool would be great…

--
Dimitri Fontaine