Обсуждение: HTML 4.01 docs + xhtml header on postgresql.org

HTML 4.01 docs + xhtml header on postgresql.org

От
Josh Kupershmidt
Дата:
Hi all,

So I was poking around a bit, trying to see how hard it would be to
clean up the HTML that the docs get turned into. If you look at any
doc page on postgresql.org, such as
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/tutorial-advanced-intro.html>,
and run it through a validator like validator.w3.org, you'll see a
whole ton of XHTML validation errors. However, if you compare the raw
html generated by "make html", it validates as HTML 4.01 (well, for
the most part).

It looks like postgresql.org rewrites the first chunk of each doc.
page with its own XHTML, so that it can include its banner, search
box, etc. However, this is seriously messing up the validation of the
doc. pages on postgresql.org, as it's a mix of XHTML and HTML 4.01.

Now, what I'd *really* like is to get the doc pages building in clean
XHTML+CSS, though I'm a bit wary of how much work that's going to
involve. Anyone else interested in this idea?

And in the meantime, is there anything that can be reasonably done
about the postgresql.org pages? I sort of doubt folks want to move
back entirely to HTML 4.01, but just thought I'd ask.

Josh

Re: HTML 4.01 docs + xhtml header on postgresql.org

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 20:54 -0400, Josh Kupershmidt wrote:

> Now, what I'd *really* like is to get the doc pages building in clean
> XHTML+CSS, though I'm a bit wary of how much work that's going to
> involve. Anyone else interested in this idea?

I am interested. I think it would be a worthwhile project. I however
don't have any resources to do so.

JD
--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: HTML 4.01 docs + xhtml header on postgresql.org

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 18:15, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 20:54 -0400, Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
>
>> Now, what I'd *really* like is to get the doc pages building in clean
>> XHTML+CSS, though I'm a bit wary of how much work that's going to
>> involve. Anyone else interested in this idea?
>
> I am interested. I think it would be a worthwhile project. I however
> don't have any resources to do so.

Note that the code for the new website generates a more correct HTML
code by passing it through tidy. I'm not sure it produces completely
accurate HTML of course ;) But if you're oging to work on it, that's
the proper point to start.

(code can be found as the pgweb project on git.postgresql.org)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: HTML 4.01 docs + xhtml header on postgresql.org

От
Josh Kupershmidt
Дата:
On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 18:15, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 20:54 -0400, Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Now, what I'd *really* like is to get the doc pages building in clean
>>> XHTML+CSS, though I'm a bit wary of how much work that's going to
>>> involve. Anyone else interested in this idea?
>>
>> I am interested. I think it would be a worthwhile project. I however
>> don't have any resources to do so.
>
> Note that the code for the new website generates a more correct HTML
> code by passing it through tidy. I'm not sure it produces completely
> accurate HTML of course ;) But if you're oging to work on it, that's
> the proper point to start.
>
> (code can be found as the pgweb project on git.postgresql.org)

Thanks for the pointer. [.. looking ..] nice, didn't realize you guys
were using Django, that's my favorite web framework.

At the moment I'm poking through the SGML documentation pages. There
are some common  and easy-to-fix errors (mostly nesting of <para>
nodes which produces bogus HTML, e.g. acronyms.sgml). I should be able
to post a patch this weekend to fix a whole bunch of these.

Then there is some broken HTML produced by <xref> nodes which look
alright in the sgml source (e.g. history.sgml), and I'm betting comes
from problems in stylesheet.dsl. I don't have a fix for these at the
moment, since I'm unfamiliar with DSSSL.

Josh