Обсуждение: problem with layout on archives.postgresql.org

problem with layout on archives.postgresql.org

От
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Дата:
hi,
i went to
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2009-09/msg00161.php
as you can see it contains relatively long, unwrapped lines.
the problem is that while my monitor has big enough resolution to
display the line in whole, without any scrolling, original layout
enforces huge amount of white space on the left side of page -
effectively forcing scrolling to see page that would easily fit on my
screen.

here is screenshot:
http://depesz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/archives.postgresql.org.shot.png

do you think you could do something about it?

Best regards,

depesz

--
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/depesz  /  blog: http://www.depesz.com/
jid/gtalk: depesz@depesz.com / aim:depeszhdl / skype:depesz_hdl / gg:6749007

Re: problem with layout on archives.postgresql.org

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
2009/11/15 hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com>

> hi,
> i went to
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2009-09/msg00161.php
> as you can see it contains relatively long, unwrapped lines.
> the problem is that while my monitor has big enough resolution to
> display the line in whole, without any scrolling, original layout
> enforces huge amount of white space on the left side of page -
> effectively forcing scrolling to see page that would easily fit on my
> screen.
>
> here is screenshot:
> http://depesz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/archives.postgresql.org.shot.png
>
> do you think you could do something about it?
>
> Best regards,
>
> depesz

Which browser are you using?  I get the same problem when using
Firefox 3.5.5 on Firefox, but it's fine with Google Chrome 4.0.245.1
on Linux: http://darkixion.com/archives.postgresql.org.chrome.png

But yes, it is a problem because it's contained within <pre> tags
which should prevent line-wrapping.  Maybe the following CSS would fix
it:

pre
{
white-space: -moz-pre-wrap; /* Mozilla, supported since 1999 */
white-space: -pre-wrap; /* Opera 4 - 6 */
white-space: -o-pre-wrap; /* Opera 7 */
white-space: pre-wrap; /* CSS3 - Text module (Candidate
Recommendation)http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#white-space */
word-wrap: break-word; /* IE 5.5+ */
}

Thom

Re: problem with layout on archives.postgresql.org

От
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Дата:
On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 01:16:23PM +0000, Thom Brown wrote:
> Which browser are you using?  I get the same problem when using
> Firefox 3.5.5 on Firefox, but it's fine with Google Chrome 4.0.245.1
> on Linux: http://darkixion.com/archives.postgresql.org.chrome.png
> But yes, it is a problem because it's contained within <pre> tags
> which should prevent line-wrapping.  Maybe the following CSS would fix
> it:

sorry,m forgot to mention: firefox 3.5.5 on linux.

Best regards,

depesz

--
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/depesz  /  blog: http://www.depesz.com/
jid/gtalk: depesz@depesz.com / aim:depeszhdl / skype:depesz_hdl / gg:6749007

Re: problem with layout on archives.postgresql.org

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> hi,
> i went to
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2009-09/msg00161.php
> as you can see it contains relatively long, unwrapped lines.
> the problem is that while my monitor has big enough resolution to
> display the line in whole, without any scrolling, original layout
> enforces huge amount of white space on the left side of page -
> effectively forcing scrolling to see page that would easily fit on my
> screen.
>
> here is screenshot:
> http://depesz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/archives.postgresql.org.shot.png
>
> do you think you could do something about it?

Yeah.  Please see this thread with a proposed fix that didn't work for
me (I'm no CSS expert):

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/2b5e566d0909140802u30688c4flc20bbbc9a1600576%40mail.gmail.com

If you can get it to work, please send a patch ...

Re: problem with layout on archives.postgresql.org

От
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:32:42AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Yeah.  Please see this thread with a proposed fix that didn't work for
> me (I'm no CSS expert):

i'm not sure if i like the approach.

fixing the problem by forcing breaks, while initially the problem arises
because layout is fixed width, and forcibly centered, doesn't look nice
for me.
i'll ask fellow css gurus how to solve it, and if we'll find some way,
i'll gladly send patch.

Best regards,

depesz

--
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/depesz  /  blog: http://www.depesz.com/
jid/gtalk: depesz@depesz.com / aim:depeszhdl / skype:depesz_hdl / gg:6749007

Re: problem with layout on archives.postgresql.org

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:32:42AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Yeah.  Please see this thread with a proposed fix that didn't work for
> > me (I'm no CSS expert):
>
> i'm not sure if i like the approach.
>
> fixing the problem by forcing breaks, while initially the problem arises
> because layout is fixed width, and forcibly centered, doesn't look nice
> for me.
> i'll ask fellow css gurus how to solve it, and if we'll find some way,
> i'll gladly send patch.

I understand the point and I think that fixed-width-centered webpages
are a stupid idea to start with, but I'm not going to mess around with a
core idea of our web design.

Re: problem with layout on archives.postgresql.org

От
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 04:23:27PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:32:42AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > > Yeah.  Please see this thread with a proposed fix that didn't work for
> > > me (I'm no CSS expert):
> >
> > i'm not sure if i like the approach.
> >
> > fixing the problem by forcing breaks, while initially the problem arises
> > because layout is fixed width, and forcibly centered, doesn't look nice
> > for me.
> > i'll ask fellow css gurus how to solve it, and if we'll find some way,
> > i'll gladly send patch.
>
> I understand the point and I think that fixed-width-centered webpages
> are a stupid idea to start with, but I'm not going to mess around with a
> core idea of our web design.

fair enough. anyway - my css guys said that what i want it not possible,
so i think i'll stick with custom stylish (plugin) rules for my firefox.

Best regards,

depesz

--
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/depesz  /  blog: http://www.depesz.com/
jid/gtalk: depesz@depesz.com / aim:depeszhdl / skype:depesz_hdl / gg:6749007

Re: problem with layout on archives.postgresql.org

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:32:42AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> > Yeah.  Please see this thread with a proposed fix that didn't work for
>> > me (I'm no CSS expert):
>>
>> i'm not sure if i like the approach.
>>
>> fixing the problem by forcing breaks, while initially the problem arises
>> because layout is fixed width, and forcibly centered, doesn't look nice
>> for me.
>> i'll ask fellow css gurus how to solve it, and if we'll find some way,
>> i'll gladly send patch.
>
> I understand the point and I think that fixed-width-centered webpages
> are a stupid idea to start with,

+1.

> but I'm not going to mess around with a
> core idea of our web design.