Обсуждение: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:

> Just tried out the new "Submit Product" form and got a
> SQL error:
>
> ===
> Error communicating with database: ERROR: insert or update on
> table "products" violates foreign key constraint
> "products_contact_fkey" DETAIL: Key (contact)=(Greg) is not
> present in table "users".
> ===

Rats. That happens because *%*£$% MediaWiki insists on re-casing names
so we had to make the logon code case-insensitive. You need to logon
using the same casing as we have stored in the database to satisfy the
foreign key. Meanwhile, I'll be fixing up the code to try to handle
that....

Oh, and it's 'catalogue' because that's how catalogue is spelt. In
English. In England. If you broke the spelling on your side of the
pond then that's your look out :-p

--
Dave Page

Re: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> Rats. That happens because *%*£$% MediaWiki insists on re-casing names
> so we had to make the logon code case-insensitive. You need to logon
> using the same casing as we have stored in the database to satisfy the
> foreign key. Meanwhile, I'll be fixing up the code to try to handle
> that....

For the benefit of those interested in this sort of thing, I've fixed
this by having community_logon() return the userid as found in the
database rather than as the user entered, so subsequent code finds it
with the correct casing. The userid parameter was already declared
INOUT so 'twas a simple change.

--
Dave Page

Re: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:

> I await your patch to have PG start using "pg_catalogue" ;)

I'm actually very tempted to do so, if only to see how people reacted :-p

--
Dave Page

Re: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

От
Magnus Hagander
Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:
>> I await your patch to have PG start using "pg_catalogue" ;)
>
> I'm actually very tempted to do so, if only to see how people reacted :-p

I wonder if I'll loose my  commit permissions if I commit that patch for
you real quick.. ;-)

//Magnus

Re: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 20:37 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:
> >> I await your patch to have PG start using "pg_catalogue" ;)
> >
> > I'm actually very tempted to do so, if only to see how people reacted :-p
>
> I wonder if I'll loose my  commit permissions if I commit that patch for
> you real quick.. ;-)

I think we should do it in swahili.

Joshua D. Drake

> //Magnus

Re: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:37 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:
>>> I await your patch to have PG start using "pg_catalogue" ;)
>>
>> I'm actually very tempted to do so, if only to see how people reacted :-p
>
> I wonder if I'll loose my  commit permissions if I commit that patch for
> you real quick.. ;-)

Well as it would probably be down to me to remove it....

--
Dave Page

Re: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> I think we should do it in swahili.

Which would make it pg_?????

--
Dave Page

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 19:41 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think we should do it in swahili.
>
> Which would make it pg_?????

I couldn't find the swahili so I divert to Russian!

каталогизировать

Joshua D. Drake

Re: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:50 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 19:41 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I think we should do it in swahili.
>>
>> Which would make it pg_?????
>>

> I couldn't find the swahili so I divert to Russian!
>
> каталогизировать

Hmm - is pg_каталогизировать valid? Or does the prefix change the
meaning in some way?

We have to get these things right y'know...

--
Dave Page

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 19:52 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:50 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> > I couldn't find the swahili so I divert to Russian!
> >
> > каталогизировать
>
> Hmm - is pg_каталогизировать valid? Or does the prefix change the
> meaning in some way?
>
> We have to get these things right y'know...

пг_каталогизировать

Should do it :) Of course their might be the problem with tab complete.

JHoshua D. Drake

Re: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 11/06/2008 19:55, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 19:52 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:50 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>>> I couldn't find the swahili so I divert to Russian!
>>>
>>> каталогизировать

How about Irish? -
  pg_clár

Nice and short! :-)

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 20:27 +0100, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 11/06/2008 19:55, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> How about Irish? -
>
>    pg_clár
>
> Nice and short! :-)

Nahhh, then we would have to change the name to postgres.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 20:27 +0100, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:

> > How about Irish? -
> >
> >    pg_clár
> >
> > Nice and short! :-)
>
> Nahhh, then we would have to change the name to postgres.

Are you advocating it should be named pgsql_catalogue?

Re: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:

> How about Irish? -
>
>  pg_clár
>
> Nice and short! :-)

Well it's certainly more pronounceable for most of us than
пг_каталогизировать I'd wager.

--
Dave Page

Re: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 11/06/2008 20:32, Dave Page wrote:

>> How about Irish? -
>>
>>  pg_clár
>>
>> Nice and short! :-)
>
> Well it's certainly more pronounceable for most of us than
> пг_каталогизировать I'd wager.

My wife is beside me on the couch here at home, and has been following
this thread second-hand - she reckons we all have too much time on our
hands..... :-P

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
2008/6/11 Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie>:
> My wife is beside me on the couch here at home, and has been following
> this thread second-hand - she reckons we all have too much time on our
> hands..... :-P

</me waves>

She's most probably right...

--
Dave Page

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 20:49 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> 2008/6/11 Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie>:
> > My wife is beside me on the couch here at home, and has been following
> > this thread second-hand - she reckons we all have too much time on our
> > hands..... :-P
>
> </me waves>
>
> She's most probably right...

I wonder if that means that Raymond is volunteering for some tasks.
Dave, didn't you have a list of, "it would be nice to get these done
someday" items?

Joshua D> Drake

Re: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 8:53 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 20:49 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>> 2008/6/11 Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie>:
>> > My wife is beside me on the couch here at home, and has been following
>> > this thread second-hand - she reckons we all have too much time on our
>> > hands..... :-P
>>
>> </me waves>
>>
>> She's most probably right...
>>

> I wonder if that means that Raymond is volunteering for some tasks.
> Dave, didn't you have a list of, "it would be nice to get these done
> someday" items?

Hey, that's a good point - what's your preference Raymond; PHP,
sysadmin work or C++?

:-p

--
Dave Page

Re: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 11/06/2008 20:56, Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 8:53 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:>
>> I wonder if that means that Raymond is volunteering for some tasks.
>> Dave, didn't you have a list of, "it would be nice to get these done
>> someday" items?
>
> Hey, that's a good point - what's your preference Raymond; PHP,
> sysadmin work or C++?

She'd be the first to tell me that I spend too much time coding... I am,
after all, a part-time IT person.... :-)

Seriously, though, I can do some PHP - but ask me again in a few months'
time - am up to my gills with work just now.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

От
Alexey Klyukin
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 19:52 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:50 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> > > I couldn't find the swahili so I divert to Russian!
> > >
> > > каталогизировать
> >
> > Hmm - is pg_каталогизировать valid? Or does the prefix change the
> > meaning in some way?
> >
> > We have to get these things right y'know...
>
> пг_каталогизировать
>
> Should do it :) Of course their might be the problem with tab complete.

Hey, it's not пг_каталогизировать but пг_каталог. Even shorter :)

--
Alexey Klyukin                         http://www.commandprompt.com/