Обсуждение: svr1 mail timeouts ...

svr1 mail timeouts ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: svr1 mail timeouts ...

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 04:25:14PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> 'k, after getting some real information from Stephan, took a look at the
> machine ... Postfix sets a default max # of concurrent incoming smtpd
> connections to 100, right now, its sitting at 91 ...
>
> I suspect that what is/was happening was that it was hitting 100 and stalling
> on the other connections, including the nagios  check ...
>
> I've just raised it to 256, and we'll see if that doesn't eliminate the
> timeouts ...

Interesting (and it hasn't bitched in a while, so it looks like the right
direction).

Any idea what's using up all those connections? 91 *incoming* connections
is very much, especially since the box doesn't exactly *receive* a lot of
mails (it sends a whole lot, but that's a different limit).

(For example, I have a fairly high-traffic mail server that certainly
receives at least an order of magnitude more email than svr1 does, and
it's running at 5-6 receiving processes normally)

Perhaps it's something a config change can rid us of?

//Magnus

Re: svr1 mail timeouts ...

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 04:25:14PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> 'k, after getting some real information from Stephan, took a look at the
>> machine ... Postfix sets a default max # of concurrent incoming smtpd
>> connections to 100, right now, its sitting at 91 ...
>>
>> I suspect that what is/was happening was that it was hitting 100 and stalling
>> on the other connections, including the nagios  check ...
>>
>> I've just raised it to 256, and we'll see if that doesn't eliminate the
>> timeouts ...
>
> Interesting (and it hasn't bitched in a while, so it looks like the right
> direction).

yeah I installed a fair bit of monitoring on that very subject over the
weekend and it shows that we are hovering around 120 connections(less on
the weekend) on average now.

> Any idea what's using up all those connections? 91 *incoming* connections
> is very much, especially since the box doesn't exactly *receive* a lot of
> mails (it sends a whole lot, but that's a different limit).

I have not looked into the configuration at all - but are we doing
something like greylisting/connection tarpitting there ?

Stefan

Re: svr1 mail timeouts ...

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 12:15:37PM +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> >Any idea what's using up all those connections? 91 *incoming* connections
> >is very much, especially since the box doesn't exactly *receive* a lot of
> >mails (it sends a whole lot, but that's a different limit).
>
> I have not looked into the configuration at all - but are we doing
> something like greylisting/connection tarpitting there ?

Graylisting it does, but that doesn't tie up connection slots. Tarpitting
would, but I don't think we use that. Marc can confirm that though.

//Magnus

Re: svr1 mail timeouts ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: svr1 mail timeouts ...

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>> Any idea what's using up all those connections? 91 *incoming* connections
>> is very much, especially since the box doesn't exactly *receive* a lot of
>> mails (it sends a whole lot, but that's a different limit).
>
> Of course it receives alot ... as an example ...
>
> pgsql-announce has 31388 subscribers to it ... when David sends out the weekly
> news, how many of those 31388 are "over quota", or "out of office", or "user
> unknown", or "connection timed out", or ... :)
>
> All those bounces come back to the main server, and, in alot of cases, get
> processed by majordomo's "bounce detection" algorithms ...
>
> And then there are the 177 314 "Recipient address rejected" email attempts
> *into* the server so far today, for ppl like "EarlineloamyDarby@postgresql.org"
> that come flooding in ...
>
> It all adds up ...

D'oh. I only considered protocol errors, not that kind of bounces. That
explains it.

//Magnus