Обсуждение: Request from training vendor re: home page

Request from training vendor re: home page

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
WWW,

You may or may not have noticed that we're getting a bit of jockeying for
home page spots among our training vendors.  It's obviously not in our
interest to have different vendors manipulating the details of their
events announcements, or even posting duplicates, in order to "control"
what appears on the home page.  One of the vendors involved had this
suggestion:

> Just a thought...I notice that now "training" is split out separately on
> the PostgreSQL.org web site...which is great in the sense that
> non-training events don't get pushed off the front page by training
> events (or event spam...).
>
> I'm wondering if its possible to "somewhat equalize" things by
> preventing a single vendor event from appearing more than once on the
> front page.  The idea being that training vendors (which are generally
> for-profit) would get equal opportunity for that ever-important
> front-page exposure...

Seems like a decent idea; does it make sense to other people?  How would we
enforce it?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Request from training vendor re: home page

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> WWW,
>
> You may or may not have noticed that we're getting a bit of jockeying for
> home page spots among our training vendors.  It's obviously not in our
> interest to have different vendors manipulating the details of their
> events announcements, or even posting duplicates, in order to "control"
> what appears on the home page.  One of the vendors involved had this
> suggestion:
>
>> Just a thought...I notice that now "training" is split out separately on
>> the PostgreSQL.org web site...which is great in the sense that
>> non-training events don't get pushed off the front page by training
>> events (or event spam...).
>>
>> I'm wondering if its possible to "somewhat equalize" things by
>> preventing a single vendor event from appearing more than once on the
>> front page.  The idea being that training vendors (which are generally
>> for-profit) would get equal opportunity for that ever-important
>> front-page exposure...
>
> Seems like a decent idea; does it make sense to other people?  How would we
> enforce it?

Well, they're ordered by date. So if two vendors have a similar number
of offerings, they should show up the same amount of time. As for
duplicates, the person approving the event is *supposed* to look for
that. Now, I realise we're all probably guilty of not always doing that,
but...

Not sure how we'd filter it otherwise, but I'm open for ideas :-)

//Magnus

Re: Request from training vendor re: home page

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 09:24:21PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Well, they're ordered by date. So if two vendors have a similar number
> of offerings, they should show up the same amount of time. As for
> duplicates, the person approving the event is *supposed* to look for
> that. Now, I realise we're all probably guilty of not always doing that,
> but...

Rather than ordering strictly by date, what about ordering by
rand(two week period) or something?

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.    --Philip Greenspun

Re: Request from training vendor re: home page

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Magnus,

> Well, they're ordered by date. So if two vendors have a similar number
> of offerings, they should show up the same amount of time. As for
> duplicates, the person approving the event is *supposed* to look for
> that. Now, I realise we're all probably guilty of not always doing that,
> but...

Well, to be blunt about it some training vendors are scheduling training
events rather optimistically in order to capture front page spots by
having a training 3x per month. This unfairly bumps other providers who
are not so prolific in their submissions.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun