Обсуждение: backup infrastructure

backup infrastructure

От
"Dan Langille"
Дата:
Gidday folks,

One way I can contribute my services to the project is in the form of
backup services. You tell me what files need to be backed up from
what servers, and it'll be done on the frequency required.

Restores can be arranged for those that have admin access.  We can
keep a designated number of backups online, for immediate access.
Older backups will be stored offline.

Bacula is my tool of choice.  Let me know how I can help.

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php

Re: backup infrastructure

От
"Dan Langille"
Дата:
On 6 Sep 2006 at 15:30, Dan Langille wrote:

> Gidday folks,
>
> One way I can contribute my services to the project is in the form of
> backup services. You tell me what files need to be backed up from what
> servers, and it'll be done on the frequency required.
>
> Restores can be arranged for those that have admin access.  We can
> keep a designated number of backups online, for immediate access.
> Older backups will be stored offline.
>
> Bacula is my tool of choice.  Let me know how I can help.

Is the lack of response a verification that no help is required or
did I pick a bad time?

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php

Re: backup infrastructure

От
"Gavin M. Roy"
Дата:
Probably timing, and people probably want to digest the idea a bit.
I'd not be detoured.  I think it's an excellent idea.  It raises
issues of availability of restoration and access to things that you
may not otherwise have access to though... (No idea if that's
actually the case, just pointing out a possibility).

Gavin

On Sep 13, 2006, at 12:11 PM, Dan Langille wrote:

> On 6 Sep 2006 at 15:30, Dan Langille wrote:
>
>> Gidday folks,
>>
>> One way I can contribute my services to the project is in the form of
>> backup services. You tell me what files need to be backed up from
>> what
>> servers, and it'll be done on the frequency required.
>>
>> Restores can be arranged for those that have admin access.  We can
>> keep a designated number of backups online, for immediate access.
>> Older backups will be stored offline.
>>
>> Bacula is my tool of choice.  Let me know how I can help.
>
> Is the lack of response a verification that no help is required or
> did I pick a bad time?
>
> --
> Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
> my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: backup infrastructure

Дата:
"Gavin M. Roy" <gmr@ehpg.net> writes:
>> On 6 Sep 2006 at 15:30, Dan Langille wrote:
>> Is the lack of response a verification that no help is required or
>> did I pick a bad time?

> Probably timing, and people probably want to digest the idea a bit.

I believe Marc is still in process of moving ... so until he's settled
in, I doubt very much is going to happen.  It's an important issue though.

            regards, tom lane

Re: backup infrastructure

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Dan Langille wrote:

> On 6 Sep 2006 at 15:30, Dan Langille wrote:
>
>> Gidday folks,
>>
>> One way I can contribute my services to the project is in the form of
>> backup services. You tell me what files need to be backed up from what
>> servers, and it'll be done on the frequency required.
>>
>> Restores can be arranged for those that have admin access.  We can
>> keep a designated number of backups online, for immediate access.
>> Older backups will be stored offline.
>>
>> Bacula is my tool of choice.  Let me know how I can help.
>
> Is the lack of response a verification that no help is required or
> did I pick a bad time?

What is needed on the vServer side of things?  A client, I assume?  And
how much data is it safe to backup?  postgresql.org is up to 24G in size,
and growing ... :)

We're in the process of setting up a full backup to a remote server *just
in case*, but that will include *all* files, so that we could fail over as
required ... so I'm not sure whether or not there would be a benefit to
'per file backups', but I'm not against it either if others here feel that
this would help ...

----

Re: backup infrastructure

От
"Dan Langille"
Дата:
On 13 Sep 2006 at 18:27, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > On 6 Sep 2006 at 15:30, Dan Langille wrote:
> >
> >> Gidday folks,
> >>
> >> One way I can contribute my services to the project is in the form of
> >> backup services. You tell me what files need to be backed up from what
> >> servers, and it'll be done on the frequency required.
> >>
> >> Restores can be arranged for those that have admin access.  We can
> >> keep a designated number of backups online, for immediate access.
> >> Older backups will be stored offline.
> >>
> >> Bacula is my tool of choice.  Let me know how I can help.
> >
> > Is the lack of response a verification that no help is required or
> > did I pick a bad time?
>
> What is needed on the vServer side of things?  A client, I assume?  And
> how much data is it safe to backup?  postgresql.org is up to 24G in size,
> and growing ... :)

Yes, it is a client.  In the FreeBSD ports tree, it is
sysutuils/bacula-server.

I can just as easily mirror static data as opposed to backing up
dynamic data.

> We're in the process of setting up a full backup to a remote server *just
> in case*, but that will include *all* files, so that we could fail over as
> required ... so I'm not sure whether or not there would be a benefit to
> 'per file backups', but I'm not against it either if others here feel that
> this would help ...

Once your current rush subsides, and there is slight pause, let me
know.