Обсуждение: jabber.postgresql.org

jabber.postgresql.org

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Hello,

I would like to setup jabber.postgresql.org so community members that
use IM can use it without having to use AIM or Yahoo etc...

Any interest in this? It would include MUC as well (multi user chat).

And yes, we will host it.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: jabber.postgresql.org

От
"Dave Page"

-----Original Message-----
From: "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>
To: "PostgreSQL WWW" <pgsql-www@postgresql.org>
Sent: 28/07/06 19:54
Subject: [pgsql-www] jabber.postgresql.org

Hello,

> I would like to setup jabber.postgresql.org so community members that
> use IM can use it without having to use AIM or Yahoo etc...

> Any interest in this? It would include MUC as well (multi user chat).

Yes, that could be useful (and might help reduce the number of I'm accounts I seem to need to talk to everyone these
days!)

/D

Re: jabber.postgresql.org

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I would like to setup jabber.postgresql.org so community members that
> use IM can use it without having to use AIM or Yahoo etc...

Aren't there enough public jabber servers available?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: jabber.postgresql.org

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> I would like to setup jabber.postgresql.org so community members that
>> use IM can use it without having to use AIM or Yahoo etc...
>
> Aren't there enough public jabber servers available?

That is kind of exactly the point. I have no desire to be on a public
jabber server (although there is nothing stopping us from sharing).

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: jabber.postgresql.org

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> That is kind of exactly the point. I have no desire to be on a public
> jabber server

Why not?

And what kind of access controls to do plan to set up to effectively
prevent this one from becoming public?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: jabber.postgresql.org

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> That is kind of exactly the point. I have no desire to be on a public
>> jabber server
>
> Why not?
>
> And what kind of access controls to do plan to set up to effectively
> prevent this one from becoming public?

Quick question, but why not just encourage ppl to use ... Skype?  I
thought Skype had teh ability to do 'chat rooms' as well as
person-to-person?

----

Re: jabber.postgresql.org

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> That is kind of exactly the point. I have no desire to be on a public
>> jabber server
>
> Why not?

Just my preference.

> And what kind of access controls to do plan to set up to effectively
> prevent this one from becoming public?

There is a number that *could* be used.

1. Don't allow user discovery, so even if you register, someone would
have to invite you (or vice versa)

2. Don't allow public registration

3. Only allow registration based on mailing list membership

My initial thought was just that the more active members of the project
would use it. For example the web team, the fundraising team etc...

Hackers might want to use the muc portion to have closed room
conversation about patches or problems they are trying to overcome etc...

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: jabber.postgresql.org

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Quick question, but why not just encourage ppl to use ... Skype?  I
> thought Skype had teh ability to do 'chat rooms' as well as
> person-to-person?

1. Well the most immediate being it is "yet" another client.
2. It is not open source
3. It is not a open specification

The first one being my personal reason.

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Email . scrappy@hub.org                              MSN . scrappy@hub.org
> Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: jabber.postgresql.org

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hello,

On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 11:54 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I would like to setup jabber.postgresql.org so community members that
> use IM can use it without having to use AIM or Yahoo etc...

This was something that I brought up at the conference; however there
was only 1 question: "What will be the policy for the people that will
have jabber.postgresql.org account?"

Will it be 10s? 100s? or 1000s?