Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,

I've cleaned up several issues reported by a member of the public about the
8.1.1 release notice.   In the process, though, I noticed that someone
added code which adds <br> tags in place of every carriage return.  This
makes it hard/impossible to properly format news items (see the 8.1.1 for
an example).  Is there some way to turn this off when editing?

--Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant

Re: 8.1.1 News Item,
tags

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi Josh,

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> I've cleaned up several issues reported by a member of the public about the
> 8.1.1 release notice.   In the process, though, I noticed that someone
> added code which adds <br> tags in place of every carriage return.  This
> makes it hard/impossible to properly format news items (see the 8.1.1 for
> an example).  Is there some way to turn this off when editing?

? I've fixed that about 2 hours ago, per a comment at irc.freenode. The
tags were my fault BTW. Sorry.

Re: 8.1.1 News Item,
tags

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Deverim,

> ? I've fixed that about 2 hours ago, per a comment at irc.freenode.

There was more actually.  Not just the link.

> The
> tags were my fault BTW. Sorry.

Well, I think they're a good idea sometimes.   We just need the ability to
turn them off if we don't want them. Ala Slashdot: "formatting: Plain Old
Text|HTML"

--Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant
josh@agliodbs.com     www.agliodbs.com
Ph: 415-752-2500    Fax: 415-752-2387
2166 Hayes Suite 200    San Francisco, CA

Re: 8.1.1 News Item,
tags

От
Dave Page

On 13/12/05 9:03 pm, "Devrim GUNDUZ" <devrim@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> I've cleaned up several issues reported by a member of the public about the
>> 8.1.1 release notice.   In the process, though, I noticed that someone
>> added code which adds <br> tags in place of every carriage return.  This
>> makes it hard/impossible to properly format news items (see the 8.1.1 for
>> an example).  Is there some way to turn this off when editing?
>
> ? I've fixed that about 2 hours ago, per a comment at irc.freenode. The
> tags were my fault BTW. Sorry.

I fixed that this afternoon!

The problem is Josh, that if we don't insert <br> tags, everyone's articles
become one big paragraph. Format how you want it to look in plain text and
it'll come out OK on the site.

Regards, Dave

Re: 8.1.1 News Item,
tags

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Am Dienstag, den 13.12.2005, 22:22 +0000 schrieb Dave Page:

..
> The problem is Josh, that if we don't insert <br> tags, everyone's articles
> become one big paragraph. Format how you want it to look in plain text and
> it'll come out OK on the site.

p {white-space:pre}

fixes it.

HTH
Tino Wildenhain

Re: 8.1.1 News Item,
tags

От
Dave Page

On 13/12/05 10:33 pm, "Tino Wildenhain" <tino@wildenhain.de> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 13.12.2005, 22:22 +0000 schrieb Dave Page:
>>
> ..
>> The problem is Josh, that if we don't insert <br> tags, everyone's articles
>> become one big paragraph. Format how you want it to look in plain text and
>> it'll come out OK on the site.
>
> p {white-space:pre}
>
> fixes it.

Cool thanks - that might fix another issue as well...

Regards, Dave

Re: 8.1.1 News Item,
tags

От
Dave Page

On 13/12/05 10:41 pm, "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> wrote:

> On 13/12/05 10:33 pm, "Tino Wildenhain" <tino@wildenhain.de> wrote:
>
>> Am Dienstag, den 13.12.2005, 22:22 +0000 schrieb Dave Page:
>>>
>> ..
>>> The problem is Josh, that if we don't insert <br> tags, everyone's articles
>>> become one big paragraph. Format how you want it to look in plain text and
>>> it'll come out OK on the site.
>>
>> p {white-space:pre}
>>
>> fixes it.
>
> Cool thanks - that might fix another issue as well...

Hmm, unfortunately not the answer. It does it's job too well because it
stops the text wrapping as well as honouring whitespaces (at least it does
in Safari).

It also seems it gets ignored by IE < 6.0 which probably still accounts for
a good percentage of our visitors.

:-(

Regards, Dave

Re: 8.1.1 News Item,
tags

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dave,

> The problem is Josh, that if we don't insert <br> tags, everyone's
> articles become one big paragraph. Format how you want it to look in
> plain text and it'll come out OK on the site.

Yes, but that doesn't work for <ul> lists or other non-paragraph
formatting.  Like I said, I think that adding the <br>'s automatically for
public submissions is a good idea.   I just think that *we* should be able
to turn it off if we want to fix the formatting by hand.

--Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant
josh@agliodbs.com     www.agliodbs.com
Ph: 415-752-2500    Fax: 415-752-2387
2166 Hayes Suite 200    San Francisco, CA

Re: 8.1.1 News Item,
tags

От
Guido Barosio
Дата:
Hi,

  what about using the <p> instead?

g.-

Dave,

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

--
"Adopting the position that you are smarter than an automaticoptimization algorithm is generally a good way to achieve lessperformance, not more" - Tom Lane.

Re: 8.1.1 News Item,
tags

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Am Dienstag, den 13.12.2005, 23:25 +0000 schrieb Dave Page:

> On 13/12/05 10:41 pm, "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > On 13/12/05 10:33 pm, "Tino Wildenhain" <tino@wildenhain.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Am Dienstag, den 13.12.2005, 22:22 +0000 schrieb Dave Page:
> >>>
> >> ..
> >>
> >> p {white-space:pre}
> >>
> >> fixes it.
> >
> > Cool thanks - that might fix another issue as well...
>
> Hmm, unfortunately not the answer. It does it's job too well because it
> stops the text wrapping as well as honouring whitespaces (at least it does
> in Safari).

Well, you either have text wrapping or you have something like <br />
gives - sort of. Otoh, if wrapping of paragraphs is desired, each
paragraph should just have its own <p> </p> around it.
The text only variant of this would be a list of paragraph texts.

> It also seems it gets ignored by IE < 6.0 which probably still accounts for
> a good percentage of our visitors.

While the question arisis if these are really IE < 6.0 users or
just users with default spoofing other browsers.

If they are true IE 5.x users, they dont have much fun in the web
anyway and should not care about some design oddities ;)

Re: 8.1.1 News Item,
tags

От
"Dave Page"

Trying to parse the text and put <p>'s around it will lead to exactly
the problem Josh is compalining about with the <br>'s unfortunately.

> > It also seems it gets ignored by IE < 6.0 which probably
> still accounts for
> > a good percentage of our visitors.
>
> While the question arisis if these are really IE < 6.0 users or
> just users with default spoofing other browsers.
>
> If they are true IE 5.x users, they dont have much fun in the web
> anyway and should not care about some design oddities ;)

The differences between IE5 and IE6 are minimal compared to IE4. The
vast majority of sites are likely to work perfectly well in 5. It's also
worth remembering that for a long time Microsoft didn't release IE6 as a
standalone upgrade for Win2K, and didn't exactly shout about it when
they did, so there might still be quite a few Win2K users still unaware
that they can run something newer.

Regards, Dave

Re: 8.1.1 News Item,
tags

От
"Dave Page"

Unfortunately it's not as simple as just turning it off - we'd need to
modify the code right the way from input form, through the admin pages
to the page generation because we store the raw input in the database.
We'd need to add a flag to tell the system how to render the content.
That's not to say it can't be done, just that it's a non-trivial job.

FWIW though, UL/LI formatting does work OK as it is - see
http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/about/news.419 for example.

Regards, Dave