Обсуждение: Re: [HACKERS] Upcoming PG re-releases

Re: [HACKERS] Upcoming PG re-releases

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wednesday 30 November 2005 11:40, Tom Lane wrote:
> Personally I expect to keep supporting 7.3 for a long while, because Red
> Hat pays me to ;-) ... and the EOL date for RHEL3 is a long way away yet.
> The PG community may stop bothering with 7.3 releases before that.  But
> I think Marc and Bruce figure "as long as the patches are in our CVS we
> may as well put out a release".

Yeah, thats one of the reasons I am skeptical about having official policies
on this type of thing.  If Sun decided they wanted to maintain 7.2 and were
going to dedicate developers and testing for it, would we really turn that
away?  OK, I don't really want to have this discussion again, but as of now I
think we are all agreed that 7.2 is unsupported.

> We hashed all this out in the pghackers list back in August, but I agree
> there ought to be something about it on the website.

We've been kicking it around but haven't moved much on this...

Marc, can you move the 7.2 branches in the FTP under the OLD directory?
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/

We need to do the same with 7.2 documentation, moving them into the Manual
Archive http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/archive.html.  We can also
change the caption on the main documentation page to note these are manuals
for the current supported versions.

--
Robert Treat

Re: [HACKERS] Upcoming PG re-releases

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Done, as well as moved all but the last two of each version after ...

----

Re: [HACKERS] Upcoming PG re-releases

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 01:23:38PM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 November 2005 11:40, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Personally I expect to keep supporting 7.3 for a long while,
> > because Red Hat pays me to ;-) ... and the EOL date for RHEL3 is a
> > long way away yet.  The PG community may stop bothering with 7.3
> > releases before that.  But I think Marc and Bruce figure "as long
> > as the patches are in our CVS we may as well put out a release".
>
> Yeah, thats one of the reasons I am skeptical about having official
> policies on this type of thing.

I see this as an excellent reason to draw a bright, sharp line between
what vendors support and what the community as a whole does,
especially where individual community members wear another hat.

> If Sun decided they wanted to maintain 7.2 and were going to
> dedicate developers and testing for it, would we really turn that
> away?

If any company chooses to support versions that the community is no
longer supporting, that can be part of their value-add or more
properly, their headache.  Making commitments on behalf of the
community--which will be held responsible for them no matter what
happens--based on what some company says it's going to do this week is
*extremely* ill-advised.

> OK, I don't really want to have this discussion again, but as of now
> I think we are all agreed that 7.2 is unsupported.

And it's good that we're making more definite moves to show that we no
longer support it :)

> > We hashed all this out in the pghackers list back in August, but I agree
> > there ought to be something about it on the website.
> >

> We've been kicking it around but haven't moved much on this...
>
> Marc, can you move the 7.2 branches in the FTP under the OLD directory?
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/
>
> We need to do the same with 7.2 documentation, moving them into the Manual
> Archive http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/archive.html.  We can also
> change the caption on the main documentation page to note these are manuals
> for the current supported versions.

Excellent :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: [HACKERS] Upcoming PG re-releases

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, David Fetter wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 01:23:38PM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
>> On Wednesday 30 November 2005 11:40, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Personally I expect to keep supporting 7.3 for a long while,
>>> because Red Hat pays me to ;-) ... and the EOL date for RHEL3 is a
>>> long way away yet.  The PG community may stop bothering with 7.3
>>> releases before that.  But I think Marc and Bruce figure "as long
>>> as the patches are in our CVS we may as well put out a release".
>>
>> Yeah, thats one of the reasons I am skeptical about having official
>> policies on this type of thing.
>
> I see this as an excellent reason to draw a bright, sharp line between
> what vendors support and what the community as a whole does,
> especially where individual community members wear another hat.

So, if Sun, SRA, Pervasive, Command Prompt, etc were to submit a patch for
v7.2, we'd refuse it?  I think not ...

Will we accept/fix a bug report *for* v7.2, that is different ...

----

Re: [HACKERS] Upcoming PG re-releases

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

>> I see this as an excellent reason to draw a bright, sharp line between
>> what vendors support and what the community as a whole does,
>> especially where individual community members wear another hat.
>

> So, if Sun, SRA, Pervasive, Command Prompt, etc were to submit a patch
> for v7.2, we'd refuse it?  I think not ...

Oh but you should. The community has enough to worry about.

Joshua D. Drake

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [HACKERS] Upcoming PG re-releases

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 11:56:33PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, David Fetter wrote:

> >>Yeah, thats one of the reasons I am skeptical about having official
> >>policies on this type of thing.
> >
> >I see this as an excellent reason to draw a bright, sharp line between
> >what vendors support and what the community as a whole does,
> >especially where individual community members wear another hat.
>
> So, if Sun, SRA, Pervasive, Command Prompt, etc were to submit a patch for
> v7.2, we'd refuse it?

That depends on what you mean by "refuse."  Such a patch wouldn't
resurrect the original Postgres with POSTQUEL and cause us to support
it, and it won't cause us to start supporting PostgreSQL 7.2 again
either.

That said, there's a backports project on pgfoundry.  We could see
about something like an "attic" project for such patches, etc.  This
way, the community doesn't get albatrosses draped over its neck, and
the patches are available for those interested :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!