Обсуждение: Woops! New May quote/poll?

Woops! New May quote/poll?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
Anyone got a new quote or poll for may?

--
Robert Treat

Re: Woops! New May quote/poll?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Robert,

> Anyone got a new quote or poll for may?

How about the Software Patent survey?

=====================
Should the PostgreSQL Community make a statement against software patents on
our web site?

[] No, we're not political
[] Yes, but low-key
[] Yes, as big as possible
=====================

Alternately:
=====================
What continent do you have PostgreSQL servers on?

[] Europe
[] Asia
[] North America
[] South America
[] Australia/Oceania
[] Several of the above

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Woops! New May quote/poll?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 12:23, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > Anyone got a new quote or poll for may?
>
> How about the Software Patent survey?
>
> =====================
> Should the PostgreSQL Community make a statement against software patents on
> our web site?
>
> [] No, we're not political
> [] Yes, but low-key
> [] Yes, as big as possible
> =====================

I can't help but think that question is biased since it is pre-supposes
that one should be against software patents.

What type of stand do you, as a PostgreSQL community member, feel
PostgreSQL should take on the introduction of an American style patent
system into Europe?

[] For it
[] Against it
[] This is a legal/political issue, and we should stay out of it

> Alternately:
> =====================
> What continent do you have PostgreSQL servers on?
>
> [] Europe
> [] Asia
> [] North America
> [] South America
> [] Australia/Oceania
> [] Several of the above

IIRC we can't do multiple choice polls yet right? If we could this would
be a good one.

Another alternative...

How many packages do you use regularly from the pgfoundry/gborg
development sites?

[] 0 - my employer wont allow non-core packages
[] 0
[] 1
[] 2 - 5
[] 5 - 10
[] 10+

Robert Treat

Re: Woops! New May quote/poll?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
R,

> I can't help but think that question is biased since it is pre-supposes
> that one should be against software patents.

Hmmm ... your version is not terribly actionable though.  Try:

Should the PostgreSQL Community make a statement against software patents
on our web site?

[] No, I favor software patents
[] No, we're not political
[] Yes, but low-key
[] Yes, as big as possible

> How many packages do you use regularly from the pgfoundry/gborg
> development sites?

I like this one too, but if we're going to do SW patents, we need to do them
now.

--Josh

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Woops! New May quote/poll?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 16:17, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > I can't help but think that question is biased since it is pre-supposes
> > that one should be against software patents.
>
> Hmmm ... your version is not terribly actionable though.  Try:
>
> Should the PostgreSQL Community make a statement against software patents
> on our web site?
>
> [] No, I favor software patents
> [] No, we're not political
> [] Yes, but low-key
> [] Yes, as big as possible

Hmm... I tend to think my version is actually more actionable. Most of
the reasons I hear that people are against software patents are related
to how our patent system is run, not that people are against the idea of
patents as a whole.

The reason I think this distinction is important is because even if a
lot of people say we should make a big statement against software
patents, a lot of people would probably grumble about particulars of the
wording.  I think that with my wording, the focus is narrow enough that
people could probably reach a consensus.

I guess this assumes that people actually think about these types of
issues and aren't just zealots, but perhaps I am misreading things. Let
me know which way you want to go and I'll slap it up there.

Robert Treat

Re: Woops! New May quote/poll?

Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 16:17, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > I can't help but think that question is biased since it is pre-supposes
> > > that one should be against software patents.
> >
> > Hmmm ... your version is not terribly actionable though.  Try:
> >
> > Should the PostgreSQL Community make a statement against software patents
> > on our web site?
> >
> > [] No, I favor software patents
> > [] No, we're not political
> > [] Yes, but low-key
> > [] Yes, as big as possible
> >

> Hmm... I tend to think my version is actually more actionable. Most of

OK, who used the word "actionable" on our mailing lists?  :-)

Re: Woops! New May quote/poll?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Robert,

> > Should the PostgreSQL Community make a statement against software patents
> > on our web site?
> >
> > [] No, I favor software patents
> > [] No, we're not political
> > [] Yes, but low-key
> > [] Yes, as big as possible
>
> Hmm... I tend to think my version is actually more actionable. Most of
> the reasons I hear that people are against software patents are related
> to how our patent system is run, not that people are against the idea of
> patents as a whole.

Hmmm ... yeah, change the question, same answer options?

Should the PostgreSQL Community make a statement against the current European
software patent initiative on our web site?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions