Обсуждение: Colours & sizes

Colours & sizes

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
OK, I hacked about the stylesheets a bit and came up with this
http://pgweb.pgadmin.org/

Putting the font at 100% makes it even bigger than the current large
size, so I just tweaked it a bit...

Comments?

/D

Re: Colours & sizes

От
Emily Boyd
Dave Page wrote:
> OK, I hacked about the stylesheets a bit and came up with this
> http://pgweb.pgadmin.org/
>
> Putting the font at 100% makes it even bigger than the current large
> size, so I just tweaked it a bit...

The font size doesn't need changing. Larger fonts look less professional
and are actually *harder* to read for most people (note that 67% of
survey respondents are happy with the current default).

Whichever default is chosen, there will *always* be some people who are
not happy - but they can simply choose the "larger" option and have
their preference remembered. While it may be a one-time inconvenience,
it makes more sense to inconvenience a minority rather than the majority
of site visitors (who are obviously satisfied with the current default).

By the way, the method we've employed for font sizing in the CSS is best
practice. We've used percentages that were specifically chosen as they
equal standard web font sizes; they have been tested extensively and
look the same on every browser/platform. It's not possible to just
"tweak" the percentages to change font sizes. The method we've used is
also the best for accessibility as it does not override the user's
preferences and allows font resizing in every browser.

Emily

Re: Colours & sizes

От
"Dave Page"

Yes, I did see that. The feeling on the list seems to be contrary to
that however. That is why I did a mockup rather than just change it.

> Whichever default is chosen, there will *always* be some
> people who are
> not happy - but they can simply choose the "larger" option and have
> their preference remembered. While it may be a one-time
> inconvenience,
> it makes more sense to inconvenience a minority rather than
> the majority
> of site visitors (who are obviously satisfied with the
> current default).

Why do we need such an option though? The majority of sites I'm aware of
use a *slightly* larger standard font size, and then leave any
customisation to the browser.

*** In addition, as Peter has pointed out - the switching code does not
work in all browsers. ***

> By the way, the method we've employed for font sizing in the
> CSS is best
> practice. We've used percentages that were specifically
> chosen as they
> equal standard web font sizes; they have been tested extensively and
> look the same on every browser/platform. It's not possible to just
> "tweak" the percentages to change font sizes. The method
> we've used is
> also the best for accessibility as it does not override the user's
> preferences and allows font resizing in every browser.

Err, all I did was tweak your percentages. I didn't make any changes
that would prevent the browser changing sizes.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Colours & sizes

Дата:
Emily Boyd wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
> > OK, I hacked about the stylesheets a bit and came up with this
> > http://pgweb.pgadmin.org/
> >
> > Putting the font at 100% makes it even bigger than the current large
> > size, so I just tweaked it a bit...
>
> The font size doesn't need changing. Larger fonts look less professional
> and are actually *harder* to read for most people (note that 67% of
> survey respondents are happy with the current default).

That's a pretty big generalization.  Are you saying 1% is easier to read
than 100%.  I doubt that.

The fact is that PostgreSQL's web site has a smaller default font than
any other web site I normally visit.

Re: Colours & sizes

От
Emily Boyd
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> The fact is that PostgreSQL's web site has a smaller default font than
> any other web site I normally visit.

I can't speak for the sites that *you* visit, but we're using a default
font size that's a web standard - Microsoft, IBM, and many others use
*exactly* the same font.

Emily

Re: Colours & sizes

Дата:
Emily Boyd wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > The fact is that PostgreSQL's web site has a smaller default font than
> > any other web site I normally visit.
>
> I can't speak for the sites that *you* visit, but we're using a default
> font size that's a web standard - Microsoft, IBM, and many others use
> *exactly* the same font.

That helps me greatly.  I did a side-by-side comparison of fonts from
the three sites:

    http://candle.pha.pa.us/tmp/web.jpg

The page on the left is PostgreSQL, the middle is IBM, the right is
Microsoft.

You are right the fonts seem to be the same size.  The 'o' is the same
size on all of them as far as I can tell.   However, those comparisons
are for the font itself.  The difference is that the non-PostgreSQL
sites seem to have more space between letters, and certainly more space
between the lines.

They are using that small font for bullet lists and menus, while we are
using that font for paragraph text, and a even smaller font for the
News/Events section.

Looking at their sites they use larger text/images to highlight
information and the small text for menus and stuff.  I don't see any
similar large text/images on our site.

Re: Colours & sizes

От
Emily Boyd
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>>[snip]
>>I can't speak for the sites that *you* visit, but we're using a default
>>font size that's a web standard - Microsoft, IBM, and many others use
>>*exactly* the same font.
>
> That helps me greatly.  I did a side-by-side comparison of fonts from
> the three sites:
>
>     http://candle.pha.pa.us/tmp/web.jpg
>
> The page on the left is PostgreSQL, the middle is IBM, the right is
> Microsoft.

I also did a side-by-side comparison (and threw in a couple of extras):

http://postgresql.tinysofa.com/files/body_text_comparison.png

I compared body text to body text to body text.

Unlike your comparison, which was body text to navigation text to
navigation text - not exactly a useful comparison.

> You are right the fonts seem to be the same size.  The 'o' is the same
> size on all of them as far as I can tell.   However, those comparisons
> are for the font itself.  The difference is that the non-PostgreSQL
> sites seem to have more space between letters, and certainly more space
> between the lines.

There's no difference. Space between letters is identical. Space between
lines is identical between PostgreSQL and IBM (slightly larger for
Microsoft).

> They are using that small font for bullet lists and menus, while we are
> using that font for paragraph text, and a even smaller font for the
> News/Events section.

Incorrect. As you'll see in my comparison, all three sites (and many
others) are using that so-called "small font" for body text.

Incidentally, IBM uses the exact same "smaller font" as PostgreSQL to
link to their news items.

Emily

Re: Colours & sizes

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Emily Boyd wrote:
> Incorrect. As you'll see in my comparison, all three sites (and many
> others) are using that so-called "small font" for body text.

I think the use of grey rather than black for the text color may
contribute to the legibility problems that some people perceive.  The
combinaton of a small font and a pale color almost makes it appear as
though we don't want people to find the text.  The shade of blue isn't
particularly powerful either.

It might also help if the content were anchored to the left (as is done
on the sites cited as examples) so that it is easier for the eye to
navigate.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Colours & sizes

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Hello,

To be honest I think this whole font size argument is silly.

1. It is an opinion and guess how many of those everyone has?

2. I run in 1280x1024 at work, and can view the site without
issue. I run 1600x1200 at home and can view the site without issue.

Perhaps the people who are having problems with the font size
should:

1. **gasp** get their eyes checked?

2. Make sure their monitor is running above 60HZ

3. Decrease their resolution and give up on the fact that they
are not 16 and their eyes just are not as good as they used be.

4. Look at almost EVERY other professional site and see that
the font size is comparable. Including:

Microsoft
Novell
IBM