Обсуждение: Design Rough

Design Rough

От
"Gavin M. Roy"
Дата:
This is a very rough concept of an idea I've been toying with for the
new site.  Feedback is requested so I can fine tune it.  I'm working on
a homepage version of it.

http://ehpg.net/~gavinr/pgsql/template.html

Gavin

Re: Design Rough

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On May 13, 2004, at 7:53 AM, Gavin M. Roy wrote:

> This is a very rough concept of an idea I've been toying with for the
> new site.  Feedback is requested so I can fine tune it.  I'm working
> on a homepage version of it.
>
> http://ehpg.net/~gavinr/pgsql/template.html

I just wanna say Yes! (in the words of Molly Bloom). Sweet, Gavin!

What a wonderful thing to wake up to!

I'll test it in Safari 1.2.1 (v125.1).

One initial possible Safari bug:
Right now the Advertisement box encroaches on the PostgreSQL banner
area when it first loads. As soon as I mouse over the sidenav, it
shifts down so the top of the Advertisement box lines up with the top
of PostgreSQL 7.4.2 Documentation

I'll continue testing and post more comments later.

Thanks, Gavin!

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: Design Rough

От
Alexey Borzov
Дата:
Hi!

Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> This is a very rough concept of an idea I've been toying with for the
> new site.  Feedback is requested so I can fine tune it.  I'm working on
> a homepage version of it.
>
> http://ehpg.net/~gavinr/pgsql/template.html

Looks cool!

Now on to the problems:
1) I suggest doing a fixed (in pt, probably) font-size. Current 'small' has very
different sizes in MSIE 6 and Mozilla (OK in Mozilla, too big in MSIE).
2) Top menu should have a means to highlight the current position. Can you also
paly with making it in some sort of tabs?
3) Search box, mirror selection, language selection.

Re: Design Rough

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On May 13, 2004, at 3:29 PM, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> Now on to the problems:
> 1) I suggest doing a fixed (in pt, probably) font-size. Current
> 'small' has very different sizes in MSIE 6 and Mozilla (OK in Mozilla,
> too big in MSIE).

I strongly recommend *not* using fixed font sizes. As an alternative,
I'd suggest using alternative style sheets and a css-style switcher. If
people find it too big (or too small), they can easily change the size
for themselves. Using fixed point sizes is a definite strike against
accessibility. Using fixed font sizes prevents people from resizing the
font size using their browsers, among other things.

Here are a couple of links for different css style switching
implementations. They can be used, of course, to do much more than just
change font size.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/alternate/
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/n4switch/

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: Design Rough

От
"Dave Page"

Hi Gavin,

To be honest I don't like it as it is right now. There's no clear
identity - the PostgreSQL text sort of floats off in the corner on my
monitor out of focus (not literally, the focus of what draws me to the
page), and the logo is not clear, and makes the text that's over it hard
to read. The initial focal point of any page tends to be the top-left as
that's where we start reading from - I think we need a good solid logo
top-left/middle and then work down from there. That way we clearly
identify the site, and show the user the full logo, allowing them to
more easily associate the elephant logo with PostgreSQL.

In addition, I think the boxes down the side could do with something to
make them less part of the main page - perhaps the background within
them could be a slightly darker shade than the rest of the page
background to clearly separate them from the content.

Sorry :-)

Regards, Dave.

Re: Design Rough

От
Alexey Borzov
Дата:
Hi!

Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>> Now on to the problems:
>> 1) I suggest doing a fixed (in pt, probably) font-size. Current
>> 'small' has very different sizes in MSIE 6 and Mozilla (OK in Mozilla,
>> too big in MSIE).
>

> I strongly recommend *not* using fixed font sizes. As an alternative,
> I'd suggest using alternative style sheets and a css-style switcher. If
> people find it too big (or too small), they can easily change the size
> for themselves. Using fixed point sizes is a definite strike against
> accessibility. Using fixed font sizes prevents people from resizing the
> font size using their browsers, among other things.

1) Modern browsers are perfectly capable of resizing the fonts if there
sizes are set in points.
2) Browsers have wildly different ideas about what 'small' and 'x-small'
are. That's why the menu on current PostgreSQL site is readable in some
browsers and completely unreadable in others. Do we want repeating it?

Re: Design Rough

От
"Dave Page"

The reason we use x-small etc. is because we got so many complaints when
using other methods such as pt, px, % and so on.

Regards, Dave

Re: Design Rough

От
Alexey Borzov
Дата:
Hi!

Dave Page wrote:
>>1) Modern browsers are perfectly capable of resizing the
>>fonts if there sizes are set in points.
>>2) Browsers have wildly different ideas about what 'small'
>>and 'x-small'
>>are. That's why the menu on current PostgreSQL site is
>>readable in some browsers and completely unreadable in
>>others. Do we want repeating it?
>
> The reason we use x-small etc. is because we got so many complaints when
> using other methods such as pt, px, % and so on.

::shrug::

I don't strain my eyes only when reading the site in MSIE. Everything
else --- Mozilla, Konqueror --- makes the letters *way* too small.

Of course, MSIE is the winner of the browser wars, so we may just stick
to it.

Re: Design Rough

От
"Dave Page"

I quite agree, but after lots of experimentation, the people who had
difficulties for whatever reason were happy.

If it can be done another way that works universally then I have no
problem with that, as long as we don't disadvantage anyone (which is
illegal in the UK now incidently).

Regards, Dave

Design Rough Take 2

От
"Gavin M. Roy"
Дата:
After a little reworking I've come up with

  http://ehpg.net/~gavinr/pgsql/template2.html

I intend to do graphical tabs and what not, if we continue down the road
of developing this concept for the site.  I'd like to get some sort of
consensus of the value of continuing to develop this design direction
vrs dropping it to move in another direction.  I'm leaving for a
vacation Amsterdam on Monday and will be gone for 2 weeks.  Because of
my current work schedule, I won't be able to do much more until after I
get back.

Gavin

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Re: Design Rough Take 2

От
David Costa
Дата:
On May 13, 2004, at 9:42 PM, Gavin M. Roy wrote:

> After a little reworking I've come up with
>
>  http://ehpg.net/~gavinr/pgsql/template2.html

very very nice,
I really like it :D

Cheers
David  Costa

> I intend to do graphical tabs and what not, if we continue down the
> road of developing this concept for the site.  I'd like to get some
> sort of consensus of the value of continuing to develop this design
> direction vrs dropping it to move in another direction.  I'm leaving
> for a vacation Amsterdam on Monday and will be gone for 2 weeks.
> Because of my current work schedule, I won't be able to do much more
> until after I get back.
>
> Gavin
>
> Dave Page wrote:

Re: Design Rough Take 2

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
I'd go with a narrower right menu, for a start ... seems to take up an
awful lot of real estate as it is now ...

I like the 'watermarked logo', but think it should be more consistent ...
the 'dark top' throws things off, IMHO ...

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Gavin M. Roy wrote:

> After a little reworking I've come up with
>
>   http://ehpg.net/~gavinr/pgsql/template2.html
>
> I intend to do graphical tabs and what not, if we continue down the road
> of developing this concept for the site.  I'd like to get some sort of
> consensus of the value of continuing to develop this design direction
> vrs dropping it to move in another direction.  I'm leaving for a
> vacation Amsterdam on Monday and will be gone for 2 weeks.  Because of
> my current work schedule, I won't be able to do much more until after I
> get back.
>
> Gavin
>
> Dave Page wrote:

----

Re: Design Rough Take 2

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> I'd go with a narrower right menu, for a start ... seems to take up an
> awful lot of real estate as it is now ...
>
> I like the 'watermarked logo', but think it should be more consistent ...
> the 'dark top' throws things off, IMHO ...

I sort of liked the dark drop.  It gave the appearance of a translucent
sheet under the text.

Re: Design Rough Take 2

От
"Gavin M. Roy"
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>I'd go with a narrower right menu, for a start ... seems to take up an
>awful lot of real estate as it is now ...

What screen res are you viewing it in? is at best 300 pixels wide.  We
can easily make it narrower by shrinking the padding, again this was a
termorary one to see if the general design was good enough to justify
more work on it.

>I like the 'watermarked logo', but think it should be more consistent ...
>the 'dark top' throws things off, IMHO ...

it's worth a shot, I'll play with that when I'm next able.

Gavin

Re: Design Rough Take 2

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 13 May 2004, Gavin M. Roy wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
> >I'd go with a narrower right menu, for a start ... seems to take up an
> >awful lot of real estate as it is now ...
> >

> What screen res are you viewing it in? is at best 300 pixels wide.  We
> can easily make it narrower by shrinking the padding, again this was a
> termorary one to see if the general design was good enough to justify
> more work on it.

no clue, how do I tell? :)  I'm running off a laptop at home right now, I
believe at 1024x768 ...

----