Обсуждение: Final status of projects?

Final status of projects?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Students & Mentors,

I'd like to know how all of your projects came out.  I know about a few of
them, but not a lot of the others:

Florian -- still working on HOT Standby
Euler -- did not complete
Michael -- pgUnitTest released
Guodong Liu -- ???
German -- ???
Robert -- ???
Ivan -- Completed?  Partial?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Final status of projects?

От
Andrew Dunstan

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Students & Mentors,
>
> I'd like to know how all of your projects came out.  I know about a few of
> them, but not a lot of the others:
>
> Florian -- still working on HOT Standby
> Euler -- did not complete
> Michael -- pgUnitTest released
> Guodong Liu -- ???
> German -- ???
> Robert -- ???
> Ivan -- Completed?  Partial?

Doing the final review is on this afternoon's task list. Column level
privs is done (to SQL92 level).

cheers

andrew

Re: Final status of projects?

От
"Florian G. Pflug"
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Students & Mentors,
>
> I'd like to know how all of your projects came out.  I know about a few of
> them, but not a lot of the others:
>
> Florian -- still working on HOT Standby
PITR standby you mean, I think ;-)

I have completed an early prototype. Since the pencils-down dealine of
GSoC has already passed (It was 20th August), I'm currently working on
a patch to lazily assign XIDs. This is a generalization of a part of
my GSoC work, since readonly queries on PITR standby instances need to
be able to run without a real XID too (We cannot generate XIDs on the
standby, they might conflict with those generated on the master).

If this patch should go in, it'll remove one obstacle from the way
to readonly-queries on PITR slaves, and make the rest of the patch
a great deal less intrusive.

greetings, Florian Pflug

Re: Final status of projects?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Florian,

> I have completed an early prototype. Since the pencils-down dealine of
> GSoC has already passed (It was 20th August), I'm currently working on
> a patch to lazily assign XIDs.

Hmmm.  Would that allow us to use less XIDs on read-mostly databases?  I seem
to remember something about that on -hackers.

Whitepages.com will be thrilled ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Final status of projects?

От
"Florian G. Pflug"
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Florian,
>
>> I have completed an early prototype. Since the pencils-down dealine of
>> GSoC has already passed (It was 20th August), I'm currently working on
>> a patch to lazily assign XIDs.
>
> Hmmm.  Would that allow us to use less XIDs on read-mostly databases?  I seem
> to remember something about that on -hackers.
 >
 > Whitepages.com will be thrilled ...

Yes. Actually, the post from bruce on the 15th of august about talking to
someone at the LinuxWorld who needs to VACUUM every few days because he
runs 6k xacts/second gave me the idea factor out and improve that part of
my GSoC work. Don't know if he referred to Whitepages.com, though.

greetings, Florian Pflug

Re: Final status of projects?

От
"Mickael DELOISON"
Дата:
2007/8/29, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>:
> Students & Mentors,
>
> I'd like to know how all of your projects came out.  I know about a few of
> them, but not a lot of the others:
>
> Florian -- still working on HOT Standby
> Euler -- did not complete
> Michael -- pgUnitTest released
> Guodong Liu -- ???
> German -- ???
> Robert -- ???
> Ivan -- Completed?  Partial?
>

> --
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL @ Sun
> San Francisco

>        match

You are right: I have released a first version on pgFoundry:
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgunittest/

I posted a news on pgsql-announce. I had some answers about people
telling me that the idea is interesting and giving me advice to
improve the program.
I am already working on another version in C++ that I hope I will try
integrate to pgAdmin: this is my fall semester project... Then I will
be able to make my program known easily around the community.

Mickael

Re: Final status of projects?

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 19:51 +0200, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Students & Mentors,
> >
> > I'd like to know how all of your projects came out.  I know about a few of
> > them, but not a lot of the others:
> >
> > Florian -- still working on HOT Standby
> PITR standby you mean, I think ;-)

Hmmm, well if we say Hot Standby rather than HOT Standby. We need to
differentiate what we have now ("warm") with what we hope to achieve
("hot"). (I do have to say I've been amazed at how many people seem to
have confused what Florian is working on).

> I have completed an early prototype. Since the pencils-down dealine of
> GSoC has already passed (It was 20th August), I'm currently working on
> a patch to lazily assign XIDs. This is a generalization of a part of
> my GSoC work, since readonly queries on PITR standby instances need to
> be able to run without a real XID too (We cannot generate XIDs on the
> standby, they might conflict with those generated on the master).
>
> If this patch should go in, it'll remove one obstacle from the way
> to readonly-queries on PITR slaves, and make the rest of the patch
> a great deal less intrusive.

I'm very happy with what has been achieved, but we really should regard
this as research and not committable code. In this case, the idea of
"pencils down" doesn't make any sense.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Final status of projects?

От
"Florian G. Pflug"
Дата:
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 19:51 +0200, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
>> Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Students & Mentors,
>>>
>>> I'd like to know how all of your projects came out.  I know about a few of
>>> them, but not a lot of the others:
>>>
>>> Florian -- still working on HOT Standby
>> PITR standby you mean, I think ;-)
>
> Hmmm, well if we say Hot Standby rather than HOT Standby. We need to
> differentiate what we have now ("warm") with what we hope to achieve
> ("hot"). (I do have to say I've been amazed at how many people seem to
> have confused what Florian is working on).
When I read HOT, I immediatly thought "Heap-Only-Tuples", because I've
been reading that patch, to see if we can reuse some ideas for
lazy xid assignment. So I didn't even consider that HOT could mean hot ;-)

>> I have completed an early prototype. Since the pencils-down dealine of
>> GSoC has already passed (It was 20th August), I'm currently working on
>> a patch to lazily assign XIDs. This is a generalization of a part of
>> my GSoC work, since readonly queries on PITR standby instances need to
>> be able to run without a real XID too (We cannot generate XIDs on the
>> standby, they might conflict with those generated on the master).
>>
>> If this patch should go in, it'll remove one obstacle from the way
>> to readonly-queries on PITR slaves, and make the rest of the patch
>> a great deal less intrusive.
>
> I'm very happy with what has been achieved, but we really should regard
> this as research and not committable code. In this case, the idea of
> "pencils down" doesn't make any sense.
Full Ack. The fact that what I do now won't be part of the "official SoC
outcome" anyway just made it easier for me to justify my little "lazy
XID assignment" detour.

greetings, Florian Pflug

Re: Final status of projects?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wednesday 29 August 2007 18:13, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > I'm very happy with what has been achieved, but we really should regard
> > this as research and not committable code. In this case, the idea of
> > "pencils down" doesn't make any sense.
>
> Full Ack. The fact that what I do now won't be part of the "official SoC
> outcome" anyway just made it easier for me to justify my little "lazy
> XID assignment" detour.

It's worth remembering that one of the potential uses of the SoC is for things
just like this; researching a development avenue that otherwise no one would
have the time/energy to investigate.  Even if you don't end up with anything
worth implementing directly related to your topic, if you've pushed forward
the ideas in this area and can come up with ancillary benefits, I think that
should be considered quite a success.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Final status of projects?

От
Rober Mach
Дата:
Hi Josh,

results of my projects could be seen on
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgcheck/ (or directly on the web cvs
http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/pgcheck/pokus/src/). Pgcheck
can now check the integrity of pages of given relation and compare  its
items with items in its indexes. There are still docs and Makefile (for
contrib module) to be written, but I had to put it aside for now because
I have some exams in my collage on the beginning of Sempteber which I
have to pass. I will write the docs and Makefile before I upload it to
google repository, which would be around 10th of September.

Robert

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Students & Mentors,
>
> I'd like to know how all of your projects came out.  I know about a few of
> them, but not a lot of the others:
>
> Florian -- still working on HOT Standby
> Euler -- did not complete
> Michael -- pgUnitTest released
> Guodong Liu -- ???
> German -- ???
> Robert -- ???
> Ivan -- Completed?  Partial?

Re: Final status of projects?

От
"Germán Poó-Caamaño"
Дата:
2007/8/29, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>:
> Students & Mentors,
>
> I'd like to know how all of your projects came out.  I know about a few of
> them, but not a lot of the others:
>
> Florian -- still working on HOT Standby
> Euler -- did not complete
> Michael -- pgUnitTest released
> Guodong Liu -- ???
> German -- ???
> Robert -- ???
> Ivan -- Completed?  Partial?

I failed in terms of being shy about asking in mailing lists and not
complete the whole thing. I just bothered a lot to my mentor who was a
very good guide.  Unfortunately, my semester was extended more than I
expected so I couldn't spend the time I planed to this (the cons of
live in the south hemisphere).

I succeed in terms I was able to understand some Postgres internals
and being comfortable to work with, with regard of some small black
magic parts which still looks like as a voodoo to me.

My code is partially completed and it can be completed in order to be
evaluated/committed.

--
Germán Poó Caamaño
Concepción - Chile

Re: Final status of projects?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Hello everybody,

Do we have an organization administrator here?  I was unable to submit
my survey in time.  I sent a request about it to pgsql-mentors several
days ago but I haven't seen it delivered anywhere.

The org. admin is supposed to be able to submit the survey for me until
Sep. 10th.

--
Alvaro Herrera                          Developer, http://www.PostgreSQL.org/
"We are who we choose to be", sang the goldfinch

Re: Final status of projects?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Alvaro,

> The org. admin is supposed to be able to submit the survey for me until
> Sep. 10th.

I'm the admin.  Please get me your survey.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Final status of projects?

От
"Ivan Zolotukhin"
Дата:
Hello,

Unfortunately, I was not able to finish the project in time
completely; the job was done only partially. Oleg gave me a negative
final evaluation therefore.

But I'm still intended to commit the code in phpPgAdmin and continue
the work further. My patch looks much better now and I will raise a
corresponding topic in ppa-dev list soon.

Regards,
 Ivan

On 8/29/07, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Students & Mentors,
>
> I'd like to know how all of your projects came out.  I know about a few of
> them, but not a lot of the others:
>
> Florian -- still working on HOT Standby
> Euler -- did not complete
> Michael -- pgUnitTest released
> Guodong Liu -- ???
> German -- ???
> Robert -- ???
> Ivan -- Completed?  Partial?
>

> --
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL @ Sun
> San Francisco

>        match

Re: Final status of projects?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Sunday 09 September 2007 11:23, Ivan Zolotukhin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Unfortunately, I was not able to finish the project in time
> completely; the job was done only partially. Oleg gave me a negative
> final evaluation therefore.
>
> But I'm still intended to commit the code in phpPgAdmin and continue
> the work further. My patch looks much better now and I will raise a
> corresponding topic in ppa-dev list soon.

From the phppgadmin side, we're happy with the contribution so far (It's not
in the main tree yet, but I've looked at the patch (or series of patches) a
bit). One reason it hasn't been committed is the tsearch bits only got into
core a couple weeks ago, so that made it pretty difficult to
develop/test/review for us. I'm confident it will get in soon though.

--
Robert Treat