Обсуждение: Oracle to PostgreSQL Migration - Need Information

Oracle to PostgreSQL Migration - Need Information

От
Tim Clotworthy
Дата:
Hello,

I have a customer that is about to undertake a migration of an Oracle 11g database to PostgreSQL 9.x (exact version to be determined). I am talking not only of the migration of schemas and data, but also of a substantial codebase of Pl/SQL stored procedures, as well as many triggers.

I don't think they know yet what they are up against. Everything I have read is that this is a very substantial effort. At this stage, they would be particularly interested in realistic and practical information on how to estimate the effort required as well as any best-practices or guidance on transition strategies.

I have found official documentation on the PostgreSQL site for porting Pl/SQL to PL/pgSQL. This is excellent technical documentation. However, there success will require that they are well prepared realistically understanding the scope of the effor they are asbout to undertake.

Thanks for any response!

Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL Migration - Need Information

От
"ktm@rice.edu"
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 08, 2015 at 12:30:29PM -0400, Tim Clotworthy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a customer that is about to undertake a migration of an Oracle 11g
> database to PostgreSQL 9.x (exact version to be determined). I am talking
> not only of the migration of schemas and data, but also of a substantial
> codebase of Pl/SQL stored procedures, as well as many triggers.
>
> I don't think they know yet what they are up against. Everything I have
> read is that this is a very substantial effort. At this stage, they would
> be particularly interested in realistic and practical information on how to
> estimate the effort required as well as any best-practices or guidance on
> transition strategies.
>
> I have found official documentation on the PostgreSQL site for porting
> Pl/SQL to PL/pgSQL. This is excellent technical documentation. However,
> there success will require that they are well prepared realistically
> understanding the scope of the effor they are asbout to undertake.
>
> Thanks for any response!

Hi Tim,

You might want to give ora2pg a go (http://ora2pg.darold.net):

Features included:
       - Export full database schema (tables, views, sequences, indexes), with         unique, primary, foreign key and
checkconstraints.       - Export grants/privileges for users and groups.       - Export range and list partition.
-Export a table selection (by specifying the table names).       - Export Oracle schema to a PostgreSQL 8.4+ schema.
  - Export predefined functions, triggers, procedures, packages and         package bodies.       - Export full data or
followinga WHERE clause.       - Full support of Oracle BLOB object as PG BYTEA.       - Export Oracle views as PG
tables.      - Export Oracle user defined types.       - Provide some basic automatic conversion of PLSQL code to
PLPGSQL.      - Works on any plateform.       - Export Oracle tables as foreign data wrapper tables.       - Export
materializedview.       - Show a detailled report of an Oracle database content.       - Migration cost assessment of
anOracle database.       - Migration cost assessment of PL/SQL code from a file.       - Migration cost assessment of
OracleSQL queries stored in a file.       - Generate XML ktr files to be used with Penthalo Data Integrator (Kettle)
  - Export Oracle locator and spatial geometries into PostGis.

Regards,
Ken