Обсуждение: postgresql function not accepting null values in select statement

postgresql function not accepting null values in select statement

От
"Jyoti Seth"
Дата:
Serif","sans-serif";
color:green">Hi,</span><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"MS Reference Sans
Serif","sans-serif";
color:green"> </span><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"MS Reference Sans
Serif","sans-serif";
color:green">If I pass null value as the parameter of postgresql function, which is used in the where clause of select
statementis not functioning properly.</span><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"MS
ReferenceSans Serif","sans-serif";
color:green"> </span><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"MS Reference Sans
Serif","sans-serif";
color:green">I have also changed the value of transform_null_equals = on in the conf file and restarted postgresql. But
itis still giving error. </span><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"MS Reference Sans
Serif","sans-serif";
color:green"> </span><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"MS Reference Sans
Serif","sans-serif";
color:green">Is there any possible solution.</span><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"MS
ReferenceSans Serif","sans-serif";
color:green"> </span><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"MS Reference Sans
Serif","sans-serif";
color:green">Thanks,</span><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"MS Reference Sans
Serif","sans-serif";
color:green">Jyoti </span></div>

Re: postgresql function not accepting null values in select statement

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Jyoti Seth wrote:

> If I pass null value as the parameter of postgresql function, which is used
> in the where clause of select statement is not functioning properly.

Either:

1. You're talking about frooble(), in which case it's supposed to do that.

or

2. You'll need to tell us what function it is, how you're using it and
what you think should happen.

My guess is that you're getting a null as the result and that's not
doing what you'd expect in your where clause.

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Re: postgresql function not accepting null values in select statement

От
"Jyoti Seth"
Дата:
Hi,

I have a the following procedure

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION getfunctionaries(p_statecd integer) RETURNS SETOF t_functionaries AS
$BODY$
DECLARE rec t_functionaries%ROWTYPE;
begin      FOR rec IN SELECT f.functionaryid, f.category,f.descriptionFROM functionaries f    where
f.statecd=p_statecd
LOOP       return next rec;       END LOOP;      return;  end;
$BODY$ LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

In the functionaries table statecd is a null field. When I pass some integer
value to the above procedure it works correctly but if I pass null value in
p_statecd it doesn't show anything whereas it has values and if I write the
select statement separately it gives values

Thanks,
Jyoti

> If I pass null value as the parameter of postgresql function, which is
used
> in the where clause of select statement is not functioning properly.

Either:

1. You're talking about frooble(), in which case it's supposed to do that.

or

2. You'll need to tell us what function it is, how you're using it and
what you think should happen.

My guess is that you're getting a null as the result and that's not
doing what you'd expect in your where clause.

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Re: postgresql function not accepting null values in select statement

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Jyoti Seth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a the following procedure
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION getfunctionaries(p_statecd integer)

>     SELECT f.functionaryid, f.category,f.description
>     FROM functionaries f
>      where f.statecd=p_statecd

> In the functionaries table statecd is a null field. When I pass some integer
> value to the above procedure it works correctly but if I pass null value in
> p_statecd it doesn't show anything whereas it has values and if I write the
> select statement separately it gives values

You can't be getting results from a query WHERE statecd = NULL, because
NULL = NULL returns NULL, which is equivalent to false in a WHERE clause.

If you want to check for NULL you need to use statecd IS NULL, but if
you are treating it like a value then you're using it incorrectly.

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Re: postgresql function not accepting null values in select statement

От
"Robins Tharakan"
Дата:
Hi,

When you pass non-null values in p_statecd the result should work fine, but when you pass NULL in p_statecd ... the equal operator stops to work as you as expect it to.

Please see this documentation: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/functions-comparison.html
from where I quote: "Do not write expression = NULL because NULL is not "equal to" NULL. (The null value represents an unknown value, and it is not known whether two unknown values are equal.) This behavior conforms to the SQL standard."

As the document suggests you may want to try this way out:

.... WHERE f.statecd IS NOT DISTINCT FROM p_statecd

This would take care of both NULL and non-NULL values.

Robins

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: postgresql function not accepting null values inselect statement

От
"Bart Degryse"
Дата:
Can you try this...

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION getfunctionaries(p_statecd integer)
  RETURNS SETOF t_functionaries AS
$BODY$
DECLARE
  rec t_functionaries%ROWTYPE;
BEGIN
  FOR rec IN (
    SELECT f.functionaryid, f.category, f.description
    FROM functionaries f
    WHERE f.statecd IS NOT DISTINCT FROM p_statecd)
  LOOP
    return next rec;
  END LOOP;
  return;
END;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

>>> "Jyoti Seth" <jyotiseth2001@gmail.com> 2008-02-22 10:22 >>>
Hi,

I have a the following procedure

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION getfunctionaries(p_statecd integer)
  RETURNS SETOF t_functionaries AS
$BODY$
DECLARE rec t_functionaries%ROWTYPE;
begin
       FOR rec IN
SELECT f.functionaryid, f.category,f.description
FROM functionaries f
     where f.statecd=p_statecd

LOOP
        return next rec;
        END LOOP;
       return;
   end;
$BODY$
  LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

In the functionaries table statecd is a null field. When I pass some integer
value to the above procedure it works correctly but if I pass null value in
p_statecd it doesn't show anything whereas it has values and if I write the
select statement separately it gives values

Thanks,
Jyoti

> If I pass null value as the parameter of postgresql function, which is
used
> in the where clause of select statement is not functioning properly.

Either:

1. You're talking about frooble(), in which case it's supposed to do that.

or

2. You'll need to tell us what function it is, how you're using it and
what you think should happen.

My guess is that you're getting a null as the result and that's not
doing what you'd expect in your where clause.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: postgresql function not accepting null values inselect statement

От
johnf
Дата:
On Friday 22 February 2008 01:35:47 am Bart Degryse wrote:
> Can you try this...
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION getfunctionaries(p_statecd integer)
>   RETURNS SETOF t_functionaries AS
> $BODY$
> DECLARE
>   rec t_functionaries%ROWTYPE;
> BEGIN
>   FOR rec IN (
>     SELECT f.functionaryid, f.category, f.description
>     FROM functionaries f
>     WHERE f.statecd IS NOT DISTINCT FROM p_statecd)
>   LOOP
>     return next rec;
>   END LOOP;
>   return;
> END;
> $BODY$
> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

a newbie question.  Could you explain why yours works?  I don't understand how
it works if p_statecd = NULL

--
John Fabiani

Re: postgresql function not accepting null values inselect statement

От
"Jyoti Seth"
Дата:
I have tried this, but it is showing following error:
ERROR: syntax error at or near "DISTINCT"
SQL state: 42601

Thanks,
Jyoti

On Friday 22 February 2008 01:35:47 am Bart Degryse wrote:
> Can you try this...
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION getfunctionaries(p_statecd integer)
>   RETURNS SETOF t_functionaries AS
> $BODY$
> DECLARE
>   rec t_functionaries%ROWTYPE;
> BEGIN
>   FOR rec IN (
>     SELECT f.functionaryid, f.category, f.description
>     FROM functionaries f
>     WHERE f.statecd IS NOT DISTINCT FROM p_statecd)
>   LOOP
>     return next rec;
>   END LOOP;
>   return;
> END;
> $BODY$
> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

a newbie question.  Could you explain why yours works?  I don't understand
how
it works if p_statecd = NULL

--
John Fabiani

Re: postgresql function not accepting null values inselect statement

От
"Robins Tharakan"
Дата:
<a
href="http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-comparison.html">http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-comparison.html</a><br
A= B returns no rows<br />SELECT 1 WHERE A = C returns no rows (even though both A and C are NULL)<br /> SELECT 1 WHERE
AIS NOT DISTINCT FROM C returns 1 row.<br /><br />essentially the third SQL statement works because it is equivalent to
class="gmail_quote">OnFri, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:00 PM, johnf <<a
href="mailto:jfabiani@yolo.com">jfabiani@yolo.com</a>>wrote:<br /><blockquote class="gmail_quote"
style="border-left:1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><div class="Ih2E3d">On
REPLACEFUNCTION getfunctionaries(p_statecd integer)<br /> >   RETURNS SETOF t_functionaries AS<br /> > $BODY$<br
SELECTf.functionaryid, f.category, f.description<br /> >     FROM functionaries f<br /> >     WHERE f.statecd IS
question. Could you explain why yours works?  I don't understand how<br /> it works if p_statecd = NULL<br /><font
broadcast)---------------------------<br/> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings<br

Re: postgresql function not accepting null values inselect statement

От
"Robins Tharakan"
Дата:
What version of PostGreSQL are you using ?
Are you sure there was no typing error ? This SQL should work in the most recent version of PG.( at least version 8.1 onwards)

Robins

              http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: postgresql function not accepting null valuesinselect statement

От
"Bart Degryse"
Дата:
In the documentation "IS NOT DISTINCT FROM" only appears in version 8.2
The 8.0 and 8.1 documentation only mentions "IS DISTINCT FROM".
I haven't tried it, but probably replacing
     WHERE f.statecd IS NOT DISTINCT FROM p_statecd)
with
     WHERE not(f.statecd IS DISTINCT FROM p_statecd))
will do the same.