Обсуждение: can a insert with a returning clause be subquery ?

can a insert with a returning clause be subquery ?

От
chrisj
Дата:
I am trying to accomplish this:

update p2user.party set ADDR_KEY =   (insert into p2user.address ( street_no, street_name)                       values
('22','Geek St.')      returning addr_key )where party_key = 22 ;

But I am getting error:
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "into"
LINE 1: update p2user.party set ADDR_KEY = (insert into p2user.addre...
^(is actually under the

"into")

The insert by itself works fine and returns a valid integer.

I know I could do this easily with a stored proc,but it seems like an obvious use of the returning clause

Am I missing some syntax error

Re: can a insert with a returning clause be subquery ?

От
"Jonah H. Harris"
Дата:
On Feb 2, 2008 6:22 PM, chrisj <chrisj.wood@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> I know I could do this easily with a stored proc,
>  but it seems like an obvious use of the returning clause
>
> Am I missing some syntax error

Nope, you're not missing anything.  When I initially wrote this for
Postgres, it didn't support all cases; including the one you're
running into.  It's not extremely difficult to extend, but as there
are so few people asking for this functionality, no one has found it
important enough to warrant extension.  Perhaps I'll get to it for
8.4.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation                | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: can a insert with a returning clause be subquery ?

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On Saturday 02 February 2008 4:12 pm, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2008 6:22 PM, chrisj <chrisj.wood@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > I know I could do this easily with a stored proc,
> >  but it seems like an obvious use of the returning clause
> >
> > Am I missing some syntax error
>
> Nope, you're not missing anything.  When I initially wrote this for
> Postgres, it didn't support all cases; including the one you're
> running into.  It's not extremely difficult to extend, but as there
> are so few people asking for this functionality, no one has found it
> important enough to warrant extension.  Perhaps I'll get to it for
> 8.4.

Would this be a variation of this item from the TODO:

* Allow INSERT/UPDATE ... RETURNING inside a SELECT 'FROM' clause
 http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-09/msg00803.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-10/msg00693.php

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net

Re: can a insert with a returning clause be subquery ?

От
"Jonah H. Harris"
Дата:
On Feb 2, 2008 7:40 PM, Adrian Klaver <aklaver@comcast.net> wrote:
> Would this be a variation of this item from the TODO:
>
> * Allow INSERT/UPDATE ... RETURNING inside a SELECT 'FROM' clause

Exactly.