can a insert with a returning clause be subquery ?

От chrisj
Тема can a insert with a returning clause be subquery ?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
I am trying to accomplish this:

update p2user.party set ADDR_KEY =   (insert into p2user.address ( street_no, street_name)                       values
('22','Geek St.')      returning addr_key )where party_key = 22 ;

But I am getting error:
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "into"
LINE 1: update p2user.party set ADDR_KEY = (insert into p2user.addre...
^(is actually under the

"into")

The insert by itself works fine and returns a valid integer.

I know I could do this easily with a stored proc,but it seems like an obvious use of the returning clause

Am I missing some syntax error