Обсуждение: selecting random row values in postgres

selecting random row values in postgres

От
Sumeet
Дата:
scenariobelow to understand the problem here (the actual problem cannot be discussed here so i'm taking an example
foreach year_of_birth a random name.<br /><br />--> so i do a group by year_of_birth, now i have a set of names, is
there any function to select just one name from these set of names. <br />The current approach i'm using to solve this
thesingle string into an array <br />3) use postgresql random function to generate  a random number <br />4) us the
randomnumber to select a element from the array previously created.<br /><br clear="all" />The solution is there but

Re: selecting random row values in postgres

От
"Rajesh Kumar Mallah"
Дата:
/>>....see the scenario below to understand the problem here (the actual<br />> problem cannot be discussed here
/><brstyle="font-family: courier new,monospace;" /><span style="font-family: courier
new,monospace;">tradein_clients=>SELECT * from temp.test;</span><br style="font-family: courier new,monospace;"
/><spanstyle="font-family: courier new,monospace;">+----+------+-----+</span><br style="font-family: courier
new,monospace;"/><span style="font-family: courier new,monospace;">| id | name | yob |</span><br style="font-family:
couriernew,monospace;" /><span style="font-family: courier new,monospace;"> +----+------+-----+</span><br
style="font-family:courier new,monospace;" /><span style="font-family: courier new,monospace;">|  1 | A    |   2
|</span><brstyle="font-family: courier new,monospace;" /><span style="font-family: courier new,monospace;"> |  2 |
B    |  2 |</span><br style="font-family: courier new,monospace;" /><span style="font-family: courier
new,monospace;">|  3| C    |   2 |</span><br style="font-family: courier new,monospace;" /><span style="font-family:
couriernew,monospace;"> |  4 | D    |   1 |</span><br style="font-family: courier new,monospace;" /><span
style="font-family:courier new,monospace;">|  5 | E    |   1 |</span><br style="font-family: courier new,monospace;"
/><spanstyle="font-family: courier new,monospace;"> |  6 | F    |   1 |</span><br style="font-family: courier
new,monospace;"/><span style="font-family: courier new,monospace;">+----+------+-----+</span><br style="font-family:
couriernew,monospace;" /><span style="font-family: courier new,monospace;"> (6 rows)</span><br style="font-family:
couriernew,monospace;" /><br style="font-family: courier new,monospace;" /><span style="font-family: courier
new,monospace;">tradein_clients=>SELECT distinct on (yob) id,name,yob  from temp.test order by
yob,random();</span><brstyle="font-family: courier new,monospace;" /><span style="font-family: courier
new,monospace;">+----+------+-----+</span><brstyle="font-family: courier new,monospace;" /><span style="font-family:
couriernew,monospace;"> | id | name | yob |</span><br style="font-family: courier new,monospace;" /><span
style="font-family:courier new,monospace;">+----+------+-----+</span><br style="font-family: courier new,monospace;"
/><spanstyle="font-family: courier new,monospace;"> |  5 | E    |   1 |</span><br style="font-family: courier
new,monospace;"/><span style="font-family: courier new,monospace;">|  1 | A    |   2 |</span><br style="font-family:
couriernew,monospace;" /><span style="font-family: courier new,monospace;"> +----+------+-----+</span><br
style="font-family:courier new,monospace;" /><span style="font-family: courier new,monospace;">(2 rows)</span><br
[...]
style="font-family:courier new,monospace;" /><br style="font-family: courier new,monospace;" /><br style="font-family:
byyear_of_birth, now i have a set of names, is there <br />> any function to select just one name from these set of
ina single string using a custom function <br />> 'group_concat'<br />> 2) Convert the single string into an
array<br />> 3) use postgresql random function to generate  a random number <br />> 4) us the random number to
/>>Sumeet <br />

Re: selecting random row values in postgres

От
Sumeet
Дата:
Thanks Buddy, really appreciate ur help on this

....problem solved...

Is there any way this query can be optimized...i'm running it on a huge table with joins

- Sumeet

On 2/23/07, Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah.rajesh@gmail.com> wrote:

On 2/24/07, Sumeet <asumeet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to write  a query to select random values from a set of 'GROUP
> BY'
> ....see the scenario below to understand the problem here (the actual
> problem cannot be discussed here so i'm taking an example scenario)
>
> Assume there is a table
>
> id | name | year_of_birth
>
> query: I want  to select for each year_of_birth a random name.

Dear Sumeet

postgresql DISTINCT ON may be of help , but its not standard sql.

regds
mallah.

tradein_clients=> SELECT * from temp.test;
+----+------+-----+
| id | name | yob |
+----+------+-----+
|  1 | A    |   2 |
|  2 | B    |   2 |
|  3 | C    |   2 |
|  4 | D    |   1 |
|  5 | E    |   1 |
|  6 | F    |   1 |
+----+------+-----+
(6 rows)

tradein_clients=> SELECT distinct on (yob) id,name,yob  from temp.test order by yob,random();
+----+------+-----+
| id | name | yob |
+----+------+-----+
|  5 | E    |   1 |
|  1 | A    |   2 |
+----+------+-----+
(2 rows)

tradein_clients=> SELECT distinct on (yob) id,name,yob  from temp.test order by yob,random();
+----+------+-----+
| id | name | yob |
+----+------+-----+
|  4 | D    |   1 |
|  1 | A    |   2 |
+----+------+-----+
(2 rows)

> --> so i do a group by year_of_birth, now i have a set of names, is there
> any function to select just one name from these set of names.
> The current approach i'm using to solve this problem is
>
> 1) getting these names in a single string using a custom function
> 'group_concat'
> 2) Convert the single string into an array
> 3) use postgresql random function to generate  a random number
> 4) us the random number to select a element from the array previously
> created.
>
> The solution is there but it's kinda hack, is there any other better way of
> solving this problem.
>

> Thanks,
> Sumeet

Sumeet Ambre
Master of Information Science Candidate,
Indiana University.