Re: selecting random row values in postgres

От Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Тема Re: selecting random row values in postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-sql

On 2/24/07, Sumeet <asumeet@gmail.com> wrote:
got it....I just figured out that i dont need the ORDER BY clause even the first row selected by the 'DISTINCT ON' would solve the problem.

Dear Sumeet,

if order by is not done there is no certainty  about which  row gets
selected. usually same row keeps getting selected. but if you want
a really random rows to come  order by is required.

if you need certainty about the particular row being selected
order by a non random() column is required.

regds
mallah.

Thanks for all you help
-Sumeet.