Обсуждение: Interval subtracting

Interval subtracting

От
Milorad Poluga
Дата:
Hi all,

Is there something incorrect in the above query ?
SELECT '10 years 1 mons 1 days'::interval - '9 years 10 mons 15 days'::interval
?column?        --------------- 3 mons -14 days

Why not '2 mons  16 days' ?

/version =  PostgreSQL 8.0.4 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3) /

Thanks a lot,
Milorad Poluga
-------------------------------
milorad.poluga@cores.co.yu

Re: Interval subtracting

От
"Milen A. Radev"
Дата:
Milorad Poluga написа:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there something incorrect in the above query ?
> SELECT '10 years 1 mons 1 days'::interval - '9 years 10 mons 15 days'::interval
>
>  ?column?
>  ---------------
>  3 mons -14 days
>
> Why not '2 mons  16 days' ?
>
> /version =  PostgreSQL 8.0.4 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3) /

How many days are there in a month?

--
Milen A. Radev

Re: Interval subtracting

От
Milorad Poluga
Дата:
On Saturday 18 February 2006 15:24, Milen A. Radev wrote:
> Milorad Poluga написа:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is there something incorrect in the above query ?
> > SELECT '10 years 1 mons 1 days'::interval - '9 years 10 mons 15 days'::interval
> >
> >  ?column?
> >  ---------------
> >  3 mons -14 days
> >
> > Why not '2 mons  16 days' ?
> >
> > /version =  PostgreSQL 8.0.4 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3) /
>

> How many days are there in a month?

I beleive that a month is calculated on the 30-days base.

One way to solve this problem is to use a neutal date element and make timestamps :

SELECT age(('1990-01-01'::date + '10 years 1 mons 1 days'::interval)::timestamp ,    ('1990-01-01'::date + '9 years 10
mons15 days'::interval)::timestamp)
age            -------------- 2 mons 16 days

Regards,
Milorad Poluga

---------------------------------------
milorad.poluga@cores.co.yu
---------------------------------------

Re: Interval subtracting

От
"Milen A. Radev"
Дата:
Milorad Poluga написа:

/

>> How many days are there in a month?
>>

> I beleive that a month is calculated on the 30-days base.

Are you sure? Where?

> One way to solve this problem is to use a neutal date element and make timestamps :
>
> SELECT age(('1990-01-01'::date + '10 years 1 mons 1 days'::interval)::timestamp ,
>      ('1990-01-01'::date + '9 years 10 mons 15 days'::interval)::timestamp)
>
>  age
>  --------------
>  2 mons 16 days

Please read the last paragraph in section 8.5.1.4 of the manual
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/datatype-datetime.html#AEN4775)
. It mentions the functions named "justify_days" and "justify_hours"
that could do what you need.

--
Milen A. Radev

Re: Interval subtracting

Дата:
"Milen A. Radev" <milen@radev.net> writes:
> Milorad Poluga написа:
>>> SELECT '10 years 1 mons 1 days'::interval - '9 years 10 mons 15 days'::interval
>>> ?column?
>>> ---------------
>>> 3 mons -14 days
>>>
>>> Why not '2 mons  16 days' ?

> Please read the last paragraph in section 8.5.1.4 of the manual
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/datatype-datetime.html#AEN4775)
> . It mentions the functions named "justify_days" and "justify_hours"
> that could do what you need.

justify_days doesn't currently do anything with this result --- it
thinks its charter is only to reduce day components that are >= 30 days.
However, I think a good case could be made that it should normalize
negative days too; that is, the invariant on its result should be
0 <= days < 30, not merely days < 30.  Similarly for justify_hours.
Comments anyone?  Patch anyone?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Interval subtracting

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Milen A. Radev" <milen@radev.net> writes:
> > Milorad Poluga написа:

> > Please read the last paragraph in section 8.5.1.4 of the manual
> > (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/datatype-datetime.html#AEN4775)
> > . It mentions the functions named "justify_days" and "justify_hours"
> > that could do what you need.
>
> justify_days doesn't currently do anything with this result --- it
> thinks its charter is only to reduce day components that are >= 30 days.
> However, I think a good case could be made that it should normalize
> negative days too; that is, the invariant on its result should be
> 0 <= days < 30, not merely days < 30.

What about cases like interval '1 month -99 days', should that turn into
interval '-3 mons +21 days' or '-2 mons -9 days'?

Re: Interval subtracting

От
Milorad Poluga
Дата:
Thank you all for suggestions and links.
Currently, I am working on  PostgreSQL 8.0.4., so I cannot use justify_*() functions.

Regards,
Milorad Poluga

milorad.poluga@cores.co.yu

Re: Interval subtracting

Дата:
Stephan Szabo wrote:
> > justify_days doesn't currently do anything with this result --- it
> > thinks its charter is only to reduce day components that are >= 30 days.
> > However, I think a good case could be made that it should normalize
> > negative days too; that is, the invariant on its result should be
> > 0 <= days < 30, not merely days < 30.
>
> What about cases like interval '1 month -99 days', should that turn into
> interval '-3 mons +21 days' or '-2 mons -9 days'?

I think it should be the later.  It is best to have a single sign, and I
think it is possible in all cases:
'2 mons -1 days'

could be adjusted to '1 mons 29 days'.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com

Re: Interval subtracting

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 14:18, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Stephan Szabo wrote:
> > > justify_days doesn't currently do anything with this result --- it
> > > thinks its charter is only to reduce day components that are >= 30 days.
> > > However, I think a good case could be made that it should normalize
> > > negative days too; that is, the invariant on its result should be
> > > 0 <= days < 30, not merely days < 30.
> >
> > What about cases like interval '1 month -99 days', should that turn into
> > interval '-3 mons +21 days' or '-2 mons -9 days'?
>
> I think it should be the later.  It is best to have a single sign, and I
> think it is possible in all cases:
>
>     '2 mons -1 days'
>
> could be adjusted to '1 mons 29 days'.

There's a part of me that thinks the WHOLE THING should be positive or
negative:

-(2 months 1 day)

Re: [HACKERS] Interval subtracting

Дата:
Scott Marlowe wrote:

> > > What about cases like interval '1 month -99 days', should that turn into
> > > interval '-3 mons +21 days' or '-2 mons -9 days'?
> >
> > I think it should be the later.  It is best to have a single sign, and I
> > think it is possible in all cases:
> >
> >     '2 mons -1 days'
> >
> > could be adjusted to '1 mons 29 days'.
>
> There's a part of me that thinks the WHOLE THING should be positive or
> negative:
>
> -(2 months 1 day)

But it isn't '-2 months, -1 day'.  I think what you are saying is what I
am saying, that we should make the signs consistent.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com

Re: [HACKERS] Interval subtracting

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Ühel kenal päeval, K, 2006-03-01 kell 15:18, kirjutas Bruce Momjian:
> > >
> > > What about cases like interval '1 month -99 days', should that turn into
> > > interval '-3 mons +21 days' or '-2 mons -9 days'?
> >
> > I think it should be the later.  It is best to have a single sign, and I
> > think it is possible in all cases:
> >
> >     '2 mons -1 days'
> >
> > could be adjusted to '1 mons 29 days'.
>
> But unfortunately '2 mons -1 days' <> '1 mons 29 days'
>
> If I want something to happen 1 day less than two months from dome date,
> then the only way to say that consistently *is* '2 mons -1 days'.

Right, but would you call justify_days on such an interval?  '2 months -1
days' <> '1 mon 29 days', but '1 mon 60 days' is also <> '3 mons' in
general usage.

Re: [HACKERS] Interval subtracting

Дата:
Hannu Krosing <hannu@skype.net> writes:
> But unfortunately '2 mons -1 days' <> '1 mons 29 days'
> If I want something to happen 1 day less than two months from dome date,
> then the only way to say that consistently *is* '2 mons -1 days'.

Sure, but if you want to represent that then you don't pass the value
through justify_days().  The entire premise of justify_days() is that
1 month is interchangeable with 30 days and we should try to make the
value "look nice" given that assumption.

I think everyone's independently arrived at the same thought that
justify_days should not produce a result with different signs for month
and day (except for the case with month = 0, per my last message).
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Interval subtracting

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 14:27, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:

> > > I think it should be the later.  It is best to have a single sign, and I
> > > think it is possible in all cases:
> > >
> > >     '2 mons -1 days'
> > >
> > > could be adjusted to '1 mons 29 days'.
> >
> > There's a part of me that thinks the WHOLE THING should be positive or
> > negative:
> >
> > -(2 months 1 day)
>
> But it isn't '-2 months, -1 day'.  I think what you are saying is what I
> am saying, that we should make the signs consistent.

Pretty much.  It just seems wrong to have different signs in what is
essentially a single unit.

We don't say 42 degrees, -12 minutes when measuring arc, do we?  Then
again, maybe some folks do.  It just seems wrong to me.

Re: [HACKERS] Interval subtracting

От
Markus Schaber
Дата:
Hi, Scott,

Scott Marlowe wrote:

>>But it isn't '-2 months, -1 day'.  I think what you are saying is what I
>>am saying, that we should make the signs consistent.
> Pretty much.  It just seems wrong to have different signs in what is
> essentially a single unit.
>
> We don't say 42 degrees, -12 minutes when measuring arc, do we?  Then
> again, maybe some folks do.  It just seems wrong to me.

But we say "quarter to twelve", at least in some areas on this planet.

The problem is that months have different lengths. '2 months - 1 day'
can be '1 month 27 days', '1 month 28 days', '1 month 29 days' or '1
month 30 days', depending on the timestamp we apply the interval.

Markus

Re: [HACKERS] Interval subtracting

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 06:07, Markus Schaber wrote:
> Hi, Scott,
>
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>
> >>But it isn't '-2 months, -1 day'.  I think what you are saying is what I
> >>am saying, that we should make the signs consistent.
> > Pretty much.  It just seems wrong to have different signs in what is
> > essentially a single unit.
> >
> > We don't say 42 degrees, -12 minutes when measuring arc, do we?  Then
> > again, maybe some folks do.  It just seems wrong to me.
>
> But we say "quarter to twelve", at least in some areas on this planet.
>
> The problem is that months have different lengths. '2 months - 1 day'
> can be '1 month 27 days', '1 month 28 days', '1 month 29 days' or '1
> month 30 days', depending on the timestamp we apply the interval.

I made this point before.  In the military they say 1145 or 2345 instead
of quarter to twelve, because 1: there are two "quarter to twelves" a
day, and 2: It's easy to get it confused.

For same reasons, i.e. a need for precision, I find it hard to accept
the idea of mixing positive and negative units in the same interval.
The plus or minus sign should be outside of the interval.

Then, it's quite certain what you mean.  If you say

select '2006-06-12'::date - interval '1 month 2 days'

there is no ambiguity.  If you say:

select '2006-06-12'::date + interval '-1 month -2 days'

do you mean (1 month - 2 days) subtracted from the date, or
do you mean to subtract 1 month, then 2 days from the date?

Putting the + or - outside the interval seems to make the most sense to
me.  Allowing them inside makes no sense to me.  And colloquialisms
aren't really a good reason.  :)

Re: [HACKERS] Interval subtracting

Дата:
Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> writes:
> For same reasons, i.e. a need for precision, I find it hard to accept
> the idea of mixing positive and negative units in the same interval.

The semantics are perfectly well defined, so I don't buy this.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Interval subtracting

От
PFC
Дата:
> For same reasons, i.e. a need for precision, I find it hard to accept
> the idea of mixing positive and negative units in the same interval.
> The plus or minus sign should be outside of the interval.
The interval data type is really useful. I see no reason to restrict its
usefulness with an arbitrary constraint. Date arithmetic is treacherous
and INTERVAL is a lifesaver.
Forcing a global sign on the interval would break interval arithmetic.How would you compute '1 month'::interval - '1
week'::interval?