Обсуждение: SQL subqueries newbie help

SQL subqueries newbie help

От
Alexei Chetroi
Дата:
Hi All,
I need a little help regarding writing some subqueries. For example I
have a table "items" which contains columns: itemid, description; and
another table "events" with columns: itemid, date, event. events.itemid
references items.itemid. Table events contains events regarding some
itemid's from table items, so there could be multiple events regarding
one item from items table. for example:

Table: items
itemid    description
1         Lamp
2         Desk
3         HiFi

Table: events
itemid    event        date
1         purchase     2003-01-01
1         repair       2003-01-03
1         repair       2003-02-05
2         purchase     2003-02-01
3         HiFi         2003-02-01
I'd like to write a query which returns following information regarding
each item: item, date of very first event, very last event.Is this possible? I think I can write several SELECT queries
and
procces them by an application or possibly write some procedure, but
what is better solution?

PS: are there any books regarding complex SQL queries in electronic
format?

Re: SQL subqueries newbie help

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 14:07:09 +0300, Alexei Chetroi <lexoid@lexa.uniflux-line.net> wrote:
>  Hi All,
>
>  I need a little help regarding writing some subqueries. For example I
> have a table "items" which contains columns: itemid, description; and
> another table "events" with columns: itemid, date, event. events.itemid
> references items.itemid. Table events contains events regarding some
> itemid's from table items, so there could be multiple events regarding
> one item from items table. for example:
>
> Table: items
> itemid    description
> 1         Lamp
> 2         Desk
> 3         HiFi
>
> Table: events
> itemid    event        date
> 1         purchase     2003-01-01
> 1         repair       2003-01-03
> 1         repair       2003-02-05
> 2         purchase     2003-02-01
> 3         HiFi         2003-02-01
>
>  I'd like to write a query which returns following information regarding
> each item: item, date of very first event, very last event.
>  Is this possible? I think I can write several SELECT queries and
> procces them by an application or possibly write some procedure, but
> what is better solution?

You can use group by to do this. If there were a large amount of events per
item, you might get better performance by using disctinct on and limit
in subqueries to get the max and min. That doesn't seem likely for this
problem. Distinct on would also be useful if you want to get the event
with the first and last dates.

The query you want looks something like this:
select description, min(date), max(date) from items, events where items.itemid = events.itemid group by description;

Re: SQL subqueries newbie help

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
>  I'd like to write a query which returns following information regarding
> each item: item, date of very first event, very last event.
>  Is this possible? I think I can write several SELECT queries and
> procces them by an application or possibly write some procedure, but
> what is better solution?

Something like the below should do it:

SELECT item    , min_date    , min_event    , max_date    , max_event FROM items JOIN (SELECT min(date) AS min_date
      , event AS min_event            , item         FROM events     GROUP BY item) AS mn USING (item) JOIN (SELECT
max(date)AS max_date            , event AS max_event            , item         FROM events     GROUP BY item) AS mx
USING(item);

Re: SQL subqueries newbie help

От
Alexei Chetroi
Дата:
On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 01:21:36PM -0400, Rod Taylor wrote:
> >  I'd like to write a query which returns following information regarding
> > each item: item, date of very first event, very last event.
> >  Is this possible? I think I can write several SELECT queries and
> > procces them by an application or possibly write some procedure, but
> > what is better solution?
>
> Something like the below should do it:
>
> SELECT item
>      , min_date
>      , min_event
>      , max_date
>      , max_event
>   FROM items
>   JOIN (SELECT min(date) AS min_date
>              , event AS min_event
>              , item
>           FROM events
>       GROUP BY item) AS mn USING (item)
[skip]
Thanks everybody for responses. I'm trying this one, but psql complains
on queries like "SELECT min(date), event FROM events GROUP BY item" that
events must be GROUPed or used in an aggregate function. Why this
happens and why it needs be so?

Re: SQL subqueries newbie help

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 07:42, Alexei Chetroi wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 01:21:36PM -0400, Rod Taylor wrote:
> > >  I'd like to write a query which returns following information regarding
> > > each item: item, date of very first event, very last event.
> > >  Is this possible? I think I can write several SELECT queries and
> > > procces them by an application or possibly write some procedure, but
> > > what is better solution?
> >
> > Something like the below should do it:
> >
> > SELECT item
> >      , min_date
> >      , min_event
> >      , max_date
> >      , max_event
> >   FROM items
> >   JOIN (SELECT min(date) AS min_date
> >              , event AS min_event
> >              , item
> >           FROM events
> >       GROUP BY item) AS mn USING (item)
> [skip]
>
>  Thanks everybody for responses. I'm trying this one, but psql complains
> on queries like "SELECT min(date), event FROM events GROUP BY item" that
> events must be GROUPed or used in an aggregate function. Why this
> happens and why it needs be so?

Oh yeah, sorry.  It needs to be like that because otherwise it is unsure
what value to use for event.  What you really want is a min function
that runs a min on date, and returns the appropriate event -- which
doesn't exist, but I believe could be created (see docs on Creating an
Aggregate function if interested)

In the mean time, find the event based on the dates and item id.  This
does assume that an item may only have one event per date.

SELECT item    , min_date    , (SELECT event         FROM events        WHERE date = min_date          AND item =
items.item)   , max_date    , (SELECT event         FROM events        WHERE date = max_date          AND item =
items.item)FROM items JOIN (SELECT min(date) AS min_date            , max(date) AS max_date            , item
FROMevents     GROUP BY item) AS ev USING (item)

Re: SQL subqueries newbie help

От
Alexei Chetroi
Дата:
On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 09:09:35AM -0400, Rod Taylor wrote:> [skip]

> >  Thanks everybody for responses. I'm trying this one, but psql complains
> > on queries like "SELECT min(date), event FROM events GROUP BY item" that
> > events must be GROUPed or used in an aggregate function. Why this
> > happens and why it needs be so?
>
> Oh yeah, sorry.  It needs to be like that because otherwise it is unsure
> what value to use for event.  What you really want is a min functionI found it later. It's called vector aggregates

> that runs a min on date, and returns the appropriate event -- which
> doesn't exist, but I believe could be created (see docs on Creating an
> Aggregate function if interested)
>
> In the mean time, find the event based on the dates and item id.  This
> does assume that an item may only have one event per date.
 I can use timestamp instead of date. Generally I see there more than
one way to do it. I'm thinking of writing for example to functions which
returns one row for the very first/last event based on item id.
Currently I've achieved what I need using temporary tables, but I don't
like it much. It seems to bee to ugle. Here what I did:

SELECT   date,   event,   item   INTO TEMPORARY TABLE firstevent   FROM events   WHERE date IN (SELECT min(date) FROM
eventsGROUP BY item);

SELECT   date,   event,   item   INTO TEMPORARY TABLE lastevent   FROM events   WHERE date IN (SELECT max(date) FROM
eventsGROUP BY item);

SELECT   item,   f.date,   f.event,   l.date,   l.event   FROM items AS i   JOIN firstrot AS f USING(item)   JOIN
lastrotAS l USING(item);

 I know I may use subselects instead of temporary tables in last query,
but I don't know what performance impact I may face.
 Or should I add additional fields to items table and write a trigger
procedure on events which updates these fields, or keep a two separate
tables for the first/last event of each item and a trigger to update
this tables on events change. I'm just learning and doubting about correct approach. Currently I'm
considering writing a procedures which return row of the first/last
event using item as key.

Re: SQL subqueries newbie help

Дата:
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca> writes:
> Oh yeah, sorry.  It needs to be like that because otherwise it is unsure
> what value to use for event.  What you really want is a min function
> that runs a min on date, and returns the appropriate event -- which
> doesn't exist, but I believe could be created

SELECT DISTINCT ON might provide a simpler solution to that requirement.
Check out the "weather reports" example in the SELECT reference page.
        regards, tom lane