Обсуждение: Problem on PostgreSQL (error code, store procedures)

Problem on PostgreSQL (error code, store procedures)

От
Carmen Wai
Дата:
Hello,

I would like to know if there are any global variables
storing the error code or the number of rows affected
after each execution of the SQL statement.

Also, for Postgresql function, I have checked that I
can only call the function by: select function(parms)
or by EXECUTE PROCEDURE function(parms) in the trigger
action. I wonder whether there is any other method for
calling the function which is similar to the stored
procedures in the MS SQL server?

Thank a lot!
Carmen

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Re: Problem on PostgreSQL (error code, store procedures)

От
Christoph Haller

> I would like to know if there are any global variables
> storing the error code or the number of rows affected
> after each execution of the SQL statement.

You did not mention which interface you are using.
In C there are functions available like extern const char *PQcmdTuples(PGresult *res);to learn about the rows affected
orextern int    PQntuples(PGresult *res);to learn about the number of rows found (SELECT) or extern ExecStatusType
PQresultStatus(PGresult*res);to learn about the status of the SQL command.

Unfortunately, there are no error codes at all.
In PL/pgSQL (which I do not use) I've found GET DIAGNOSTICS variable = ROW_COUNT ; refer to plpgsql-statements.html

> Also, for Postgresql function, I have checked that I
> can only call the function by: select function(parms)
> or by EXECUTE PROCEDURE function(parms) in the trigger
> action. I wonder whether there is any other method for
> calling the function which is similar to the stored
> procedures in the MS SQL server?

I'm afraid NO.

Regards, Christoph