Обсуждение: Using LASTOID in one query

Using LASTOID in one query

От
Eckhard Hoeffner
Дата:
Is there a possibility to use the last OID from PHP within one
query? I have two tables like the following:

table_a:
number1 serial PRIMARY KEY
a_text text

table_b:
number1 integer REFERENCES table_a,
b_text text

I am retrieving data like
a_text = something
b_text = something else

With psql I would do the following:
BEGIN;
INSERT INTO table_a (a_text) VALUES ('something');
INSERT 224490 1
SELECT number1 FROM table_a WHERE oid = 224490;number1 -------  9
(1 row)
INSERT INTO table_b (number1, b_text) VALUES (9, 'something else');
INSERT 224491 1;
COMMIT;

If I am using php, the only solution I know is:
1. make the first INSERT, execute it
2. get the last oid and make the next query, execute it
3. make the second INSERT

This are 3 queries and I can not do it within a transaction.

--
--//--\\--
Eckhard Hoeffner

Re: Using LASTOID in one query

От
"Joel Burton"
Дата:
If you're using SERIAL for the table_a primary key, you don't need to use
the OID, just use the sequence information.

INSERT INTO Table_A (a_text) VALUES ('hello');
INSERT INTO Table_B (number1, b_text) VALUES
(currval('Table_A_number1_seq'), 'there');

Faster, easier, works in a transaction, and not PHP-specific.

See the system docs on currval(), nextval(), and setval().

- J.

Joel BURTON | joel@joelburton.com | joelburton.com | aim: wjoelburton
Knowledge Management & Technology Consultant

Masaru Sugawara
Дата:
On Mon, 20 May 2002 16:08:36 +0200
Eckhard Hoeffner <e-hoeffner@fifoost.org> wrote:

> Is there a possibility to use the last OID from PHP within one
> query? I have two tables like the following:

You might find something interesting here.

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?plpgsql-statements.html
23.5.5. Obtaining result status

Regards,
Masaru Sugawara

Re: Using LASTOID in one query

От
Eckhard Hoeffner
Дата:
* Masaru Sugawara <rk73@sea.plala.or.jp> [20 05 02 17:31]:

>On Mon, 20 May 2002 16:08:36 +0200
>Eckhard Hoeffner <e-hoeffner@fifoost.org> wrote:
>
>> Is there a possibility to use the last OID from PHP within one
>> query? I have two tables like the following:
>
>You might find something interesting here.
>
>http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?plpgsql-statements.html
>23.5.5. Obtaining result status

Thanks, but Joel already gave me a very good hint for my question.

--
Eckhard Hoeffner