Обсуждение: Changing PL/pgSQL triggers

Changing PL/pgSQL triggers

От
"James Orr"
Дата:
Hi,

What's the easiest way to modify or view a function written in PL/pgSQL?  I've been using pg_dump to get the original function, then dropping and creating the function and trigger after making a change.  Is there an easier way?

-James

Re: Changing PL/pgSQL triggers

От
Roberto Mello
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 01:30:39PM -0400, James Orr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's the easiest way to modify or view a function written in PL/pgSQL?  I've been using pg_dump to get the original
function,then dropping and creating the function and trigger after making a change.  Is there an easier way?

pgAcess should make it easier. It lets you look at the definition and
lets you modify/drop/recreate it.If you're on windows, you might want to look a pgAdmin (available at
greatbridge.org).
-Roberto
--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+ Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU -
http://www.brasileiro.net      http://www.sdl.usu.edu - Space Dynamics Lab, Developer

*>  -    |               <- Tribble Archery

Re: Changing PL/pgSQL triggers

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
James,

> What's the easiest way to modify or view a function written in
> PL/pgSQL?  I've been using pg_dump to get the original function, then
> dropping and creating the function and trigger after making a change.
> Is there an easier way?

Well, if you're on Win32 or on Linux, you can install PGAccess (link
from postgresql.org).  PGAccess has an OK function editor, although it
doesn't support cut-and-paste on Xwindows and I've found a few bugs with
large and complex functions.

Me, I write lots and lots of PL/pgSQL functions.  I've found the easiest
way to be (I'm on SuSE 7.0/KDE2.1):

1. Create text file, and write and edit function in KEdit.

2. Save text file.

3. Load function using \i in PSQL.

4. Test function.  FInd bug(s).

5. Re-edit function using Kedit.  Add DROP FUNCTION command at
beginning.

6. Re-load function using \i in PSQL.

7. Repeat from 4 until function is debugged.

It sounds like a lot of steps, but really it goes quickly.  Plus it
allows you to save lots of intermediate versions of functions.

-Josh

Re: Changing PL/pgSQL triggers

От
Kristoff Bonne
Дата:
Greetings,

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> What's the easiest way to modify or view a function written in
>> PL/pgSQL?  I've been using pg_dump to get the original function, then
>> dropping and creating the function and trigger after making a change.
>> Is there an easier way?

> Well, if you're on Win32 or on Linux, you can install PGAccess (link
> from postgresql.org).  PGAccess has an OK function editor, although it
> doesn't support cut-and-paste on Xwindows and I've found a few bugs with
> large and complex functions.

One if the 'features' missing in PGAccess (at least, on the version found
in the 'ports-tree' of FreeBSD 4.1) is a simple 'save-without-quit'
function.
When you're editing a function; and you do save, the windows closes.

So, you do some debugging, you find a bug; and you need to re-open the
function.
Usually (on my workstation), the windows pops up at the wrong place of the
screen; and I usually need to do some 'resizing' to get the window in the
shape I like.

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne
--
KB905-RIPE                                       Belgacom  IP networking
(c=be,a=rtt,p=belgacomgroup,s=Bonne,g=Kristoff)  Internet, IP and IP/VPN

Re: Changing PL/pgSQL triggers

От
"Alain Lavigne"
Дата:
pgAdmin does not let you modify the pl/pgsql triggers.  I use PowerDesigner
7.5 to manage Postgresql physical data models and I edit all pl/pgsql
triggers and functions through that tool.  It's not free but it's the only
one I know that I can Design and Generate Databases ranging from DB2 and
Oracle to Postgresql and MySQL.

Other than that, a simple text editor would do for triggers.

""James Orr"" <james@lrgmail.com> wrote in message

> ------=_NextPart_000_004A_01C0FA56.5C956540

> What's the easiest way to modify or view a function written in PL/pgSQL?
I=
> 've been using pg_dump to get the original function, then dropping and
crea=
> ting the function and trigger after making a change.  Is there an easier
wa=
> y?
>
> -James
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_004A_01C0FA56.5C956540

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;
charset=3Diso-8859-1">