Обсуждение: why the DB file size does not reduce when 'delete' the data in DB?

why the DB file size does not reduce when 'delete' the data in DB?

От
"Jaruwan Laongmal"
Дата:
I had deleted a very large number of records out of my SQL table in order to
decrease the harddisk space.  But after I use command 'ls -l
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/', it is found that the size of concerning files
do not reduce due to the effect of 'delete' SQL command.  What should I do
if I would like to decrease the harddisk space?

I am looking forward to your response.  Thank you very much for any help.
-
Jaruwan

Re: [HACKERS] why the DB file size does not reduce when 'delete' the data in DB?

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
Jaruwan Laongmal wrote:

> I had deleted a very large number of records out of my SQL table in order to
> decrease the harddisk space.  But after I use command 'ls -l
> /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/', it is found that the size of concerning files
> do not reduce due to the effect of 'delete' SQL command.  What should I do
> if I would like to decrease the harddisk space?

Run the command VACUUM;

This will do the actual removal of deleted records. DELETE just marks
them as deleted

> I am looking forward to your response.  Thank you very much for any help.
> -
> Jaruwan

Re: [HACKERS] why the DB file size does not reduce when 'delete' the data in DB?

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> I had deleted a very large number of records out of my SQL table in order to
> decrease the harddisk space.  But after I use command 'ls -l
> /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/', it is found that the size of concerning files
> do not reduce due to the effect of 'delete' SQL command.  What should I do
> if I would like to decrease the harddisk space?

Run "vacuum" from SQL or "vacuumdb" from the command line. Tables will
be reduced in size, though currently indices are not.
                       - Thomas