Обсуждение: is this possible, maybe a todo ? function related

is this possible, maybe a todo ? function related

От
Clayton Cottingham
Дата:
i was wondering if there is any support
for handling perl and or java in a function?

i just know these languages better than c!

so it seems the versatility would be good improvement, not that function
isnt veratile already!

if not does anyone have the ability to make a shared lib that could call
a perl script or java class as an arg
or maybe just a unix command inside the function?

such as

foo($dbvar, "/path/to/perl/script')

would hand the db to the perl script

or something to that effect

im new to the function stuff it seems very well thought out

thanks!

Re: [SQL] is this possible, maybe a todo ? function related

От
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Дата:
On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Clayton Cottingham wrote:

> i was wondering if there is any support
> for handling perl and or java in a function?

There was some discussion about this several months ago.  I got the
impression it would be worked on.  When?  Still I like the idea of
performance and compliance improvements more than I want the ablility to
write functions in perl.

BUT...

Vote number two for the todo list!!!  Wish I was a good enough C
programmer to help on this.

Rod
--
Roderick A. Anderson
raanders@altoplanos.net               Altoplanos Information Systems, Inc.

Re: [SQL] is this possible, maybe a todo ? function related

От
Zalman Stern
Дата:
I thought someone was already working on making a Perl available as a
language within Postgres. If not, I'm willing to give it a shot.

-Z-

Re: [SQL] is this possible, maybe a todo ? function related

От
Clayton Cottingham
Дата:
Zalman Stern wrote:

> I thought someone was already working on making a Perl available as a
> language within Postgres. If not, I'm willing to give it a shot.
>
> -Z-
>
> ************

the way i look at it the function is likened to theapache's modules

its what make postgresql great!
the ability to add modules/functions to a db!
used with an sql trigger this is dangerous!
in the screaming power sense!

Z,

send me anything you got to test!
im gonna be installing linux stampede sometime this weekend
{they have postgres in autobuild yah know!}

as soon as that happens ill be ready to freak out any patches you send
my way!

ttfn