Обсуждение: cursor results count

cursor results count

От
Sergei Barbarash
Дата:
Hello,

I need to retrieve one random tuple from a big set of tuples returned by a
certain query. So my question is:

How can I find out the number of tuples returned by cursor, without actually
FETCHing ALL? (So I can MOVE then to that location and just FETCH 1).

Thanks,

-- Sergei

Multiple table selection.

От
Colin Dick
Дата:
Hi,
    I am new to the more complex SQL statements and I am having
trouble creating the statement I need.

    I have two tables:

table a            table b
-------                 -------
idnum (unique)        idnum (unique)
firstname        phone
lastname        fax

I want to be able to search the table for any value (sometimes multiple
values) and bring back all the information for all tables with the same
idnum. Would a query similar to the following do it.

select a.idnum, a.firstname, a.lastname, b.phone from a, b where
a.firstname='bob' and b.fax='123-4567' and (a.idnum=b.idnum);

Does that statement make sense?  Or can someone make a suggestion to help
me acclomplish the task.  Thadvanceanks...

--
Colin Dick
On Call Internet Services