Обсуждение: where is the postmaster executable in the win nt distribution ?

where is the postmaster executable in the win nt distribution ?

От
Christian Thrum
Дата:
hi all,

i'm trying to get postgresql 7.0 running. the manual says that i have to
start the postmaster
process first. but in my bin directory there is no postmaster executable or
script!
(do i have to compile it myself?)

i use the binary version : postgresql-7.0-nt-binaries.tar.gz

thanks for help,

christian thrum

Re: where is the postmaster executable in the win nt distribution ?

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Christian,

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 03:23:20PM +0100, Christian Thrum wrote:
> i'm trying to get postgresql 7.0 running. the manual says that i have to
> start the postmaster
> process first. but in my bin directory there is no postmaster executable or
> script!

postmaster is a symlink to postgres.  Under Cygwin, you should have the
following:

    $ ls -l /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster
    lrw-r--r--   1 jt       Domain U       23 Dec 28 12:33 /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -> postgres.exe

> (do i have to compile it myself?)

You should probably build all of PostgreSQL yourself.  While you are at
it, I suggest using 7.1beta5 or later (i.e., CVS) since they work better
under Cygwin.

> i use the binary version : postgresql-7.0-nt-binaries.tar.gz

What is the above?  That is, from where did you get it?

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

Re: where is the postmaster executable in the win nt distribution ?

От
Fred Yankowski
Дата:
Christian,

If you get to the point where you run PostgreSQL/postmaster as an NT
service via the 'srvany' or 'invoker' wrappers, you'll have to copy
postgres.exe to postmaster.exe rather than using a symlink.  That's
because the wrappers don't understand Cygwin symlinks, and the
executable has to be named 'postmaster' for it to start up in that
mode.  A hard link in NTFS might work, but I haven't tried it.

--
Fred Yankowski           fred@OntoSys.com      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370

Re: where is the postmaster executable in the win nt distribution ?

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Christian,

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 10:26:44PM +0100, Christian Thrum wrote:
> can i use cygwin-gcc to build postgresql?

Yes, PostgreSQL 7.1beta4 or later builds OOTB under Cygwin.  It is as
simple as configure, make, make install.

You may find the following helpful although it is a little out of date:

    http://people.freebsd.org/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html

> > > i use the binary version : postgresql-7.0-nt-binaries.tar.gz
> >
> > What is the above?  That is, from where did you get it?
>
> ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v7.0/NT/
>
> i guess that the archive contained the symlinks, but winzip didn't show them....

Do *not* use WinZip to untar because it will not preserve symlinks.
Note that this a general Cygwin recommendation and is not specific to
PostgreSQL.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com

Re: where is the postmaster executable in the win nt distribution ?

От
Christian Thrum
Дата: