Обсуждение: Help me

Help me

От
"Tran Anh Tu"
Дата:
Hi all!
I have installed Mandrake 9.0. and postgresql is installed automatically.
When I start postgresql by the command:
postmaster -i
have a error message:

The server must be started under an unprivileged user id to prevent
a possible system security compromise.  See the documentation for
more information on how to properly start the server.

With Mandrake 8.0, I do nothing to config postgresql. So what I can do to
config it now? Please help me! thank you very much.
Tran Anh Tu
Vien CNTT - DHQG Ha Noi
Phone: 047680417-25   Email trantu@vnu.edu.vn

Re: Help me

От
Martin Marques
Дата:
El Jue 11 Sep 2003 07:22, Tran Anh Tu escribió:
> Hi all!
> I have installed Mandrake 9.0. and postgresql is installed automatically.
> When I start postgresql by the command:
> postmaster -i
> have a error message:
>
> The server must be started under an unprivileged user id to prevent
> a possible system security compromise.  See the documentation for
> more information on how to properly start the server.

How about executing:

# /etc/init.d/postgresql start

What happens then?

--
Porqué usar una base de datos relacional cualquiera,
si podés usar PostgreSQL?

Re: Help me

От
Rafael Mueller
Дата:
> When I start postgresql by the command:
> postmaster -i
> have a error message:
$su postgres
$pg_ctl -D /path/to/data/dir -o "-i"

> a possible system security compromise.  See the documentation for
> more information on how to properly start the server.

+---------------------------------+
|Rafael Mueller                   |
|CCO012 - Computação - UFSC       |
|GNU/Linux User #271799           |
|UIN #97699276                    |
|Dividir para conquistar!         |
+---------------------------------+

Re: Help me

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Tran Anh Tu wrote:

> Hi all!
> I have installed Mandrake 9.0. and postgresql is installed automatically.
> When I start postgresql by the command:
> postmaster -i
> have a error message:
>
> The server must be started under an unprivileged user id to prevent
> a possible system security compromise.  See the documentation for
> more information on how to properly start the server.
>
> With Mandrake 8.0, I do nothing to config postgresql. So what I can do to
> config it now? Please help me! thank you very much.

Is this an RPM install or a .tar.gz install?

If an RPM install, try, as root:

service pgsql start

Note that pgsql may not be the name, it could be something else.  look for
a file in /etc/rc.d/init.d with a name that seems like postgresql and
substitute it for pgsql above.

If it is a tar.gz install, you'll have to create an account (or use one
that already exists) to 'initdb', set PGDATA and 'pg_ctl start' or
'postmaster -i -D datadir'

Re: Help me

От
"Tran Anh Tu"
Дата:
Hi all!
Postgresql is installed automatically with rpm packets, It run perfectly
with command : /etc/init.d/postgresql start
But when I stop it and switch to user: postgres, and start it with
command: postmaster -i then it does not working because It don't know
where the database is placed. Please help me.
Tran Anh Tu
Vien CNTT - DHQG Ha Noi
Phone: 047680417-25   Email trantu@vnu.edu.vn

Re: Help me

От
"Tran Anh Tu"
Дата:
Hi all!
Postgresql is installed automatically with rpm packets, It run perfectly
with command : /etc/init.d/postgresql start
But when I stop it and switch to user: postgres, and start it with
command: postmaster -i then it does not working because It don't know
where the database is placed. A error message:

postmaster does not know where to find the database system data.
You must specify the directory that contains the database system
either by specifying the -D invocation option or by setting the
PGDATA environment variable.

Please help me!
Tran Anh Tu
Vien CNTT - DHQG Ha Noi
Phone: 047680417-25   Email trantu@vnu.edu.vn

Re: Help me

От
Gerd Terlutter
Дата:
Tran Anh Tu wrote:
> Hi all!

> But when I stop it and switch to user: postgres, and start it with
> command: postmaster -i then it does not working because It don't know
> where the database is placed. A error message:
>
> postmaster does not know where to find the database system data.
> Please help me!
tran@tux$su -
password:xxx
root#su postgres
tux:/root$ whoami
postgres
tux:/root$ cd
tux$pwd
/var/lib/postgres
tux$ls -al
does this help?

greetings,
Gerd

# Gerd Terlutter        | Mueller+Blanck Software GmbH #
# gerd@MplusB.de        | Gutenbergring 38             #
# gerd.terlutter@web.de | D-22848 Noderstedt           #
# tel:0171/6992579      | tel:+49 40 500 171-1         #
# Buero:040/500171-17   | fax:+49 40 500 171-71        #

Re: Help me

От
"Tran Anh Tu"
Дата:
I had checked the directory:
/var/lib/pgsql (not postgres)
It has some files but I can't do with it. I thought I had a prolems when
install mandrake 9.0 and I installed it again but there is nothing to be
change.
When I start postgresql by the command:
   /etc/init.d/postgresql start
then I type with user root:
   createdb demo
Have a error message:
   user "root" does not exist
What does this mean? please help me, thank you very much.
Tran Anh Tu
Vien CNTT - DHQG Ha Noi
Phone: 047680417-25   Email trantu@vnu.edu.vn

> > But when I stop it and switch to user: postgres, and start it with
> > command: postmaster -i then it does not working because It don't know
> > where the database is placed. A error message:
> >
> > postmaster does not know where to find the database system data.
> > Please help me!
> tran@tux$su -
> password:xxx
> root#su postgres
> tux:/root$ whoami
> postgres
> tux:/root$ cd
> tux$pwd
> /var/lib/postgres
> tux$ls -al
> does this help?
>
> greetings,
> Gerd

> # Gerd Terlutter        | Mueller+Blanck Software GmbH #
> # gerd@MplusB.de        | Gutenbergring 38             #
> # gerd.terlutter@web.de | D-22848 Noderstedt           #
> # tel:0171/6992579      | tel:+49 40 500 171-1         #
> # Buero:040/500171-17   | fax:+49 40 500 171-71        #
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Help MMMEEE

От
Gerd Terlutter
Дата:
Tran Anh Tu wrote:

> When I start postgresql by the command:
>    /etc/init.d/postgresql start
> then I type with user root:
>    createdb demo
> Have a error message:
>    user "root" does not exist
> What does this mean? please help me, thank you very much.

After install PG and run it, you have to su postgres, and then
..$createuser xxxx
password: xxxx
best you choose your 'normal'user-account (name), pw can be another.
This PG-user has root-privilege on PG. Then you can adduser or create
DBs as normal user. To start/stop PG, use
root# /etc/init.d/postgresql [start/stop/restart...]

>>Tran Anh Tu wrote:
>>
>>>But when I stop it and switch to user: postgres, and start it with
>>>command: postmaster -i then it does not working because It don't know
>>>where the database is placed. A error message:
>>>
>>>postmaster does not know where to find the database system data.
>>>Please help me!
>>
>>tran@tux$su -
>>password:xxx
>>root#su postgres
>>tux:/root$ whoami
>>postgres
>>tux:/root$ cd
>>tux$pwd
>>/var/lib/postgres
>>tux$ls -al
>>does this help?
>>
>>greetings,
>>Gerd

# Gerd Terlutter        | Mueller+Blanck Software GmbH #
# gerd@MplusB.de        | Gutenbergring 38             #
# gerd.terlutter@web.de | D-22848 Noderstedt           #
# tel:0171/6992579      | tel:+49 40 500 171-1         #
# Buero:040/500171-17   | fax:+49 40 500 171-71        #

Re: Help me

От
"Tran Anh Tu"
Дата:
It's OK.Thank you for your help. Best wishes to you.
Tran Anh Tu
Vien CNTT - DHQG Ha Noi
Phone: 047680417-25   Email trantu@vnu.edu.vn

> >Postgresql is installed automatically with rpm packets, It run
> perfectly
> >with command : /etc/init.d/postgresql start
> >But when I stop it and switch to user: postgres, and start it with
> >command: postmaster -i then it does not working because It don't know
> >where the database is placed. A error message:
>
> >postmaster does not know where to find the database system data.
> >You must specify the directory that contains the database system
> >either by specifying the -D invocation option or by setting the
> >PGDATA environment variable.
>
> >Please help me!
>
> if your postgresql is installed automatically with rpm packets.
> before you start the postmaster, you must do it some steps like this...
> 1. from root, you must login as postgres superuser with command " su
> postgres"
>     # su postgres <ENTER>
> 2. the next steps you must create database cluster, the command like
> this...
>     $ initdb -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
> 3. the finally steps, now you can start the postmaster (from postgres
> super user)
>    like this...
>     $ postmaster -i -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
>
> I hope, my answer can help you
>
> regards
> Andhie

> http://www.linuxmail.org/
> Now with e-mail forwarding for only US$5.95/yr
>
> Powered by Outblaze

Re: Help me

От
"Tran Anh Tu"
Дата:
Yes, because I begin at learning Posgresql so have lots thing that I
don't understand for. I hope I will receive your help. Thank you very