Обсуждение: How we made Postgres upserts 2-3* quicker than MongoDB

How we made Postgres upserts 2-3* quicker than MongoDB

От
Mark Zealey
Дата:
Hi all, I just wrote an article about the postgres performance
optimizations I've been working on recently especially compared to our
old MongoDB platform

https://mark.zealey.org/2016/01/08/how-we-tweaked-postgres-upsert-performance-to-be-2-3-faster-than-mongodb

Re: How we made Postgres upserts 2-3* quicker than MongoDB

От
Nicolas Paris
Дата:
Hello Mark,

As far as I know, MongoDB is able to get better writing performances
thanks to scaling (easy to manage sharding). Postgresql cannot (is not
designed for - complicated).
Why comparing postgresql & mongoDB performances on a standalone
instance since mongoDB is not really designed for that ?

Thanks for the answer and for sharing,

> Hi all, I just wrote an article about the postgres performance optimizations
> I've been working on recently especially compared to our old MongoDB
> platform
>
> https://mark.zealey.org/2016/01/08/how-we-tweaked-postgres-upsert-performance-to-be-2-3-faster-than-mongodb

Re: How we made Postgres upserts 2-3* quicker than MongoDB

От
Mark Zealey
Дата:
On 08/01/16 19:07, Nicolas Paris wrote:
> Hello Mark,
>
> As far as I know, MongoDB is able to get better writing performances
> thanks to scaling (easy to manage sharding). Postgresql cannot (is not
> designed for - complicated).
> Why comparing postgresql & mongoDB performances on a standalone
> instance since mongoDB is not really designed for that ?

Yes you can get better performance with mongo via the sharding route but
there are a number of quite bad downsides to mongo sharding - limited
ability to perform aggregation, loss of unique key constraints other
than the shard key, requires at minimum 4-6* the hardware (2 replicas
for each block = 4 + 2 * mongos gateway servers)... Actually pretty
similar to the issues you see when trying to scale a RDBMS via
sharding... We tried doing some mongo sharding and the result was a
massive drop in write performance so we gave up pretty quickly...

Mark

Re: How we made Postgres upserts 2-3* quicker than MongoDB

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Nicolas Paris <niparisco@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi all, I just wrote an article about the postgres performance optimizations
>> I've been working on recently especially compared to our old MongoDB
>> platform
>>
>> https://mark.zealey.org/2016/01/08/how-we-tweaked-postgres-upsert-performance-to-be-2-3-faster-than-mongodb

> Hello Mark,
>
> As far as I know, MongoDB is able to get better writing performances
> thanks to scaling (easy to manage sharding). Postgresql cannot (is not
> designed for - complicated).
> Why comparing postgresql & mongoDB performances on a standalone
> instance since mongoDB is not really designed for that ?
>
> Thanks for the answer and for sharing,

I think the part where he mentioned that it's a lot easy to do roll up
and reporting queries etc. on a sql database justified the comparison
between the two in general. At which point PostgreSQL would normally
be considered the underdog in write performance, at least in the past.
So comparing the two makes perfect sense.