Обсуждение: Re: getting the most of out multi-core systems for repeated complex SELECT statements

Time for my pet meme to wiggle out of its hole (next to Phil's, and a day later).  For PG to prosper in the future, it
hasto embrace the multi-core/processor/SSD machine at the query level.  It has to.  And it has to because the Big Boys
alreadydo so, to some extent, and they've realized that the BCNF schema on such machines is supremely efficient.
PG/MySql/OSEngineOfChoicewill get left behind simply because the efficiency offered will be worth the price.

I know this is far from trivial, and my C skills are such that I can offer no help.  These machines have been the
obvious"current" machine in waiting for at least 5 years, and those applications which benefit from parallelism
(serversof all kinds, in particular) will filter out the winners and losers based on exploiting this parallelism.

Much as it pains me to say it, but the MicroSoft approach to software: write to the next generation processor and force
usersto upgrade, will be the winning strategy for database engines.  There's just way too much to gain.

-- Robert