Обсуждение: Add slowdown after conversion to UTF8

Add slowdown after conversion to UTF8

От
Brant Fitzsimmons
Дата:
Hello there,

I've searched the web and can find very little on this issue, so I was hoping those on this list would be able to shed some light on it.

Performance has dropped through the floor after converting my db from ASCI to UTF8.  Is this normal behavior on 8.4.x?

I'm mystified as to the problem. Thanks for any input you can provide.

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein

Re: Add slowdown after conversion to UTF8

Дата:
Brant Fitzsimmons <brant.fitzsimmons@gmail.com> writes:
> I've searched the web and can find very little on this issue, so I was
> hoping those on this list would be able to shed some light on it.

> Performance has dropped through the floor after converting my db from ASCI
> to UTF8.  Is this normal behavior on 8.4.x?

Well, with no specifics on performance of *what*, it's hard to say.
There are certain operations that could be quite a bit slower, yes.
I haven't heard of too many people noticing a problem though.

It's probably worth noting that locale could be at least as much of a
factor as encoding ... but perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions about
what your slow operations are.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Add slowdown after conversion to UTF8

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On tor, 2010-06-17 at 18:28 -0400, Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:
> Performance has dropped through the floor after converting my db from
> ASCI to UTF8.

Converting from ASCII to UTF8 is a noop.

If you did some configuration changes, you need to tell us which.