Обсуждение: perf problem with huge table

perf problem with huge table

От
rama

Hi all,

i am trying to move my app from M$sql to PGsql, but i need a bit of help :)

on M$sql, i had certain tables that was made as follow (sorry pseudo code)

contab_y
   date
   amt
   uid

contab_yd
  date
  amt
  uid

contab_ymd
  date
  amt
  uid

and so on..

this was used to "solidify" (aggregate..btw sorry for my terrible english) the data on it..

so basically, i get

contab_y
date = 2010
amt = 100
uid = 1

contab_ym
  date = 2010-01
  amt = 10
  uid = 1
----
  date = 2010-02
  amt = 90
  uid = 1

contab_ymd
   date=2010-01-01
   amt = 1
   uid = 1
----
blabla

in that way, when i need to do a query for a long ranges  (ie: 1 year) i just take the rows that are contained to
contab_y
if i need to got a query for a couple of days, i can go on ymd, if i need to get some data for the other timeframe, i
cando some cool intersection between
the different table using some huge (but fast) queries.

Now, the matter is that this design is hard to mantain, and the tables are difficult to check

what i have try is to go for a "normal" approach, using just a table that contains all the data, and some proper
indexing.
The issue is that this table can contains easilly 100M rows :)
that's why the other guys do all this work to speed-up queryes splitting data on different table and precalculating the
sums.

I am here to ask for an advice to PGsql experts:
what do you think i can do to better manage this situation?
there are some other cases where i can take a look at? maybe some documentation, or some technique that i don't know?
any advice is really appreciated!

Re: perf problem with huge table

От
Justin Graf
Дата:
On 2/10/2010 5:13 PM, rama wrote:
> in that way, when i need to do a query for a long ranges  (ie: 1 year) i just take the rows that are contained to
contab_y
> if i need to got a query for a couple of days, i can go on ymd, if i need to get some data for the other timeframe, i
cando some cool intersection between
> the different table using some huge (but fast) queries.
>

> Now, the matter is that this design is hard to mantain, and the tables are difficult to check
>
> what i have try is to go for a "normal" approach, using just a table that contains all the data, and some proper
indexing.
> The issue is that this table can contains easilly 100M rows :)
> that's why the other guys do all this work to speed-up queryes splitting data on different table and precalculating
thesums.

> I am here to ask for an advice to PGsql experts:
> what do you think i can do to better manage this situation?
> there are some other cases where i can take a look at? maybe some documentation, or some technique that i don't know?
> any advice is really appreciated!

Look into table partitioning
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/ddl-partitioning.html

Its similar to what you are doing but it simplifies queries and logic to
access large data sets.

All legitimate Magwerks Corporation quotations are sent in a .PDF file attachment with a unique ID number generated by
ourproprietary quotation system. Quotations received via any other form of communication will not be honored.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including attachments, may contain legally privileged, confidential or other
informationproprietary to Magwerks Corporation and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
addresses.If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified
thatany unauthorized viewing, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have
receivedthis e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and destroy all occurrences of this
e-mailimmediately.
Thank you.

Re: perf problem with huge table

От
Dave Crooke
Дата:
Hi Rama

I'm actually looking at going in the other direction ....

I have an app using PG where we have a single table where we just added a lot of data, and I'm ending up with many millions of rows, and I'm finding that the single table schema simply doesn't scale.

In PG, the table partitioning is only handled by the database for reads, for insert/update you need to do quite a lot of DIY (setting up triggers, etc.) so I am planning to just use named tables and generate the necessary DDL / DML in vanilla SQL the same way that your older code does.

My experience is mostly with Oracle, which is not MVCC, so I've had to relearn some stuff:

- Oracle often answers simple queries (e.g. counts and max / min) using only the index, which is of course pre-sorted. PG has to go out and fetch the rows to see if they are still in scope, and if they are stored all over the place on disk it means an 8K random page fetch for each row. This means that adding an index to PG is not nearly the silver bullet that it can be with some non-MVCC databases.

- PG's indexes seem to be quite a bit larger than Oracle's, but that's gut feel, I haven't been doing true comparisons ...  however, for my app I have limited myself to only two indexes on that table, and each index is larger (in disk space) than the table itself ... I have 60GB of data and 140GB of indexes :-)

- There is a lot of row turnover in my big table (I age out data) .... a big delete (millions of rows) in PG seems a bit more expensive to process than in Oracle, however PG is not nearly as sensitive to transaction sizes as Oracle is, so you can cheerfully throw out one big "DELETE from FOO where ..." and let the database chew on it

I am interested to hear about your progress.

Cheers
Dave

[...]

Jon Lewison

I'm actually looking at going in the other direction ....

I have an app using PG where we have a single table where we just added a lot of data, and I'm ending up with many millions of rows, and I'm finding that the single table schema simply doesn't scale.

In PG, the table partitioning is only handled by the database for reads, for insert/update you need to do quite a lot of DIY (setting up triggers, etc.) so I am planning to just use named tables and generate the necessary DDL / DML in vanilla SQL the same way that your older code does.

My experience is mostly with Oracle, which is not MVCC, so I've had to relearn some stuff:

Just a nit, but Oracle implements MVCC.  90% of the databases out there do.

[...]

I find partitioning pretty useful in this scenario if the data allows is.  Aging out data just means dropping a partition rather than a delete statement.

Re: perf problem with huge table

От
Dave Crooke
Дата: