Обсуждение: TCP network cost

TCP network cost

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
Recently I've been working on improving the performance of a system that
delivers files stored in postgresql as bytea data. I was surprised at
just how much a penalty I find moving from a domain socket connection to
a TCP connection, even localhost. For one particular 40MB file (nothing
outragous) I see ~ 2.5 sec. to download w/ the domain socket, but ~ 45 sec
for a TCP connection (either localhost, name of localhost, or from
another machine 5 hops away (on campus - gigabit LAN) Similar numbers
for 8.2.3 or 8.3.6 (on Linux/Debian etch + backports)

So, why the 20 fold penalty for using TCP? Any clues on how to trace
what's up in the network IO stack?

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reedstrm@rice.edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist        phone: 713-348-6166

Re: TCP network cost

От
Rusty Conover

Recently I've been working on improving the performance of a system that
delivers files stored in postgresql as bytea data. I was surprised at
just how much a penalty I find moving from a domain socket connection to
a TCP connection, even localhost. For one particular 40MB file (nothing
outragous) I see ~ 2.5 sec. to download w/ the domain socket, but ~ 45 sec
for a TCP connection (either localhost, name of localhost, or from
another machine 5 hops away (on campus - gigabit LAN) Similar numbers
for 8.2.3 or 8.3.6 (on Linux/Debian etch + backports)

So, why the 20 fold penalty for using TCP? Any clues on how to trace
what's up in the network IO stack?

Try running tests with ttcp to eliminate any PostgreSQL overhead and find out the real bandwidth between the two machines.  If its results are also slow, you know the problem is TCP related and not PostgreSQL related.

Cheers,

Rusty
--

Re: TCP network cost

От
david@lang.hm
Дата:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Rusty Conover wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2009, at 12:04 AM, Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
>
>> Recently I've been working on improving the performance of a system that
>> delivers files stored in postgresql as bytea data. I was surprised at
>> just how much a penalty I find moving from a domain socket connection to
>> a TCP connection, even localhost. For one particular 40MB file (nothing
>> outragous) I see ~ 2.5 sec. to download w/ the domain socket, but ~ 45 sec
>> for a TCP connection (either localhost, name of localhost, or from
>> another machine 5 hops away (on campus - gigabit LAN) Similar numbers
>> for 8.2.3 or 8.3.6 (on Linux/Debian etch + backports)
>>
>> So, why the 20 fold penalty for using TCP? Any clues on how to trace
>> what's up in the network IO stack?
>
> Try running tests with ttcp to eliminate any PostgreSQL overhead and find out
> the real bandwidth between the two machines.  If its results are also slow,
> you know the problem is TCP related and not PostgreSQL related.

note that he saw problems even on localhost.

in the last couple of months I've seen a lot of discussin on the
linux-kernel list about the performance of localhost. unfortunantly those
fixes are only in the 2.6.27.x and 2.6.28.x -stable kernels.

David Lang

Re: TCP network cost

От
Aaron Turner
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:04 PM, Ross J. Reedstrom <reedstrm@rice.edu> wrote:
> Recently I've been working on improving the performance of a system that
> delivers files stored in postgresql as bytea data. I was surprised at
> just how much a penalty I find moving from a domain socket connection to
> a TCP connection, even localhost. For one particular 40MB file (nothing
> outragous) I see ~ 2.5 sec. to download w/ the domain socket, but ~ 45 sec
> for a TCP connection (either localhost, name of localhost, or from
> another machine 5 hops away (on campus - gigabit LAN) Similar numbers
> for 8.2.3 or 8.3.6 (on Linux/Debian etch + backports)
>
> So, why the 20 fold penalty for using TCP? Any clues on how to trace
> what's up in the network IO stack?

TCP has additional overhead as well as going through the IP stack
which for non-tuned Linux kernels is pretty limiting.

long story short, there are things in /proc you can use to increase
buffers and window sizes which will help with large TCP streams (like
a 40MB file for example).  There's a lot of documentation on the net
for how to tune the Linux IP stack so I won't repeat it here.

Now, having your DB box 5 hops away is going to add a lot of latency
and any packet loss is going to kill TCP throughput- especially if you
increase window sizes.  I'd recommend something like "mtr" to map the
network traffic (make sure you run it both ways in case you have an
asymmetric routing situation) for a long period of time to look for
hiccups.

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/

Re: TCP network cost

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 12:20:02AM -0700, Rusty Conover wrote:

> Try running tests with ttcp to eliminate any PostgreSQL overhead and
> find out the real bandwidth between the two machines.  If its results
> are also slow, you know the problem is TCP related and not PostgreSQL
> related.

I did in fact run a simple netcat client/server pair and verified that I
can transfer that file on 0.12 sec localhost (or hostname), 0.35 over the
net, so TCP stack and network are not to blame. This is purely inside
the postgresql code issue, I believe.

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:13:40AM -0800, Aaron Turner wrote:

> TCP has additional overhead as well as going through the IP stack
> which for non-tuned Linux kernels is pretty limiting.

Right. Already tuned those so long ago, I failed to mention it. Note the
'bare' transfer times added above. Nothing to write home about
(~3Mb/sec) but another order of magnitude faster than the postgresql
transfer.

> long story short, there are things in /proc you can use to increase
> buffers and window sizes which will help with large TCP streams (like
> a 40MB file for example).  There's a lot of documentation on the net
> for how to tune the Linux IP stack so I won't repeat it here.
>
> Now, having your DB box 5 hops away is going to add a lot of latency
> and any packet loss is going to kill TCP throughput- especially if you
> increase window sizes.  I'd recommend something like "mtr" to map the
> network traffic (make sure you run it both ways in case you have an
> asymmetric routing situation) for a long period of time to look for
> hiccups.

The 5-hops in on campus, gigabit all the way, w/ reasonable routing -
and not the issue: I see the same times from another machine attaached
to the same switch (which is the real use-case, actually.)

Ross
--
[...]

What is the client software you're using?  libpq?

Rusty

Re: TCP network cost

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 01:59:55PM -0700, Rusty Conover wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2009, at 1:04 PM, Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
>

> What is the client software you're using?  libpq?

python w/ psycopg (or psycopg2), which wraps libpq. Same results w/
either version.

I think I'll try network sniffing to see if I can find where the
delays are happening.

Ross

Re: TCP network cost

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 03:14:55PM -0600, Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 01:59:55PM -0700, Rusty Conover wrote:
> >
> > What is the client software you're using?  libpq?
> >

> python w/ psycopg (or psycopg2), which wraps libpq. Same results w/
> either version.

It's not python networking per se's fault: sending the file via a
SimpleHTTPServer, adn fetching w/ wget takes on the order of 0.5 sec.
as well.

> I think I'll try network sniffing to see if I can find where the
> delays are happening.

I'm no TCP/IP expert, but some packet capturing, and wireshark analysis
makes me suspicious about flow control. the 'netcat' transfer shows lots
of packets from server -> client, w/ deltaTs of 8 - 200 usec (that's
micro-sec), mostly in the 10-20 range. The client -> server 'ack's seem
bursty, happening only every 50-100 packets, then a few back-to-back,
all taking 10-20 usec.

I also see occasional lost packets, retransmits, and TCP Window Updates
in this stream. FIN packet is after 8553 packets.

For the libpq driven transfer, I see lots of packets flowing both ways.
Seems about every other packet from server to client is 'ack'ed. Each of
these 'ack's takes 10 uS to send, but seem to cause the transfer to
'reset', since the next packet from the server doesn't arrive for 2-2.5
ms (that's milli-sec!) FIN happens at 63155 packets.

No lost packets, no renegotiation, etc.

Capturing a localhost transfer shows the same pattern, although now
almost every single packet from server -> client takes ~ 3 ms

So, TCP experts out there, what's the scoop? Is libpq/psycopg being very
conservative, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Are there network
socket properities I need to be tweaking?

Does framing up for TCP just take that long when the bits are coming
from the DB? I assume the unix-domain socket case still uses the full
postgresql messaging protocol, but wouldn't need to worry about
network-byte-order, etc.

All the postgres tunable knobs I can see seem to talk about disk IO,
rather than net IO. Can someone point me at some doco about net IO?

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reedstrm@rice.edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist        phone: 713-348-6166
The Connexions Project      http://cnx.org            fax: 713-348-3665
Rice University MS-375, Houston, TX 77005
GPG Key fingerprint = F023 82C8 9B0E 2CC6 0D8E  F888 D3AE 810E 88F0 BEDE

Re: TCP network cost

От
Aaron Turner
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Ross J. Reedstrom <reedstrm@rice.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 03:14:55PM -0600, Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 01:59:55PM -0700, Rusty Conover wrote:
>> >
>> > What is the client software you're using?  libpq?
>> >

>> python w/ psycopg (or psycopg2), which wraps libpq. Same results w/
>> either version.
>>

> It's not python networking per se's fault: sending the file via a
> SimpleHTTPServer, adn fetching w/ wget takes on the order of 0.5 sec.
> as well.
>
>> I think I'll try network sniffing to see if I can find where the
>> delays are happening.
>
> I'm no TCP/IP expert, but some packet capturing, and wireshark analysis
> makes me suspicious about flow control. the 'netcat' transfer shows lots
> of packets from server -> client, w/ deltaTs of 8 - 200 usec (that's
> micro-sec), mostly in the 10-20 range. The client -> server 'ack's seem
> bursty, happening only every 50-100 packets, then a few back-to-back,
> all taking 10-20 usec.
>
> I also see occasional lost packets, retransmits, and TCP Window Updates
> in this stream. FIN packet is after 8553 packets.
>
> For the libpq driven transfer, I see lots of packets flowing both ways.
> Seems about every other packet from server to client is 'ack'ed. Each of
> these 'ack's takes 10 uS to send, but seem to cause the transfer to
> 'reset', since the next packet from the server doesn't arrive for 2-2.5
> ms (that's milli-sec!) FIN happens at 63155 packets.
>
> No lost packets, no renegotiation, etc.
>
> Capturing a localhost transfer shows the same pattern, although now
> almost every single packet from server -> client takes ~ 3 ms
>
> So, TCP experts out there, what's the scoop? Is libpq/psycopg being very
> conservative, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Are there network
> socket properities I need to be tweaking?
>
> Does framing up for TCP just take that long when the bits are coming
> from the DB? I assume the unix-domain socket case still uses the full
> postgresql messaging protocol, but wouldn't need to worry about
> network-byte-order, etc.
>
> All the postgres tunable knobs I can see seem to talk about disk IO,
> rather than net IO. Can someone point me at some doco about net IO?

What's the negotiated window size?  That's the amount of data allowed
"in flight" without an ack.  The fact that acks happen regularly
shouldn't be a problem, but if the sender is stalling because it has a
small window, waiting for an ack to be received that could cause a
large slow down.

Do the ack's include any data?  If so it's indicative of the PG
networking protocol overhead- probably not much you can do about that.

Without looking at a pcap myself, I'm not sure I can help out any more.

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/
temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Re: TCP network cost

От
Gregory Stark
Дата:
"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@rice.edu> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 12:20:02AM -0700, Rusty Conover wrote:
>>
>> Try running tests with ttcp to eliminate any PostgreSQL overhead and
>> find out the real bandwidth between the two machines.  If its results
>> are also slow, you know the problem is TCP related and not PostgreSQL
>> related.
>
> I did in fact run a simple netcat client/server pair and verified that I
> can transfer that file on 0.12 sec localhost (or hostname), 0.35 over the
> net, so TCP stack and network are not to blame. This is purely inside
> the postgresql code issue, I believe.

There's not much Postgres can do to mess up TCP/IP. The only things that come
to mind are a) making lots of short-lived connections and b) getting caught by
Nagle when doing lots of short operations and blocking waiting on results.

What libpq (or other interface) operations are you doing exactly?

[also, your Mail-Followup-To has a bogus email address in it. Please don't do
that]

--
  Gregory Stark

Re: TCP network cost

От
PFC
Дата:
> python w/ psycopg (or psycopg2), which wraps libpq. Same results w/
> either version.

    I've seen psycopg2 saturate a 100 Mbps ethernet connection (direct
connection with crossover cable) between postgres server and client during
a benchmark... I had to change the benchmark to not retrieve a large TEXT
column to remove this bottleneck... this was last year so versions are
probably different, but I don't think this matters a lot...

> Note the 'bare' transfer times added above. Nothing to write home about
> (~3Mb/sec) but another order of magnitude faster than the postgresql
> transfer.

    You should test with sending a large (>100 MB) amount of data through
Netcat. This should give you your maximum wire speed. Use /dev/null as the
test file, and use "pv" (pipe viewer) to measure throughput :

box 1 : pv < /dev/zero | nc -lp 12345
box 2 : nc (ip) 12345 >/dev/null

    On gigabit lan you should get 100 MB/s, on 100BaseT about 10 MB/s. If you
dont get that, there is a problem somewhere (bad cable, bad NIC, slow
switch/router, etc). Monitor CPU during this test (vmstat). Usage should
be low.

Re: TCP network cost

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
[note: sending a message that's been sitting in 'drafts' since last week]

reasonable time, but I suspect there's still room for improvement in
libpq over TCP: I'm suspicious of the 6x difference. Detailed analysis
will probably find it's all down to memory allocation and extra copying
of bits around (client side)

Ross

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 01:44:23PM +0000, Gregory Stark wrote:

> There's not much Postgres can do to mess up TCP/IP. The only things that come
> to mind are a) making lots of short-lived connections and b) getting caught by
> Nagle when doing lots of short operations and blocking waiting on results.

The hint re: Nagle sent to off hunting. It looks like libpq _should_ be
setting NODELAY on both sides of the socket. However, tcptrace output
does show (what I understand to be) the stereotypical
every-other-packet-acked stairstep of a delayed-ack/Nagle interaction.
(as described here: http://www.stuartcheshire.org/papers/NagleDelayedAck/ )

Walking through the libpq code, though, it sets NODELAY, so Nagle should
be out of the picture.  This may be a red herring, though. See below.

> What libpq (or other interface) operations are you doing exactly?

I'm using psycopg from python. My cut down test case is:

con=psycopg.connect('dbname=mydb user=myuser port=5433 host=myhost')
cur=con.cursor()
start=DateTime.now()
cur.execute("""select file from files where fileid=1""")
data = cur.fetchone()[0]
end=DateTime.now()
f=open('/dev/null','w')
f.write(data)
f.close()
cur.close()
print "tcp socket: %s" % str(end - start)

I've since written a minimal C app, and it's doing much better, down to
about 7 sec for a local TCP connection (either localhost or hostname)

So, I get to blame the psycopg wrapper for ~ 30 sec of delay. I'm
suspicous of memory allocation, myself.

The tcp traces (tcpdump + tcptrace + xplot are cool set of tools, btw)
indicate that the backend's taking ~ 0.35 sec to process the query and
start sending bits, and using a domain socket w/ that code gets the file
in 1.3 - 1.4 sec, so I'm still seeing a 6-fold slowdown for going via
TCP (6 sec. vs. 1 sec.)  Sending the raw file via apache (localhost)
takes ~200 ms.

Moving to a large-object based implementation would seem to confirm
that: psycopg2 (snapshot of svn head) manages to pull a lo version of
the file in times equivalent to the C client (7 sec local)

I'll probably move the system to use that, since there's really almost
no use-case for access to the insides of these files from SQL.

> [also, your Mail-Followup-To has a bogus email address in it. Please don't do
> that]

Hmm, not on purpose. I'll take a look.

Re: TCP network cost

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 02:09:04PM +0100, PFC wrote:

> >python w/ psycopg (or psycopg2), which wraps libpq. Same results w/
> >either version.
>
>     I've seen psycopg2 saturate a 100 Mbps ethernet connection (direct
> connection with crossover cable) between postgres server and client during
> a benchmark... I had to change the benchmark to not retrieve a large TEXT
> column to remove this bottleneck... this was last year so versions are
> probably different, but I don't think this matters a lot...

Here's the core of the problem: I in fact need to transfer exactly that:
a large single field (bytea in my case). I suspect psycopg[12] is having
issues w/ memory allocation, but that's just an unsupported gut feeling.

The final upshot is that I need to restructure my config to use the
large-object API (and hence a snapshot of psycopg2) to get decent
throughput.

>     You should test with sending a large (>100 MB) amount of data
>     through  Netcat. This should give you your maximum wire speed. Use
> /dev/null as the  test file, and use "pv" (pipe viewer) to measure
> throughput :
>
> box 1 : pv < /dev/zero | nc -lp 12345
> box 2 : nc (ip) 12345 >/dev/null
>
>     On gigabit lan you should get 100 MB/s, on 100BaseT about 10 MB/s.

112 MB/s, and 233 MB/s for localhost. Thanks for the pointer to pv:
looks like a nice tool. Investigating this problem has lead me to a
number of nice 'old school' tools: the other is tcptrace and xplot.org.
I've been hand reading tcpdump output, or clicking around in
ethereal/wireshark. I like tcptrace's approach.

Ross