Обсуждение: Pros and Cons of 8.3.1

Pros and Cons of 8.3.1

От
"Gauri Kanekar"

Can anyone who have started using 8.3.1 list out the pros and cons.

Thanx in advance

~ Gauri

Re: Pros and Cons of 8.3.1

От
"Claus Guttesen"
Дата:
> Can anyone who have started using 8.3.1 list out the pros and cons.

I upgraded to 8.3.1 yesterday from 8.3.0. I've used 8.3.0 since it was
released and it's working fine. I upgraded from 7.4 (dump/restore) and
it was working out of the box. We have somewhat simple sql-queries so
there was no need to change/alter these. The largest table has approx.
85 mill. records (image-table).

One thing I had newer seen before was that duplicate rows was inserted
into our order-table but I don't know whether this is due to changes
in the web-app or 8.3.0. Now that I upgraded to 8.3.1 I will wait a
few weeks and see if I get the same error before I alter the column
and add a unique contraint.

So from a 7.4-perspective and fairly simple queries I don't see any issues.

--
regards
Claus

the gentlest gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare

Re: Pros and Cons of 8.3.1

От
Justin

Gauri Kanekar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone who have started using 8.3.1 list out the pros and cons.
>
> Thanx in advance
>
> ~ Gauri

don't know for sure if it is windows to linux  but we moved to 8.2 that
was install on windows and moved to 8.3.1 on Ubuntu using the compiled
version from Ubuntu

We had minor annoying problem with implicit data conversion no longer
happens

Had several pl/pgsql functions called each other where a programmer got
lazy to not making sure the variable typed matched the parameter type so
we get an error yelling at us can't find function due to data type
mismatch .  Its was very easy to fix.

There is allot changes to how Text searches work and the indexes

Re: Pros and Cons of 8.3.1

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Fri, 02 May 2008 12:11:34 -0500
Justin <justin@emproshunts.com> wrote:

> don't know for sure if it is windows to linux  but we moved to 8.2
> that was install on windows and moved to 8.3.1 on Ubuntu using the
> compiled version from Ubuntu
>
> We had minor annoying problem with implicit data conversion no longer
> happens

It is 8.3.x and the change was documented in the release notes.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Pros and Cons of 8.3.1

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
>>> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at  2:31 AM, in message
<7e4ba9550805020031l6d20b715n8f01cd5e79147dc7@mail.gmail.com>, "Gauri
Kanekar"
<meetgaurikanekar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone who have started using 8.3.1 list out the pros and cons.

There are bugs in the 8.3.1 release which bit us when we started using
it; however, these are fixed in the 8.3 stable branch of cvs.  We are
running successfully with that.  These fixes will be in 8.3.2 when it is
released.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2008-04/msg00168.php

It's generally a good idea to test with a new release before putting it
into production, especially a major release.

Since you asked on the performance list -- we have found performance to
be significantly better under 8.3 than earlier releases.  Also, the data
takes less space on the disk, and checkpoint disk activity spikes are
reduced in 8.3.

-Kevin

Re: Pros and Cons of 8.3.1

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Attempting to resend.  My first attempt was rejected with this
explanation:

Your message to the pgsql-performance list has been denied
for the following reason(s):

A message was previous posted with this Message-ID
Duplicate Message-ID - <481AFC7B.EE98.0025.0@wicourts.gov> (Fri May  2
13:36:52 2008)
Duplicate Partial Message Checksum (Fri May  2 13:36:52 2008)

>>> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at  2:31 AM, in message
<7e4ba9550805020031l6d20b715n8f01cd5e79147dc7@mail.gmail.com>, "Gauri
Kanekar"
<meetgaurikanekar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone who have started using 8.3.1 list out the pros and cons.

There are bugs in the 8.3.1 release which bit us when we started using
it; however, these are fixed in the 8.3 stable branch of cvs.  We are
running successfully with that.  These fixes will be in 8.3.2 when it is
released.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2008-04/msg00168.php

It's generally a good idea to test with a new release before putting it
into production, especially a major release.

Since you asked on the performance list -- we have found performance to
be significantly better under 8.3 than earlier releases.  Also, the data
takes less space on the disk, and checkpoint disk activity spikes are
reduced in 8.3.

-Kevin

Re: Pros and Cons of 8.3.1

От