Re: Pros and Cons of 8.3.1

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Pros and Cons of 8.3.1
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
>>> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at  2:31 AM, in message
<7e4ba9550805020031l6d20b715n8f01cd5e79147dc7@mail.gmail.com>, "Gauri
Kanekar"
<meetgaurikanekar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone who have started using 8.3.1 list out the pros and cons.

There are bugs in the 8.3.1 release which bit us when we started using
it; however, these are fixed in the 8.3 stable branch of cvs.  We are
running successfully with that.  These fixes will be in 8.3.2 when it is
released.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2008-04/msg00168.php

It's generally a good idea to test with a new release before putting it
into production, especially a major release.

Since you asked on the performance list -- we have found performance to
be significantly better under 8.3 than earlier releases.  Also, the data
takes less space on the disk, and checkpoint disk activity spikes are
reduced in 8.3.

-Kevin