Обсуждение: oid...any optimizations

oid...any optimizations

От
"sathiya psql"
Дата:
i had a table with 50 lakh record...

it has a column called oid ( obviously all the tables will have this ), but while doing any operation it is getting slow because of the number of records...

if i remove the oid column will i get any benefit, what are all the other default columns created without our knowledge..

Re: oid...any optimizations

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 12:32:01 +0530
"sathiya psql" <sathiya.psql@gmail.com> wrote:

> i had a table with 50 lakh record...
>
> it has a column called oid ( obviously all the tables will have
> this ), but while doing any operation it is getting slow because of
> the number of records...

Actually it isn't obvious as oids have been deprecated for years.

> if i remove the oid column will i get any benefit, what are all the
> other default columns created without our knowledge..

What version of ancient PostgreSQL are you running exactly?

Joshua D. Drake

PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director |  PostgreSQL political pundit

Вложения

Re: oid...any optimizations

От
"sathiya psql"
Дата:
Actually it isn't obvious as oids have been deprecated for years.

no in my version it is now also available....

What version of ancient PostgreSQL are you running exactly?

postgresql 7.4

Re: oid...any optimizations

От
Theo Kramer
Дата:
On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 12:32 +0530, sathiya psql wrote:
> i had a table with 50 lakh record...
>
> it has a column called oid ( obviously all the tables will have
> this ), but while doing any operation it is getting slow because of
> the number of records...
>
> if i remove the oid column will i get any benefit, what are all the
> other default columns created without our knowledge..

Probably not

Also - do not remove oid if your sql operations require it.

A 'create index x_oid_idx on table x (oid)' might help.

Also see EXPLAIN in the manual.

--
Regards
Theo

Re: oid...any optimizations

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 12:43:57 +0530
"sathiya psql" <sathiya.psql@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Actually it isn't obvious as oids have been deprecated for years.
>

> no in my version it is now also available....

I didn't say they were gone. I said they are deprecated. You should not
be using them.

> > What version of ancient PostgreSQL are you running exactly?
>

> postgresql 7.4

That is god awful ancient. Upgrade to something remotely new, like
8.2.6.