Обсуждение: 12 hour table vacuums

12 hour table vacuums

От
Ron St-Pierre
Дата:
We vacuum only a few of our tables nightly, this one is the last one
because it takes longer to run. I'll probably re-index it soon, but I
would appreciate any advice on how to speed up the vacuum process (and
the db in general).

Okay, here's our system:
   postgres 8.1.4
   Linux version 2.4.21
   Red Hat Linux 3.2.3
   8 GB ram
   Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
   Raid 5
   autovacuum=off
   serves as the application server and database server
   server is co-located in another city, hardware upgrade is not
currently an option

Here's the table information:
The table has 140,000 rows, 130 columns (mostly NUMERIC), 60 indexes. It
is probably our 'key' table in the database and gets called by almost
every query (usually joined to others). The table gets updated only
about 10 times a day. We were running autovacuum but it interfered with
the updates to we shut it off. We vacuum this table nightly, and it
currently takes about 12 hours to vacuum it. Not much else is running
during this period, nothing that should affect the table.

Here are the current non-default postgresql.conf settings:
max_connections = 100
shared_buffers = 50000
work_mem = 9192
maintenance_work_mem = 786432
max_fsm_pages = 70000
vacuum_cost_delay = 200
vacuum_cost_limit = 100
bgwriter_delay = 10000
fsync = on
checkpoint_segments = 64
checkpoint_timeout = 1800
effective_cache_size = 270000
random_page_cost = 2
log_destination = 'stderr'
redirect_stderr = on
client_min_messages = warning
log_min_messages = warning
stats_start_collector = off
stats_command_string = on
stats_block_level = on
stats_row_level = on
autovacuum = off
autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 2000
deadlock_timeout = 10000
max_locks_per_transaction = 640
add_missing_from = on

As I mentioned, any insights into changing the configuration to optimize
performance are most welcome.

Thanks

Ron

Re: 12 hour table vacuums

От
Bill Moran
Дата:

> We vacuum only a few of our tables nightly, this one is the last one
> because it takes longer to run. I'll probably re-index it soon, but I
> would appreciate any advice on how to speed up the vacuum process (and
> the db in general).

I doubt anyone can provide meaningful advice without the output of
vacuum verbose.

> Okay, here's our system:
>    postgres 8.1.4
>    Linux version 2.4.21
>    Red Hat Linux 3.2.3
>    8 GB ram
>    Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
>    Raid 5
>    autovacuum=off
>    serves as the application server and database server
>    server is co-located in another city, hardware upgrade is not
> currently an option
>
> Here's the table information:
> The table has 140,000 rows, 130 columns (mostly NUMERIC), 60 indexes. It
> is probably our 'key' table in the database and gets called by almost
> every query (usually joined to others). The table gets updated only
> about 10 times a day. We were running autovacuum but it interfered with
> the updates to we shut it off. We vacuum this table nightly, and it
> currently takes about 12 hours to vacuum it. Not much else is running
> during this period, nothing that should affect the table.
>
> Here are the current non-default postgresql.conf settings:
> max_connections = 100
> shared_buffers = 50000
> work_mem = 9192
> maintenance_work_mem = 786432
> max_fsm_pages = 70000
> vacuum_cost_delay = 200
> vacuum_cost_limit = 100
> bgwriter_delay = 10000
> fsync = on
> checkpoint_segments = 64
> checkpoint_timeout = 1800
> effective_cache_size = 270000
> random_page_cost = 2
> log_destination = 'stderr'
> redirect_stderr = on
> client_min_messages = warning
> log_min_messages = warning
> stats_start_collector = off
> stats_command_string = on
> stats_block_level = on
> stats_row_level = on
> autovacuum = off
> autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 2000
> deadlock_timeout = 10000
> max_locks_per_transaction = 640
> add_missing_from = on
>
> As I mentioned, any insights into changing the configuration to optimize
> performance are most welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ron

Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
Phone: 412-422-3463x4023

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is
intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this
message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.

Re: 12 hour table vacuums

Дата:
Ron St-Pierre <ron.pgsql@shaw.ca> writes:
> The table has 140,000 rows, 130 columns (mostly NUMERIC), 60 indexes. It
> is probably our 'key' table in the database and gets called by almost
> every query (usually joined to others). The table gets updated only
> about 10 times a day. We were running autovacuum but it interfered with
> the updates to we shut it off. We vacuum this table nightly, and it
> currently takes about 12 hours to vacuum it. Not much else is running
> during this period, nothing that should affect the table.

Here is your problem:

> vacuum_cost_delay = 200

If you are only vacuuming when nothing else is happening, you shouldn't
be using vacuum_cost_delay at all: set it to 0.  In any case this value
is probably much too high.  I would imagine that if you watch the
machine while the vacuum is running you'll find both CPU and I/O load
near zero ... which is nice, unless you would like the vacuum to finish
sooner.

In unrelated comments:

> maintenance_work_mem = 786432

That seems awfully high, too.

> max_fsm_pages = 70000

And this possibly too low --- are you sure you are not leaking disk
space?

> stats_start_collector = off
> stats_command_string = on
> stats_block_level = on
> stats_row_level = on

These are not self-consistent.

            regards, tom lane

Re: 12 hour table vacuums

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Ron St-Pierre wrote:

> Okay, here's our system:
>   postgres 8.1.4

Upgrade to 8.1.10

> Here's the table information:
> The table has 140,000 rows, 130 columns (mostly NUMERIC), 60 indexes.

60 indexes?  You gotta be kidding.  You really have 60 columns on which
to scan?

> vacuum_cost_delay = 200
> vacuum_cost_limit = 100

Isn't this a bit high?  What happens if you cut the delay to, say, 10?
(considering you've lowered the limit to half the default)

--
Alvaro Herrera                          Developer, http://www.PostgreSQL.org/
"Someone said that it is at least an order of magnitude more work to do

Re: 12 hour table vacuums

От
Csaba Nagy
Дата:
On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 08:53 -0700, Ron St-Pierre wrote:
> [snip] We were running autovacuum but it interfered with
> the updates to we shut it off.

This is not directly related to your question, but it might be good for
your DB: you don't need to turn off autovacuum, you can exclude tables
individually from being autovacuumed by inserting the appropriate rows
in pg_autovacuum. See:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/catalog-pg-autovacuum.html

We also do have here a few big tables which we don't want autovacuum to
touch, so we disable them via pg_autovacuum. There are a few really big
ones which change rarely - those we only vacuum via a DB wide vacuum in
the weekend (which for us is a low activity period). If you say your
table is only changed rarely, you might be OK too with such a setup...

Cheers,
Csaba.

Re: 12 hour table vacuums

От
Ron St-Pierre
Дата:
Bill Moran wrote:

>> We vacuum only a few of our tables nightly, this one is the last one
>> because it takes longer to run. I'll probably re-index it soon, but I
>> would appreciate any advice on how to speed up the vacuum process (and
>> the db in general).
>>

> I doubt anyone can provide meaningful advice without the output of
> vacuum verbose.

The cron job is still running
  /usr/local/pgsql/bin/vacuumdb -d imperial -t stock.fdata -v -z >
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/fdata.txt
I'll post the output when it's finished.

Ron

Re: 12 hour table vacuums

От
Gregory Stark
Дата:
"Ron St-Pierre" <ron.pgsql@shaw.ca> writes:

> We vacuum only a few of our tables nightly, this one is the last one because it
> takes longer to run. I'll probably re-index it soon, but I would appreciate any
> advice on how to speed up the vacuum process (and the db in general).
> vacuum_cost_delay = 200

Well speeding up vacuum isn't really useful in itself. In fact you have vacuum
configured to run quite slowly by having vacuum_cost_delay set so high. You
have it set to sleep 200ms every few pages. If you lower that it'll run faster
but take more bandwidth away from the foreground tasks.

> Here's the table information:
> The table has 140,000 rows, 130 columns (mostly NUMERIC), 60 indexes.

For what it's worth NUMERIC columns take more space than you might expect.
Figure a minimum of 12 bytes your rows are at about 1.5k each even if the
non-numeric columns aren't large themselves. What are the other columns?

> We were running autovacuum but it interfered with the updates to we shut it
> off.

Was it just the I/O bandwidth? I'm surprised as your vacuum_cost_delay is
quite high. Manual vacuum doesn't do anything differently from autovacuum,
neither should interfere directly with updates except by taking away
I/O bandwidth.

> We vacuum this table nightly, and it currently takes about 12 hours to
> vacuum it. Not much else is running during this period, nothing that should
> affect the table.

Is this time increasing over time? If once a day isn't enough then you may be
accumulating more and more dead space over time. In which case you may be
better off running it during prime time with a large vacuum_cost_delay (like
the 200 you have configured) rather than trying to get to run fast enough to
fit in the off-peak period.

> deadlock_timeout = 10000

I would not suggest having this quite this high. Raising it from the default
is fine but having a value larger than your patience is likely to give you the
false impression that something is hung if you should ever get a deadlock.

--
  Gregory Stark

Re: 12 hour table vacuums

От
Bill Moran
Дата:

> Bill Moran wrote:
> >

> >> We vacuum only a few of our tables nightly, this one is the last one
> >> because it takes longer to run. I'll probably re-index it soon, but I
> >> would appreciate any advice on how to speed up the vacuum process (and
> >> the db in general).
> >>

> > I doubt anyone can provide meaningful advice without the output of
> > vacuum verbose.

Understood, however I may have spoken too soon.  It appears that Tom
found an obvious issue with your config that seems likely to be the
problem.

--

Tom Lane wrote:
> Here is your problem:
>

>> vacuum_cost_delay = 200
>>

> If you are only vacuuming when nothing else is happening, you shouldn't
> be using vacuum_cost_delay at all: set it to 0.  In any case this value
> is probably much too high.  I would imagine that if you watch the
> machine while the vacuum is running you'll find both CPU and I/O load
> near zero ... which is nice, unless you would like the vacuum to finish
> sooner.

Yeah, I've noticed that CPU, mem and I/O load are really low when this
is running. I'll change that setting.
> In unrelated comments:
>

>> maintenance_work_mem = 786432
>>

> That seems awfully high, too.

Any thoughts on a more reasonable value?
>> max_fsm_pages = 70000
>>

> And this possibly too low ---
The default appears to be 20000, so I upped it to 70000. I'll try 160000
(max_fsm_relations*16).
> are you sure you are not leaking disk
> space?

What do you mean leaking disk space?
>> stats_start_collector = off
>> stats_command_string = on
>> stats_block_level = on
>> stats_row_level = on
>>

> These are not self-consistent.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: 12 hour table vacuums

От
Ron St-Pierre
Дата:
Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Ron St-Pierre" <ron.pgsql@shaw.ca> writes:
>

>> We vacuum only a few of our tables nightly, this one is the last one because it
>> takes longer to run. I'll probably re-index it soon, but I would appreciate any
>> advice on how to speed up the vacuum process (and the db in general).

>> vacuum_cost_delay = 200
>>

> Well speeding up vacuum isn't really useful in itself. In fact you have vacuum
> configured to run quite slowly by having vacuum_cost_delay set so high. You
> have it set to sleep 200ms every few pages. If you lower that it'll run faster
> but take more bandwidth away from the foreground tasks.

It's okay if it uses a lot of resources, because it's scheduled to run
during the night (our slow time). Because most of the important queries
running during the day use this table, I want the vacuum analzye
finished ASAP.

>> Here's the table information:
>> The table has 140,000 rows, 130 columns (mostly NUMERIC), 60 indexes.
>>

> For what it's worth NUMERIC columns take more space than you might expect.
> Figure a minimum of 12 bytes your rows are at about 1.5k each even if the
> non-numeric columns aren't large themselves. What are the other columns?

The NUMERIC columns hold currency related values, with values ranging
from a few cents to the billions, as well as a few negative numbers.

>> We were running autovacuum but it interfered with the updates to we shut it
>> off.
>>

> Was it just the I/O bandwidth? I'm surprised as your vacuum_cost_delay is
> quite high. Manual vacuum doesn't do anything differently from autovacuum,
> neither should interfere directly with updates except by taking away
> I/O bandwidth.

I don't know what the problem was. I tried to exclude certain tables
from autovacuuming, but it autovacuumed anyway.

>> We vacuum this table nightly, and it currently takes about 12 hours to
>> vacuum it. Not much else is running during this period, nothing that should
>> affect the table.
>>

> Is this time increasing over time? If once a day isn't enough then you may be
> accumulating more and more dead space over time. In which case you may be
> better off running it during prime time with a large vacuum_cost_delay (like
> the 200 you have configured) rather than trying to get to run fast enough to
> fit in the off-peak period.
>

>> deadlock_timeout = 10000
>>

> I would not suggest having this quite this high. Raising it from the default
> is fine but having a value larger than your patience is likely to give you the
> false impression that something is hung if you should ever get a deadlock.

Good point. I'll look into this.

Thanks

Ron

Re: 12 hour table vacuums

От
Ron St-Pierre
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Ron St-Pierre wrote:
>

>> Okay, here's our system:
>>   postgres 8.1.4
>>

> Upgrade to 8.1.10

Any particular fixes in 8.1.10 that would help with this?

>> Here's the table information:
>> The table has 140,000 rows, 130 columns (mostly NUMERIC), 60 indexes.
>>

> 60 indexes?  You gotta be kidding.  You really have 60 columns on which
> to scan?

Really. 60 indexes. They're the most commonly requested columns for
company information (we believe). Any ideas on testing our assumptions
about that? I would like to know definitively what are the most popular
columns. Do you think that rules would be a good approach for this?
(Sorry if I'm getting way off topic here)
>> vacuum_cost_delay = 200
>> vacuum_cost_limit = 100
>>

> Isn't this a bit high?  What happens if you cut the delay to, say, 10?
> (considering you've lowered the limit to half the default)

Yes, Tom pointed this out too. I'll lower it and check out the results.

Ron

Re: 12 hour table vacuums

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:00:05 -0700
Ron St-Pierre <ron.pgsql@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Ron St-Pierre wrote:
> >

> >> Okay, here's our system:
> >>   postgres 8.1.4
> >>

> > Upgrade to 8.1.10
> >
> Any particular fixes in 8.1.10 that would help with this?
> >
> >> Here's the table information:
> >> The table has 140,000 rows, 130 columns (mostly NUMERIC), 60
> >
> > 60 indexes?  You gotta be kidding.  You really have 60 columns on
> > which to scan?
> >

> Really. 60 indexes. They're the most commonly requested columns for
> company information (we believe). Any ideas on testing our
> assumptions about that? I would like to know definitively what are
> the most popular columns. Do you think that rules would be a good
> approach for this? (Sorry if I'm getting way off topic here)

I suggest you:

1. Turn on stats and start looking in the stats columns to see what
indexes are actually being used.

2. Strongly review your normalization :)

Joshua D. Drake

            UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: 12 hour table vacuums

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 08:53 -0700, Ron St-Pierre wrote:
> The table gets updated only
> about 10 times a day.

So why are you VACUUMing it nightly? You should do this at the weekend
every 3 months...

8.1 is slower at VACUUMing indexes than later releases, so 60 indexes
are going to hurt quite a lot.

The default maintenance_work_mem is sufficient for this table.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: 12 hour table vacuums

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Ron St-Pierre wrote:
> Gregory Stark wrote:

>>> We were running autovacuum but it interfered with the updates to we
>>> shut it off.
>>
>> Was it just the I/O bandwidth? I'm surprised as your
>> vacuum_cost_delay is quite high. Manual vacuum doesn't do anything
>> differently from autovacuum, neither should interfere directly with
>> updates except by taking away I/O bandwidth.
>>
> I don't know what the problem was. I tried to exclude certain tables
> from autovacuuming, but it autovacuumed anyway.

Probably because of Xid wraparound issues.  Now that you're vacuuming
weekly it shouldn't be a problem.  (It's also much less of a problem in
8.2).

Re: 12 hour table vacuums

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Ron St-Pierre wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Ron St-Pierre wrote:
>>

>>> Okay, here's our system:
>>>   postgres 8.1.4
>>>

>> Upgrade to 8.1.10
>>
> Any particular fixes in 8.1.10 that would help with this?

I don't think so, but my guess is that you really want to avoid the
autovacuum bug which makes it vacuum without FREEZE on template0, that
has caused so many problems all over the planet.

>>> Here's the table information:
>>> The table has 140,000 rows, 130 columns (mostly NUMERIC), 60 indexes.
>>
>> 60 indexes?  You gotta be kidding.  You really have 60 columns on which
>> to scan?
>>

> Really. 60 indexes. They're the most commonly requested columns for company
> information (we believe). Any ideas on testing our assumptions about that?
> I would like to know definitively what are the most popular columns. Do you
> think that rules would be a good approach for this? (Sorry if I'm getting
> way off topic here)

As Josh Drake already said, you can check pg_stat* views to see which
indexes are not used.  Hard to say anything else without seeing the
definition.

Re: 12 hour table vacuums

От
Harald Fuchs
Дата:
In article <471E26E4.7040804@shaw.ca>,
Ron St-Pierre <ron.pgsql@shaw.ca> writes:

>> For what it's worth NUMERIC columns take more space than you might expect.
>> Figure a minimum of 12 bytes your rows are at about 1.5k each even if the
>> non-numeric columns aren't large themselves. What are the other columns?

> The NUMERIC columns hold currency related values, with values ranging
> from a few cents to the billions, as well as a few negative numbers.

What's the required precision? If it's just cents (or maybe tenths
thereof), you could use BIGINT to store the amount in this precision.
This would give you exact values with much less space.

Re: 12 hour table vacuums

От
Jean-David Beyer
Дата:
Ron St-Pierre wrote:
> We vacuum only a few of our tables nightly, this one is the last one
> because it takes longer to run. I'll probably re-index it soon, but I
> would appreciate any advice on how to speed up the vacuum process (and
> the db in general).

I am a novice to postgreSQL, so I have no answers for you. But for my own
education, I am confused by some of your post.

> Okay, here's our system:
>   postgres 8.1.4

I have postgresql-8.1.9-1.el5

>   Linux version 2.4.21

I imagine you mean Linux kernel version; I have 2.6.18-8.1.15.el5PAE

>   Red Hat Linux 3.2.3

I have no clue what this means. Red Hat Linux 3 must have been in the early
1990s. RHL 5 came out about 1998 IIRC.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, on the other hand, was not numbered like that,
as I recall. I no longer run that, but my current RHEL5 is named like this:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga)

and for my CentOS 4 system, it is

CentOS release 4.5 (Final)

Did RHEL3 go with the second dot in their release numbers? I do not remember
that.

>   8 GB ram
>   Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
>   Raid 5
>   autovacuum=off

Why would you not have that on?

>   serves as the application server and database server
>   server is co-located in another city, hardware upgrade is not
> currently an option
>
> Here's the table information:
> The table has 140,000 rows, 130 columns (mostly NUMERIC), 60 indexes.

I have designed databases, infrequently, but since the late 1970s. In my
experience, my tables had relatively few columns, rarely over 10. Are you
sure this table needs so many? Why not, e.g., 13 tables averaging 10 columns
each?

OTOH, 140,000 rows is not all that many. I have a 6,000,000 row table in my
little database on my desktop, and I do not even consider that large.
Imagine the size of a database belonging to the IRS, for example. Surely it
would have at least one row for each taxpayer and each employer (possibly in
two tables, or two databases).

Here are the last few lines of a VACUUM VERBOSE; command for that little
database. The 6,000,000 row table is not in the database at the moment, nor
are some of the other tables, but two relatively (for me) large tables are.

CPU 0.00s/0.00u sec elapsed 0.00 sec.
INFO:  free space map contains 166 pages in 76 relations
DETAIL:  A total of 1280 page slots are in use (including overhead).
1280 page slots are required to track all free space.
Current limits are:  40000 page slots, 1000 relations, using 299 KB.
VACUUM
stock=> select count(*) from ranks; [table has 10 columns]
 count
--------
 981030
(1 row)

stock=> select count(*) from ibd;   [table has 8 columns]
  count
---------
 1099789
(1 row)

And this is the time for running that psql process, most of which was
consumed by slow typing on my part.

real    1m40.206s
user    0m0.027s
sys     0m0.019s

My non-default settings for this are

# - Memory -

shared_buffers = 251000
work_mem  = 32768
max_fsm_pages  = 40000

I have 8GBytes RAM on this machine, and postgreSQL is the biggest memory
user. I set shared_buffers high to try to get some entire (small) tables in
RAM and to be sure there is room for indices.

 ^^-^^ 08:40:01 up 1 day, 58 min, 1 user, load average: 4.08, 4.13, 4.17