Re: 12 hour table vacuums

От Ron St-Pierre
Тема Re: 12 hour table vacuums
Дата
Re: 12 hour table vacuums  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Ron St-Pierre wrote:
>

>> Okay, here's our system:
>>   postgres 8.1.4
>>

> Upgrade to 8.1.10

Any particular fixes in 8.1.10 that would help with this?

>> Here's the table information:
>> The table has 140,000 rows, 130 columns (mostly NUMERIC), 60 indexes.
>>

> 60 indexes?  You gotta be kidding.  You really have 60 columns on which
> to scan?

Really. 60 indexes. They're the most commonly requested columns for
company information (we believe). Any ideas on testing our assumptions
about that? I would like to know definitively what are the most popular
columns. Do you think that rules would be a good approach for this?
(Sorry if I'm getting way off topic here)
>> vacuum_cost_delay = 200
>> vacuum_cost_limit = 100
>>

> Isn't this a bit high?  What happens if you cut the delay to, say, 10?
> (considering you've lowered the limit to half the default)

Yes, Tom pointed this out too. I'll lower it and check out the results.

Ron