Обсуждение: Performance Solaris vs Linux

Performance Solaris vs Linux

От
"Fredrik Bertilsson"
Дата:
Hi,
we are using Postgres on both Solaris servers and Linux servers, and Postgres are much slower on Solaris servers. We have tested with different versions of Solaris and Postgres, but the fact remains: Postgres seems to be much faster on Linux server. Does anybody else has the same experience?

Best regards,
Fredrik B

Re: Performance Solaris vs Linux

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Fredrik Bertilsson escribió:
> Hi,
> we are using Postgres on both Solaris servers and Linux servers, and
> Postgres are much slower on Solaris servers. We have tested with different
> versions of Solaris and Postgres, but the fact remains: Postgres seems to be
> much faster on Linux server. Does anybody else has the same experience?

You haven't specified where the slowness is.  Is it that connection
establishing is slower?  Are queries slower?  Is the hardware
comparable?  Are the filesystems configured similarly?

--
Alvaro Herrera                 http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34J
"Find a bug in a program, and fix it, and the program will work today.

Re: Performance Solaris vs Linux

От
Chris Mair
Дата:
Fredrik Bertilsson wrote:
> Hi,
> we are using Postgres on both Solaris servers and Linux servers, and
> Postgres are much slower on Solaris servers. We have tested with
> different versions of Solaris and Postgres, but the fact remains:
> Postgres seems to be much faster on Linux server. Does anybody else has
> the same experience?
>
> Best regards,
> Fredrik B

I had some performance problems on Solaris a while ago which let to
this interesting thread:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2006-04/thrd4.php#00035

executive summary:
  - write cache might be (unexpectedly) off by default on sun gear
  - set explicitly "wal_sync_method = fsync"
  - some other settings (see thread)

Bye,
Chris.

Re: Performance Solaris vs Linux

От
Julius Stroffek
Дата:
Hi Frederick,

There is an article about tunning the performance of PostgreSQL on Solaris at
http://tweakers.net/reviews/649/9

which is not quite exactly of what you wanted but it might help you.

I think that Solaris has disk cache turned off by default which linux does not have
due to possible data loss in case of a power failure.

Regards,

Julo

Fredrik Bertilsson wrote:
Hi,
we are using Postgres on both Solaris servers and Linux servers, and Postgres are much slower on Solaris servers. We have tested with different versions of Solaris and Postgres, but the fact remains: Postgres seems to be much faster on Linux server. Does anybody else has the same experience?

Best regards,
Fredrik B

Re: Autovacuum running forever

От
"Sachchida Ojha"

Is there any way to stop the autovacuum if it is running longer than 10 min or so?

Is it good idea to kill autovacuum if it is running longer than expected?

In my OLTP system, we are inserting, updating and deleting the data every second.

Autovacuum started and never finished slowing down the whole system.

Any help?

Thanks

Regards

sachi

Re: Autovacuum running forever

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On 8/21/07, Sachchida Ojha <sojha@secure-elements.com> wrote:

> Is there any way to stop the autovacuum if it is running longer than 10 min
> or so?
>
> Is it good idea to kill autovacuum if it is running longer than expected?
>
> In my OLTP system, we are inserting, updating and deleting the data every
> second.
>
> Autovacuum started and never finished slowing down the whole system.

It's probably better to adjust the sleep parameters in postgresql.conf
and then pg_ctl reload

You can kill the autovacuum backend, but it will just start up again
when the sleep time has passed.