Обсуждение: INSERT OU UPDATE WITHOUT SELECT?

INSERT OU UPDATE WITHOUT SELECT?

От
Waldomiro
Дата:
Hi,

Is there a command to Insert a record If It does not exists and a update if It exists?

I do not want to do a select before a insert or update.

I mean the postgres should test if a record exist before insert and if It exist then the postgres must do an update instead an insert.

Thanks,

WMiro.

Re: INSERT OU UPDATE WITHOUT SELECT?

От
"Jonah H. Harris"
Дата:

Sure, it's called MERGE.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merge_%28SQL%29

>  I mean the postgres should test if a record exist before insert and if It
> exist then the postgres must do an update instead an insert.

PostgreSQL does not support MERGE at the moment, sorry.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1300
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: INSERT OU UPDATE WITHOUT SELECT?

От
PFC
Дата:
> PostgreSQL does not support MERGE at the moment, sorry.

    Issue an UPDATE, and watch the rowcount ; if the rowcount is 0, issue an
INSERT.
    Be prepared to retry if another transaction has inserted the row
meanwhile, though.

    MERGE would be really useful.

Re: INSERT OU UPDATE WITHOUT SELECT?

От
Alvaro Herrera
PFC wrote:
> >PostgreSQL does not support MERGE at the moment, sorry.
>
>     Issue an UPDATE, and watch the rowcount ; if the rowcount is 0,
>     issue an  INSERT.
>     Be prepared to retry if another transaction has inserted the row
> meanwhile, though.

Oh, you mean, like the example that's in the documentation?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/plpgsql-control-structures.html#PLPGSQL-ERROR-TRAPPING

Example 36-1

>     MERGE would be really useful.

It has been discussed before -- MERGE is something different.

Re: INSERT OU UPDATE WITHOUT SELECT?

От
"Dave Dutcher"
Дата:
What I do when I'm feeling lazy is execute a delete statement and then
an insert.  I only do it when I'm inserting/updating a very small number
of rows, so I've never worried if its optimal for performance.  Besides
I've heard that an update in postgres is similar in performance to a
delete/insert.

"D'Arcy J.M. Cain"
Дата:
On Tue, 30 May 2006 17:54:00 -0500
"Dave Dutcher" <dave@tridecap.com> wrote:
> What I do when I'm feeling lazy is execute a delete statement and then
> an insert.  I only do it when I'm inserting/updating a very small number
> of rows, so I've never worried if its optimal for performance.  Besides
> I've heard that an update in postgres is similar in performance to a
> delete/insert.

Well, they are basically the same operation in PostgreSQL.  An update
adds a row to the end and marks the old one dead.  A delete/insert
marks the row dead and adds one at the end.  There may be some
optimization if the engine does both in one operation.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves

Re: INSERT OU UPDATE WITHOUT SELECT?

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 07:05:08PM -0400, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> On Tue, 30 May 2006 17:54:00 -0500
> "Dave Dutcher" <dave@tridecap.com> wrote:
> > What I do when I'm feeling lazy is execute a delete statement and then
> > an insert.  I only do it when I'm inserting/updating a very small number
> > of rows, so I've never worried if its optimal for performance.  Besides
> > I've heard that an update in postgres is similar in performance to a
> > delete/insert.
>
> Well, they are basically the same operation in PostgreSQL.  An update
> adds a row to the end and marks the old one dead.  A delete/insert
> marks the row dead and adds one at the end.  There may be some
> optimization if the engine does both in one operation.

The new tuple will actually go on the same page during an update, if
possible. If not, the FSM is consulted. Appending to the end of the
table is a last resort.

Update is more effecient than delete/insert. First, it's one less
statement to parse and plan. Second, AFAIK insert always goes to the
FSM; it has no way to know you're replacing the row(s) you just deleted.