Обсуждение: Postgres slower than MS ACCESS

Postgres slower than MS ACCESS

От
"Jay Greenfield"

I am running some simple queries to benchmark Postgres 8.1 against MS Access and Postgres is 2 to 3 times slower that Access.

Hardware:

Dell Optiplex GX280

P4 3.20 GHz

3GB RAM

Windows XP SP1

Database has one table with 1.2 million rows

Query:

UPDATE ntdn SET gha=area/10000

I could post the EXPLAIN ANALYZE results but its 4,000+ lines long

I’ve run various tests on a number of Postgres parameters; none of which have come close to Access’ time of 5.00 min.  Postgres times range between 24 min and 121 min.

Some of the Postgres variables and ranges I’ve tested.

work_mem:  1,000 to 2,000,000

temp_buffers:  1,000 to 10,000

shared_buffers:  1,000 to 64,000

sort_mem:  1,024,000

fsync on / off

Why does Access run so much faster?  How can I get Postgres to run as fast as Access?

Thanks,

Jay

Re: Postgres slower than MS ACCESS

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 09:51, Jay Greenfield wrote:
> I am running some simple queries to benchmark Postgres 8.1 against MS
> Access and Postgres is 2 to 3 times slower that Access.

A BUNCH OF STUFF SNIPPED

> Why does Access run so much faster?  How can I get Postgres to run as
> fast as Access?

Because Access is not a multi-user database management system designed
to handle anywhere from a couple to several thousand users at the same
time?

PostgreSQL can do this update while still allowing users to access the
data in the database, and can handle updates to the same table at the
same time, as long as they aren't hitting the same rows.

They're two entirely different beasts.

One is good at batch processing moderate amounts of data for one user at
a time.  The other is good for real time processing of very large
amounts of data for a fairly large number of users while running at an
acceptable, if slower speed.

Re: Postgres slower than MS ACCESS

От
"Jay Greenfield"
Дата:
Is it possible to configure Postgres to behave like Access - a single user
and use as much of the recourses as required?

Thanks,

Jay.
On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 09:51, Jay Greenfield wrote:
> I am running some simple queries to benchmark Postgres 8.1 against MS
> Access and Postgres is 2 to 3 times slower that Access.

A BUNCH OF STUFF SNIPPED

> Why does Access run so much faster?  How can I get Postgres to run as
> fast as Access?

Because Access is not a multi-user database management system designed
to handle anywhere from a couple to several thousand users at the same
time?

PostgreSQL can do this update while still allowing users to access the
data in the database, and can handle updates to the same table at the
same time, as long as they aren't hitting the same rows.

They're two entirely different beasts.

One is good at batch processing moderate amounts of data for one user at
a time.  The other is good for real time processing of very large
amounts of data for a fairly large number of users while running at an
acceptable, if slower speed.

       match

Re: Postgres slower than MS ACCESS

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 10:17, Jay Greenfield wrote:
> Is it possible to configure Postgres to behave like Access - a single user
> and use as much of the recourses as required?

No.  If you want something akin to that, try SQL Lite.  it's not as
featureful as PostgreSQL, but it's closer to it than Access.

Re: Postgres slower than MS ACCESS

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Jay Greenfield (jag@timberline.ca) wrote:
> Database has one table with 1.2 million rows
> Query:
>
> UPDATE ntdn SET gha=area/10000
>
> I could post the EXPLAIN ANALYZE results but its 4,000+ lines long

How do you get 4,000+ lines of explain analyze for one update query in a
database with only one table?  Something a bit fishy there.  Perhaps you
mean explain verbose, though I don't really see how that'd be so long
either, but it'd be closer.  Could you provide some more sane
information?

> I've run various tests on a number of Postgres parameters; none of which
> have come close to Access' time of 5.00 min.  Postgres times range between
> 24 min and 121 min.
>
> Some of the Postgres variables and ranges I've tested.
> work_mem:  1,000 to 2,000,000
> temp_buffers:  1,000 to 10,000
> shared_buffers:  1,000 to 64,000
> sort_mem:  1,024,000
> fsync on / off
>
> Why does Access run so much faster?  How can I get Postgres to run as fast
> as Access?

While it's true that Access almost certainly takes some shortcuts, 24
minutes for an update across 1.2 millon rows seems an awefully long time
for Postgres.  Is this table exceptionally large in same way (ie: lots
of columns)?  I expect running with fsync off would be closer to 'Access
mode' though it has risks (of course).  Also, it might be faster to
insert into a seperate table rather than run a huge update like that in
Postgres.  Also, if there are indexes on the table in question, you
might drop them before doing the update/insert and recreate them after
the query has finished.

You really havn't provided anywhere near enough information to figure
out what the actual problem is here.  Access does take shortcuts but the
times you're posting for Postgres seem quite far off based on the
hardware and commands you've described...

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Вложения

Re: Postgres slower than MS ACCESS

Дата:
> While it's true that Access almost certainly takes some shortcuts, 24
> minutes for an update across 1.2 millon rows seems an awefully long time
> for Postgres.

I did some experiments along this line with a trivial table (2 integer
columns) of 1.28M rows.  I used CVS tip with all parameters at defaults.
With no indexes, an UPDATE took about 50 seconds.  With one index, it
took 628 seconds.  It's not hard to believe you could get to Jay's
figures with multiple indexes.

Looking in the postmaster log, I see I was getting checkpoints every few
seconds.  Increasing checkpoint_segments to 30 (a factor of 10) brought
it down to 355 seconds, and then increasing shared_buffers to 20000
brought it down to 165 sec.  Separating WAL and data onto different
disks would have helped too, no doubt, but I'm too lazy to try it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgres slower than MS ACCESS

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> > While it's true that Access almost certainly takes some shortcuts, 24
> > minutes for an update across 1.2 millon rows seems an awefully long time
> > for Postgres.
>
> I did some experiments along this line with a trivial table (2 integer
> columns) of 1.28M rows.  I used CVS tip with all parameters at defaults.
> With no indexes, an UPDATE took about 50 seconds.  With one index, it
> took 628 seconds.  It's not hard to believe you could get to Jay's
> figures with multiple indexes.

With multiple indexes, you might want to drop them and recreate them
when you're updating an entire table.

> Looking in the postmaster log, I see I was getting checkpoints every few
> seconds.  Increasing checkpoint_segments to 30 (a factor of 10) brought
> it down to 355 seconds, and then increasing shared_buffers to 20000
> brought it down to 165 sec.  Separating WAL and data onto different
> disks would have helped too, no doubt, but I'm too lazy to try it.

Sure, this was kind of my point, we need more information about the
database if we're going to have much of a chance of improving the
results he's seeing.  165 seconds is certainly a great deal better than
24 minutes. :)

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Вложения

Re: Postgres slower than MS ACCESS

От
"Jay Greenfield"
Дата:
> How do you get 4,000+ lines of explain analyze for one update query in a
> database with only one table?  Something a bit fishy there.  Perhaps you
> mean explain verbose, though I don't really see how that'd be so long
> either, but it'd be closer.  Could you provide some more sane
> information?

My mistake - there was 4,000 lines in the EXPLAIN ANALYZE VERBOSE output.
Here is the output of EXPLAIN ANALYZE:

QUERY PLAN
"Seq Scan on ntdn  (cost=0.00..3471884.39 rows=1221391 width=1592) (actual
time=57292.580..1531300.003 rows=1221391 loops=1)"
"Total runtime: 4472646.988 ms"

> Is this table exceptionally large in same way (ie: lots
> of columns)?

The table is 1.2 million rows X 246 columns.  The only index is the primary
key.  I will try to remove that index to see if that improves performance at
all.

Jay

> While it's true that Access almost certainly takes some shortcuts, 24
> minutes for an update across 1.2 millon rows seems an awefully long time
> for Postgres.

I did some experiments along this line with a trivial table (2 integer
columns) of 1.28M rows.  I used CVS tip with all parameters at defaults.
With no indexes, an UPDATE took about 50 seconds.  With one index, it
took 628 seconds.  It's not hard to believe you could get to Jay's
figures with multiple indexes.

Looking in the postmaster log, I see I was getting checkpoints every few
seconds.  Increasing checkpoint_segments to 30 (a factor of 10) brought
it down to 355 seconds, and then increasing shared_buffers to 20000
brought it down to 165 sec.  Separating WAL and data onto different
disks would have helped too, no doubt, but I'm too lazy to try it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgres slower than MS ACCESS

Дата:
"Jay Greenfield" <jag@timberline.ca> writes:
> The table is 1.2 million rows X 246 columns.  The only index is the primary
> key.  I will try to remove that index to see if that improves performance at
> all.

Hmm, the large number of columns might have something to do with it ...
what datatypes are the columns?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgres slower than MS ACCESS

От
"Jay Greenfield"
Дата:
> Hmm, the large number of columns might have something to do with it ...
> what datatypes are the columns?

All sorts, but mostly float4 and varchar(2 to 10)

Jay

> The table is 1.2 million rows X 246 columns.  The only index is the
primary
> key.  I will try to remove that index to see if that improves performance
at
> all.

Hmm, the large number of columns might have something to do with it ...
what datatypes are the columns?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgres slower than MS ACCESS

От
Jeff Trout
Дата:
On Feb 14, 2006, at 3:56 PM, Jay Greenfield wrote:

>> How do you get 4,000+ lines of explain analyze for one update
>> query in a
>> database with only one table?  Something a bit fishy there.
>> Perhaps you
>> mean explain verbose, though I don't really see how that'd be so long
>> either, but it'd be closer.  Could you provide some more sane
>> information?
>
> My mistake - there was 4,000 lines in the EXPLAIN ANALYZE VERBOSE
> output.
> Here is the output of EXPLAIN ANALYZE:
>
> QUERY PLAN
> "Seq Scan on ntdn  (cost=0.00..3471884.39 rows=1221391 width=1592)
> (actual
> time=57292.580..1531300.003 rows=1221391 loops=1)"
> "Total runtime: 4472646.988 ms"

Have you been vacuuming or running autovacuum?
If you keep running queries like this you're certianly going to have
a ton of dead tuples, which would def explain these times too.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/

Re: Postgres slower than MS ACCESS

От
"Jay Greenfield"
Дата:
I've been vacuuming between each test run.

Not vacuuming results in times all the way up to 121 minutes.  For a direct
comparison with Access, the vacuuming time with Postgres should really be
included as this is not required with Access.

By removing all of the indexes I have been able to get the Postgres time
down to 4.35 minutes with default setting for all except the following:
fsync:  off
work_mem:  1024000
shared_buffers:  10000

I did a run with checkpoint_segments @ 30 (from 3 in 4.35 min run) and
posted a time of 6.78 minutes.  Any idea why this would increase the time?

Thanks,

Jay.

On Feb 14, 2006, at 3:56 PM, Jay Greenfield wrote:

>> How do you get 4,000+ lines of explain analyze for one update
>> query in a
>> database with only one table?  Something a bit fishy there.
>> Perhaps you
>> mean explain verbose, though I don't really see how that'd be so long
>> either, but it'd be closer.  Could you provide some more sane
>> information?
>
> My mistake - there was 4,000 lines in the EXPLAIN ANALYZE VERBOSE
> output.
> Here is the output of EXPLAIN ANALYZE:
>
> QUERY PLAN
> "Seq Scan on ntdn  (cost=0.00..3471884.39 rows=1221391 width=1592)
> (actual
> time=57292.580..1531300.003 rows=1221391 loops=1)"
> "Total runtime: 4472646.988 ms"

Have you been vacuuming or running autovacuum?
If you keep running queries like this you're certianly going to have
a ton of dead tuples, which would def explain these times too.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/
http://www.stuarthamm.net/

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Re: Postgres slower than MS ACCESS

Дата:
"Jay Greenfield" <jag@timberline.ca> writes:
> I did a run with checkpoint_segments @ 30 (from 3 in 4.35 min run) and
> posted a time of 6.78 minutes.  Any idea why this would increase the time?

The first time through might take longer while the machine creates empty
xlog segment files (though I'd not have expected a hit that big).  Once
it's fully populated pg_xlog it'll just recycle the files, so you might
find that a second try is faster.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgres slower than MS ACCESS

От
Peter Childs

I've been vacuuming between each test run.

Not vacuuming results in times all the way up to 121 minutes.  For a direct
comparison with Access, the vacuuming time with Postgres should really be
included as this is not required with Access.

Hmm but then you would have to include Access Vacuum too I'll think you will find "Tools -> Database Utils -> Compact Database" preforms a simular purpose and is just as important as I've seen many Access Databases bloat in my time.

Peter Childs